will a 351 fit in ranchero? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question will a 351 fit in ranchero?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and had a few questions about a project I'm thinking about doing. I really like the Ford Ranchero's, (only pre 1965), but the ones with the v8's are too expensive for me since I'm only 17. What I want to do is buy a pre 65' Ranchero, drop the 6cyl, and put a 351 in it. My dad has had a lot of experience with cars and used to be a mechanic, and said that this swap will fit, but it wouldn't be worth it because there'd be no room to work on it. Is it true that it would be a really tight fit and that it would just turn out to be a pain in the ***? Also, I was wondering about the headers for that swap. Would I have to get custom headers made? or is there a company that makes a pair that would fit for that? One last thing, would it just be easier to put a 302 in it? Thanks in advance for any help.
-Aaron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up Well, I'll Tell 'Ya...

Yes, the 351W will fit into it...tight but it will go. Dad is right about maintenance, just changing plugs will be a chore.

-Crites Restorations- makes a kit that will notch the spring towers to give you more room and headers are available.

Now a stroked 302 (347) will fit like a glove and will give you a wider choice of intake systems. Just a thought.

Oh...If you decide to use a six cylinder base model, don't forget you will have to upgrade the front suspension and rear axle.

[color=red]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968[/color]

[color=blue]Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/color]

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-30-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:10 AM

thanks for that. ya i was thinking about a stroked 302, but i heard that the 347 burns a lot more oil or something like that, than the 331. ya, i have noticed that there seems to be more intake options for the 302, epsically since i want everything all chromed up and shiny! how much more room are we talkin about with the 302 tho? will changin spark plugs still be a pain? or will matinence be a little easier because of clearence? i was also thinkin about swapping in a ford 9" posi rear end. i've heard they are very durable rear's, and will hold a good amount of h.p. what tranny should i use? i'm guessin the stock 3-speed won't hold up to a beefed up 331, and i want to stick with a manual, preferably something with an o.d. i'm hopin for about 400-450 rwhp, thats my goal. thanks for the help.,
-Aaron
Old 01-31-2004, 01:16 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

Servicing a 302 will be easier as the 289 came stock in the chassis. The 351W is approx. 3" taller and 2 1/4" wider. If you could find a cheap base early 351W or a later F4TE roller block, you would have a better start than stroking a 302. I just suggested that as an option.

As for transmission choice, a F/4/S would be ideal but you want an O/D. You will have to look for a later stronger T-5.

And you will have to find a FORD 9" rear asm to go into it. Don't forget the front suspension. You will need to find V8 spindles and of course upgrade the springs, front and rear.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[color=red]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/color]
Old 01-31-2004, 10:11 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

what about putting a paxton supercharger on the 289? Should get you some ponies that way?

Or maybe dropping a turbo V6 in???

Regards
Mark
Old 01-31-2004, 10:39 AM

ya i wanna try and keep it a n/a motor, but if i have 2, i'll get a supercharger. i had a supercharged car for my first car, and i dont think my dad liked it too much, so i dunno how happy he'd me about putting a supercharger on a v8. i dunno though, i'm still in the planning stage.
-Aaron

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.