Hot Rod Forum banner

Will this 355 run on 91?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  charliemiller4 
#1 ·
here is what I have, am I going to be pushing it on 91 octane?
1980 350 block .30 over
461 double hump 64cc domes
2.02 1.6 valves
flat top hyperutectic pistons
performer eps intake
600 edebrock carb
1.5 roller rockers
stock hei ignition

#2 ·
i got a 85 chevy truck witha 355 built up 480 lift cam vortec heads not sure the size. 650 holley carb. after market intake abut 425 horse. i liv in florida we got 93 octane and i cant run nothing but that or it goes to spitting and sputtering when i shut it off. but i would try all of them out and see if it does that on low octane. you can polly get away wth 89

#3 ·
You`ll have to play with the spark timing to see what it likes. Too much and it`ll ping. As for your combo where you threw me off at was you said
461 camel back 64cc domes. There is no dome on a cylinder head. Domes are what is referred to on piston tops. In the piston world you have dish top, flat top and dome top style. As for your combo I`ve built many that had flat top pistons and camel back heads and by careful set of the timing they worked out okay.

#4 ·
I'm estimating your static c.r. at about 9.7:1 with the limited information you provided, assuming .041 gasket, piston .025 in the hole, .030 over and 6 cc valve reliefs in flat top pistons, along with 64cc heads.

You can probably run that with 91 octane, watching your tune like DV says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.