Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wiki: "How Can I Title My Hot Rod"
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle69
Trying to buy a 1950 international pickup from a guy who has no title he wont try to get a duplicate but says he will do bill of sale. anyone know how to get it titled? maybe a hot rod title or something or if anyone wants to sell a title? or another international pickup? i live in maryland if that helps

thanks
I'm afraid that without a title you may be out of luck. Most states title older cars but some like Alabama don't. If you're purchasing the vehicle from one of the states that does not title an older car then according to the Maryland DMV submitting a bill of sale is OK but you will need to submit the registration from the state of purchase as well. Maryland DMV states, "The ownership document must be properly assigned to you. A registration document and bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership ONLY if the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership."

If the vehicle is from a state that titles older cars then you will need a title to register it in Maryland. Purchasing a title from another vehicle and passing it off as the original for the vehicle you're trying to title is Fraud and is a quick ticket to the big house, so don't try it. Also purchasing a title through a "title company" may or may not be legal in Maryland so before you spend a couple hundred bucks with one of those services ask your local DMV first.

Best option is NOT TO BUY a vehicle that has no title or where the current owner refuses to apply for a lost title. Chances are very good ITS STOLEN!