Wierd timing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wierd timing

I have a 96 Chev w/305 and I can not set the timing on the distribuitor, pull it out few times try w/ piston #1 and the whole drama but every time when I move the distr gets wrong my snap-on scanner can't read the timing either; mech friend tell me I may have too loose timing chain or jump timing... truck has 160k on the odo help anyone!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp
I have a 96 Chev w/305 and I can not set the timing on the distribuitor, pull it out few times try w/ piston #1 and the whole drama but every time when I move the distr gets wrong my snap-on scanner can't read the timing either; mech friend tell me I may have too loose timing chain or jump timing... truck has 160k on the odo help anyone!!!!
Your '96 Chevy has (or should have) a computer controlled ignition system. This system controls the timing once it has been set initially.

Since you have removed the distributor I suggest that it be re-installed in the following manner.

Remove the #1 spark plug. Place a finger over (not in it) the spark plug hole. Rotate the engine over slowly. As the engine approaches the firing position for the #1 cylinder your finger will be pushed away from the spark plug hole. Continue to slowly rotate the engine until the timing mark on the harmonic damper and the "0" mark on timing pointer on the cam cover are lined up. At this point the rotor in the distributor should be pointing towards where the #1 spark plug wire is located in the cap. If not, you will have to lift the distributor up some so that you can rotate the distributor shaft and enable the rotor to line up correctly. You also may have to remove the distributor completely so that you can rotate the oil pump drive shaft to get it to align with the distributor shaft.

The procedure to further check/set the timing with a computer controlled system will be outlined in any good shop manual.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp
What snap-on scanner do you have? Do you have a hard code of P1345? Service Engine Soon light on?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
What snap-on scanner do you have? Do you have a hard code of P1345? Service Engine Soon light on?
Snap-on SOLUS PRO and yes I have that code... I have spend few hours going in circles somebody else took the truck apart and I "putting it" back together and any "hints" will help Tks
Old 08-01-2009, 06:18 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp
Snap-on SOLUS PRO and yes I have that code... I have spend few hours going in circles somebody else took the truck apart and I "putting it" back together and any "hints" will help Tks
solus has a troubleshooter built in that can help you with the problem.
om the main menu where it has codes and data, there should also be a troubleshooter. in there you can find tsb's (if applicable) and code and symptom tips to help you localize and fix the problem with the truck your working on... gl
Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp
Code P1345 is for the Cam, and Crank synchronization being off. In the trouble shooter, find Tests and Procedures, open that up and look for Set Cam Timing, open this up. It will show you the Cam sensor timing, it has to be set to 0 degrees. If it shows a - number, loosen the distributor just enough to turn it, and turn it counter clockwise. If it shows a + number you will have to turn the distributor clockwise.

After each (little) adjustment goose the throttle to around 2000 rpm, and let it back down to idle. It will then show you a new (+ or-) number.

NOTE: You must clear the code first, before starting this procedure.

Do you have any questions?

Stephen
Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
Code P1345 is for the Cam, and Crank synchronization being off. In the trouble shooter, find Tests and Procedures, open that up and look for Set Cam Timing, open this up. It will show you the Cam sensor timing, it has to be set to 0 degrees. If it shows a - number, loosen the distributor just enough to turn it, and turn it counter clockwise. If it shows a + number you will have to turn the distributor clockwise.

After each (little) adjustment goose the throttle to around 2000 rpm, and let it back down to idle. It will then show you a new (+ or-) number.

NOTE: You must clear the code first, before starting this procedure.

Do you have any questions?

Stephen
I'd exactly that and I even remove the dist few times and jump one gear tooth back and one forward pass the "0" mark and still no luck... the dist has a fix base (can NOT be adjusted, but I install one hold down piece and bolt so I can turn the dist and "adjust" it)

I'd check the crank sensor -Ok- and the cam sensor I'd intall a new one w/the whole distribuitor... any hints???
Old 08-01-2009, 02:08 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp
I'd exactly that and I even remove the dist few times and jump one gear tooth back and one forward pass the "0" mark and still no luck... the dist has a fix base (can NOT be adjusted, but I install one hold down piece and bolt so I can turn the dist and "adjust" it)

I'd check the crank sensor -Ok- and the cam sensor I'd intall a new one w/the whole distribuitor... any hints???
I have never seen a GM distributor that you cannot turn to make adjustments with. The information I posted, is directly from my diagnostic scanner, under trouble shooting for your application, and the code P1345. I also have had to make this adjustment 3 times in the last 2 months for this very same hard code.

When you say someone else took it apart, and you are putting it back together, check to make sure you did not miss hooking up any ground wires to the engine.

Post a picture of this non-turnable distributor.

By the way: "I'd" is short for I would, not I did.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.