Will a 350 fit in the Proper place? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dodge View Post
What is the smallest engine you guys would recommend for a car like this? i really dont need anything too powerful. i just want to cruise. I would like to be able to get up to 65MPH no problem so i could drive the freeway. but I want somethin that I know for sure is going to fit without having to cut too much to make it fit. May not even be possible. I know this thing is a mess right now and is nothing but a nightmare but i am going to fix this! Most say to get rid of it but i dont want that!
A later model Chrysler OHV 6 cylinder would be a shoe in and get you to 65mph.
Chrysler also had a small block V8 in 273, 318 and 340 cubic inch sizes. They are all the same dimensionally and are a tad smaller than the Pontiac. Pontiac used the same size block dimensions all the way up to 455.

In the early to mid 60's the 273 came in a 4 barrel configuration that would be a lot of fun in that car and keep the same bloodline...

I'm a Chev guy all the way but there are too many transplants of sbc into everything else. It would be fun and different to stay with a Chrysler engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for that! Ill look in that direction! and I think that would be fun and i do love to be different! Im a chevy guy as well, i never thought i would own anything other than a Chevy but this was given to me so I said heck ya i want it! Plus its a beautiful lookin car and has so much potential!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM

maybe a shadow 2.4 turbo( for economy,lol)
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Engine ID

Since you have a Pontiac engine, depending on casting numbers it may be valuable. If you are on a budget and just want a reliable engine to get down the road you cant beat the low cost of a small block chevy and a turbo 350 trans. Both have been installed in just about any chassis, reliable, great parts availibilty, decent power and won't break the bank. Ford 302/c4 combo is a close second. The ford is slightly narrower and having a front mounted distributor allows for firewall clearence in small chassis, confined space vehicles. Good luck on your project!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

That sounds good! It seems i def have some options! I am on a budget and from what I hear the engine i have may be worth something. However is it worth anything if it doesnt run? I have no idea yet if it runs or not!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dodge View Post
That sounds good! It seems i def have some options! I am on a budget and from what I hear the engine i have may be worth something. However is it worth anything if it doesnt run? I have no idea yet if it runs or not!
Get the casting munber off the back of the block and start there. If it is a smog era 350, you have a free boat anchor. A pre '73 400 may be worth getting running to see what you have.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:37 PM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Take a look at the frame / steering and suspension on my 48 Plymouth. If yours looks the same you still have the stock frame.

Anything will fit if you have the money, skills, tools to do it. I have seen 426 Hemis in these, so if that will fit then a small block will.

Now, if you have the stock frame / suspension and want to run the stock steering and a V8 while moving the engine forward, you will need to offset your engine 1.5 - 2.0 inches toward the passenger side. Not a big deal as Chrysler did this for years during the muscle car era to shoehorn the V8 into their smaller cars. If you want to go to a rack and pinion, there are kits available on the market or they are fairly simple to fab up yourself.

If you still have the stock frame / suspension there is no need to do a subframe swap or a full frame swap. Mopar was well ahead of their time with their independent front suspensions. They only screwed up in one area and that was mounting the upper shock mount to the upper A-Arm. You can easily move the upper mount to the frame and solve that issue. There are disc brake kits available for these as well. Then just do a stock rebuild and you are good to go.

I am on my second 48 Plymouth. The first I had professionally subframed and on my current I have the stock front end. I can tell you that the stock unit drives and rides just as good as the subframed car and with the disc brakes stops as well too. The rebuild of the stock suspension and addition of the discs might cost a little more than adding a subframe then rebuilding the suspension / brakes, but you will see a much shorter down time and all your sheet metal / bumpers will fit without having to build all new mounting brackets / points.

Now you ask what engine to use to get you up to 65mph. Well the 1957 230 Plymouth flathead 6 in my 48 Plymouth running through an overdrive transmission and 4.10:1 gears will cruise at 70mph all day long. I have taken multiple 1000 mile round trips with it and had no issues on the highway logging 19+ mpg. A 318 or 360 Mopar small block would do great with your car. Any of the V6's from a RAM pickup would work as well. The 3.9 Liter used from 1987-97 was basically a 318 with cylinders lopped off.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I have a complete running parts car with a flat head six so anything you need you can have, all I want is the body...
Do you have the dash ??? what about the pieces they cut out of the fire wall do you have any of that???
The first thing I'd do is yank that sucker outa there and fix all that all the while deciding which way to go with the drive train...
I havent seen one in a while but that ole slant six was a heck of a motor....
Old 06-28-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
DBM...I may be wrong, but it looks to me like you have some sort of GM clip or a different frame than original....That would make some difference...although I agree there was no nreason to set the engine back as far as it is
Your not wrong Ponch, 80 camaro subframe,95 Impala 12" rotors ,spindle and A arms, air ride ,2000 camaro pwr rack and a few U joints in the steering ...But it really makes no difference a 350 will still fit right in the original frame too ...mine was SOOOO ruff there was no saving it so I wacked it off and welded this on it was actually fun for me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5229.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	75231   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5231.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	75232   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6100.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	75233   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6101.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	75234   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7317.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	75235  

Old 06-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I have a complete running parts car with a flat head six so anything you need you can have, all I want is the body...
Do you have the dash ??? what about the pieces they cut out of the fire wall do you have any of that???
The first thing I'd do is yank that sucker outa there and fix all that all the while deciding which way to go with the drive train...
I havent seen one in a while but that ole slant six was a heck of a motor....
Wow you have a compelte running parts car? Id love to get some of the stuff you have, ill have to save up some money for the parts but i sure would love to pick it apart!

As far as the dash, I have the frame for the dash, the chrome parts of the dash are gone, an ex friend stole them from me and i was never able to get them back. and no I dont have the pieces they cut out of the fire wall!

I am getting ready to move it to a place that I can actually work on it so once I have the space Im gonna break it down and fix everything while trying to find out which way to go. My main goal right now is get it running. I dont care if the car looks horrible forever as long as I can drive the thing! So after fixing the firewall I need to find a running motor, I dont know if what I have in there runs, but i think its too big for what I want anyways.

You and I will def be in contact because id love to pick some pieces from you. Although you are across the country from me Im sure we can figure out a way that is cost effective.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM

I also know a few guys closer to you that can help you out...meanwhile try this site Forum for P15-D24.com & Pilot-house.com

BTW anything I have that you need is free you just pay shipping...I can also make rockers and patch panels for you or show you how but first things first getting that fire wall done....If it were me I'd just replace it ,its not that hard you'll need a welder and some practice if you dont know how but theres plenty of welders here and I have a link to gov surplus auctions in cali you can get a mig for under a hundred....but I'll have to PM that one to you its top secret...we cant have everyone bidding on this stuff...most of this equipment goes to the scrapper in working condition....compressors too ...do you have a welder? have you ever welded ??? this is the first step...
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

Wow that is awesome! Thank you! I dont have a welder and i have welded a lil bit. My brother is an awesome welder so ill have him help me! Send me a private message and we can chat more

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.