Wild Nostalgia drags mishap. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Wild Nostalgia drags mishap.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Dude was well and truly out of it. As in knocked out. Thank God he was against the wall and not shooting down the strip at max speed before hitting whatever is down there. I'm a little surprised the slicks didn't hurl chunks, that could have been bad for the safety workers.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Dude was well and truly out of it. As in knocked out. Thank God he was against the wall and not shooting down the strip at max speed before hitting whatever is down there. I'm a little surprised the slicks didn't hurl chunks, that could have been bad for the safety workers.
What I don't understand is where the hell is the outside kill switch on the damn thing? Isn't it suppose to be right on the back of the cage? I would think though scary as hell it could have been shut down.

Yes he is so lucky he hit like he did and the car was held there.

Brian
Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
What I don't understand is where the hell is the outside kill switch on the damn thing? Isn't it suppose to be right on the back of the cage? I would think though scary as hell it could have been shut down.

Yes he is so lucky he hit like he did and the car was held there.

Brian
I was wondering the same thing. I would be training my track employees after this incident, it felt like forever before something was done. He is lucky nothing burned up. I wonder what the track's insurance company felt about this.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
its a nitro car there is no kill switch on the outside , just the fuel cutoff and magneto kill in the drivers compartment

with that front engine car , and the tires spinning there is no way anyone would have got near enough to hit the fuel and ignition kills

looks like they killed it by spraying a co2 extinguisher into the injection stacks

also note that on most nitro engines killing the magneto will not kill the engine u have to cut both the fuel and ignition to get them to shut down

Last edited by Project89; 08-05-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
its a nitro car there is no kill switch on the outside , just the fuel cutoff and magneto kill in the drivers compartment

with that front engine car , and the tires spinning there is no way anyone would have got near enough to hit the fuel and ignition kills

looks like they killed it by spraying a co2 extinguisher into the injection stacks

also note that on most nitro engines killing the magneto will not kill the engine u have to cut both the fuel and ignition to get them to shut down
Good info! As close as he was to the starting line, it still (IMO) took too long to get help to him.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Looked like someone tried to get in and toss something over the injector stacks to try and cut off air and kill the engine. But I was also surprised at how long it took people to react in any way. Thought someone would have gotten an extinguisher quicker and started shooting it into the engine area.
Did anyone notice all the people casually going about their business in the background? What goes through somebody's head when I guy is in trouble, and you just go about your way like nothing is going on?
What a sad thing for the owner. Nice old rail destroyed, but glad the driver is OK!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
That is scary. Did anyone get the details of exactly what happened and why?

John
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Looked like someone tried to get in and toss something over the injector stacks to try and cut off air and kill the engine. But I was also surprised at how long it took people to react in any way. Thought someone would have gotten an extinguisher quicker and started shooting it into the engine area.
Did anyone notice all the people casually going about their business in the background? What goes through somebody's head when I guy is in trouble, and you just go about your way like nothing is going on?
What a sad thing for the owner. Nice old rail destroyed, but glad the driver is OK!
what pray tell should they have done, jumped the 4" fence 6" above the track, with no training , not knowing what to do..
hell some here thought there would be a kill switch on a nitro car. in the back..
the safety crew might have to answering to do.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
Good info! As close as he was to the starting line, it still (IMO) took too long to get help to him.
thanks , i grew up around my uncles alky and nitro cars.unfrotunatly that was kind of quick depending on the event it was at, for nhra events they have more well trained ppl in all the different types of cars that will be running.and i belive it would have been handled much faster had it been something liek an nhra pro event i.e top fuel funny cars etc

i rember when i was younger i went with my uncle to maple grove, or numedia raceway in pa for a points race, first round elims and my uncle was in the first pair. they go down the track and we go down to tow the car back to the pits.

the next pair is my uncles good friend and another racer, were just starting to tow my uncles dragster back up return road when the next pair goes.His friends car broke a wing strut @ 250mph and went up over the guard rail flipped and hit the scoreboard tower breaking the car into pieces.

my uncle and the guy he raced+ some other pit crews from other cars were there well before any emergency crew, and from what i do rember the announcer was yelling cause it took forever for the tracks crew to get there including the ambulance
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

With the tires that hot... I think running up to the car would get someone hurt really fast.... They don't have much fuel in the tank for saftey reason's... It wouldn't run to long anyway... Sad to see...
Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Don't miss the worst part. They get it shut down and this guy pulls up in a truck,gets out,walks to the crash,takes out his camera and takes a picture of him still in the car knocked out,then helps to get the driver out.

The guy with the camera is a blood thirsty scum bag low life that should be ban from drag racing for life.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Don't miss the worst part. They get it shut down and this guy pulls up in a truck,gets out,walks to the crash,takes out his camera and takes a picture of him still in the car knocked out,then helps to get the driver out.

The guy with the camera is a blood thirsty scum bag low life that should be ban from drag racing for life.
sorry, it's called covering your butt from a lawsuit...
welcome to todays world..

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.