Hot Rod Forum banner

Wiki: "How Can I Title My Hot Rod"

25K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
The question "How can I title my hot rod?" comes up very frequently on the Hotrodders Bulletin Board.

Rather than discuss this question repeatedly, we've set up a wiki page to cover this topic. A wiki is an article that anyone can edit. It's similar to a bulletin board discussion. However, on a wiki, everyone works together to edit the same "post".

If you have any information on titling and registering hot rods in your state or country, please add to the wiki page.

To do so, simply click this link: How to Title a Hot Rod .

Then, click any of the "edit" links to immediately edit the relevant text.

#3 ·
How to get a title

Trying to buy a 1950 international pickup from a guy who has no title he wont try to get a duplicate but says he will do bill of sale. anyone know how to get it titled? maybe a hot rod title or something or if anyone wants to sell a title? or another international pickup? i live in maryland if that helps

thanks

#4 ·
Chevelle69 said:
Trying to buy a 1950 international pickup from a guy who has no title he wont try to get a duplicate but says he will do bill of sale. anyone know how to get it titled? maybe a hot rod title or something or if anyone wants to sell a title? or another international pickup? i live in maryland if that helps

thanks
I'm afraid that without a title you may be out of luck. Most states title older cars but some like Alabama don't. If you're purchasing the vehicle from one of the states that does not title an older car then according to the Maryland DMV submitting a bill of sale is OK but you will need to submit the registration from the state of purchase as well. Maryland DMV states, "The ownership document must be properly assigned to you. A registration document and bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership ONLY if the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership."

If the vehicle is from a state that titles older cars then you will need a title to register it in Maryland. Purchasing a title from another vehicle and passing it off as the original for the vehicle you're trying to title is Fraud and is a quick ticket to the big house, so don't try it. Also purchasing a title through a "title company" may or may not be legal in Maryland so before you spend a couple hundred bucks with one of those services ask your local DMV first.

Best option is NOT TO BUY a vehicle that has no title or where the current owner refuses to apply for a lost title. Chances are very good ITS STOLEN!

#5 ·
Centerline said:
...Best option is NOT TO BUY a vehicle...where the current owner refuses to apply for a lost title. Chances are very good ITS STOLEN!
This part of your post immediately raised my antennae as well. If I were you I would offer to pay whatever state fees are required for securing a lost title and if the current owner still balks, I'd walk away from the deal. Something's fishy. Replacement titles are a straightforward process in most states...providing there is nothing to hide.

I also second Centerline's warning about using another vehicle's title to title your's, This is not legal and if caught, "the consequences will never be the same" so to speak.

As noted, you might also have the possibility of a bonded title. Be aware that these are only accepted in certain states. Your DMV office or the bonding company will tell you immediately if you can use this process in your situation. In fact, most of the bonding companies on the web (at least the good ones) will have a section on their site listing out the states where their bonds are accepted. But as Centerline suggests, make sure BEFOREHAND that you can do this. Also, this process usually costs over $200. So a replacement title is much more economical.

#7 ·
no title

In MN. Minnesota Street Rod Association does a lot with the state, just to keep the old cars around. we even have a lobbyist and legislative committee, that watches over all bills pertaining to old cars. So it is not a lost fight if you need a title, if you have a bill of sale you can apply for a title, there is a little more paper work, but it is pretty simple you must bond the car for so many years also. I have only done it once, but it worked. As far as getting titles from out of state that used to work years ago,but not anymore unless you have the car, the title won't work, they do have people look at it and they know were the cars a stamped and most of the time they have one on the frame.

Later 35terraplane

Also welcome I'm new also , great bunch of guys, anyone of them could come to my shop for a pop anytime, barley that is.

#8 ·
Titling in Georgia

Georgia is a backward state in a lot of ways but it's easy to title a rod. The state does not issue titles for cars older than 25 years old so all I need is a hand written bill of sale and a binder from my insurance company that I have minimum coverage on it then the tag is 20 bucks and the ad valorem tax on my 52 Chevy is about $4.
Come on down, title your rod in Georgia, then go back to your state with your Georgia paperwork. They never even look at the car unless you don't have a VIN number then a local policeman will verify it doesn't have a vin and you send in paperwork that says they looked at it and your bill of sale and they issue you a new Vin tag and number.
Good luck getting yours on the road.
Klif50

#10 ·
Titling in Georgia

The tag office does not do any inspection of the car if you have a VIN number and a bill of sale (and proof of insurance). My 52 will be insured and tagged by Monday even though it won't be on the road for a couple of weeks, just in case we need to take it for a test drive or 20.
Klif50

#11 ·
old car title

they won't say anything if the insurance card says Minnesota, like why do you want to get tags here when it's insured in Minnesota. Will they ask what my address is if I say I'm moving down there. I'm not trying to put you through the grinder, but I go to FL. every winter and I don't want to get in a hassle with them if I stop for tags.

35terraplane

#12 ·
It looks like it might be harder than I thought. You are going to have to have a county residence in the county where you register your car and a mailing address in that county since they mail out renewals each year. Might not be as good of an idea as I first thought. You might look at this site and it will give you all the official information http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/car-registration.php
Hope this helps.
Klif50

#13 ·
title old cars

I just thought of the address thing while I was Typing. I think it might work if you had a bill of sale from GA. and Then got Your Insurance down there if they have State Farm and then transfer it up here after you get tags. That won't work either your INS. would have your Mn. address.
Oh well thanks for the help we tried to make a plan but sometimes plans don't come together.

Thanks again

Later 35terraplane

#14 ·
Airboat smallblock

Hey get a local person in Georgia, to title the vehicle in there name then after all is done and Title in hand have them transfer it back to you in MN, I'm sure someone in Georgia would do it for you for a fee,,, you don't even have to take the vehicle anywhere just get the paper work done, here in FL as long as you have insurance for some vehicle you can title and tag any vehicle you want to register,,,Good Luck

#15 ·
I find this very interesting ,and on my mind all the time.I have a 59 "I think" angila,it's an old gasser from the 60's super bell droper axel 58 BPO rear end 2x4 fram.But no titel no ser number plate. I have had this car for for 21 years just siting hoping to find a body with a vin plate.

Back in the 80's I had a 63 nova gasser same thing no titel no vin plate. I was working on it at the house and went down the street to test the brakes that were pulling to one side,and yes I should not have been driving it on the street long story short cops took it and I never saw it again, as I could not prove it was mine, to get it out of inpound.

So I dont want to put any time or money into the angila till I can get a title.
Sucks to be me :mad:

#16 ·
Titling in NY

Hello! I read the wiki about titling a rod in New York. I am looking at buying a car from a guy that has yet to be VIN'd. Can I stamp the MSO on the frame and have him fill the forms out and have it be legal? I'm a little unclear as to exactly how to do the "short" way in NY. This is important as being able to title the car is vital to the deal. Thanks.

#17 ·
Hello! I read the wiki about titling a rod in New York. I am looking at buying a car from a guy that has yet to be VIN'd.

If I were in your shoes my position would be "no title...no deal". It is the seller's responsibility to provide the buyer with a good and clear title whenever you provide good and clear money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.