Wife Panic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Wife Panic

I got a panicked call from my wife yesterday afternoon telling me to get into town right now, she was stranded at the convenience store, something about the Jeep shutting itself off, she wasn't going to go into details but she insisted I come right now! I got into the Oldsmobile and drove to town wondering and worrying about her the whole way. As I pulled into Casey's I saw our Jeep Cherokee sitting between the pumps closest to the store at a strange angle with my wife sitting in it. I parked the Olds and walked over to her. I saw the problem, the turn signal was pointed straight up and the key was pointed down. I told her we should push it out of the way and she told me I wouldn't be able to steer it. I began to push it backwards, turning the wheels as I went. She saw that it would indeed turn and helped me push. We got it out of the way and I took a good look at it. One of her friends came up and they started chatting away. She told the friend that I would probably haul it home to work on it. The friend wondered how I would haul it and my wife replied, "He will just drag it home with a tractor."

I was wishing that I would have drove the pickup in so I would have had some tools with but the car is a lot faster and she had me worried so I didn't want to mess with firing up the diesel. I did happen to have a hammer and garden sheers in the Jeep and I used them to break the plastic cover on the non-tilt part of the steering column so I could access the switch rod. I had the Jeep running in a couple of minutes and drove it home.

From what I gather on the internet there are 4 bolts that have a tendency to loosen up in these columns. I fished one out that was laying loose in the plastic cover. I bet they all worked out. I ordered a special tilt wheel pin puller from NAPA but it didn't come in today since they had to order it from Omaha since they were out in Des Moines. When the puller comes in tomorrow I can pull it apart and fix it. I have a wrecked parts Jeep just in case I can't find all the bolts or if it's too worn.

I have a great wife but she doesn't like to deal with breakdowns.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I hear ya.

My wife still complains about the day I had her stick her comb in the choke to get my old '68 Torino to fire up. (351C w/ a 3310 Holley)

This was in response to a panic call in 1980 or so ...
Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Our ZJ developed the dreaded p0351 stall issue. I resoldered the board inside the pcm and now it runs fine but my old lady is too shell shocked to drive it anymore. Now it's going to new home after owning it for 6 months and I get to pay craigslist markup on a low mileage import sedan... I feel your pain.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Jeeze, you guys have it easy, I get a call that she bumped into someone leaving the park and ride after work, said the breaks felt "funny"
I get there, the brake light is on (1988 tempo) and the half the master is dry . She says its been on for weeks but she forgot to tell me. Blown rear brake line.....unreal.....weeks!
Then 6 months later calls and says her van (aerostar) made a funny noise, then Seemed to run over something and smoke and quit. I rush home, she has walked already cause its a few blocks away from where it broke, we drive to it together, and guess what she ran over? Most of a con rod and piston......big exit wound in the block..... ask her how long was it knocking for? She says.....again.......a few weeks........sigh.....it did however fire up with your foot on the floor and make it home......at 15mph.....smokmg.......and shaking.......yep......18 happy years......but my wife is not a "car girl" lol
Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Is she still a Ford fan, bygddy?

(Sorry couldn't resist.)
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
Is she still a Ford fan, bygddy?

(Sorry couldn't resist.)
Lol....drives an 09 Charger now......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.