Will a 390 fit or work in a 73 Mustang..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 01:18 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Will a 390 fit or work in a 73 Mustang.....

Currently I am working on the body of my 73 Ford Mustang, but this spring I am thinking about changing motors in this car. I was wondering if I could pull the 390 out of my 67 F250 and put it in my Mustang. The motor has only 35,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt and was originally out of a 66 Thunderbird. The 73 Mustang currently has a 302 in it that needs a new camshaft. My strategy for this swap was to use 69-70 390-428 Mustang motor mounts, radiator hoses from a 71 390 powered LTD and a C6 tranny out of a 71 LTD. The 73 Mustang has a 8" rearend but I have a 9" out of a 72 Mach 1 that I would use with this combo. I was also thinking about trying to use headers on the 73 Mustang. I was wondering if 69-70 390-428 Mustang headers would fit or even work. Has anybody else on this board ever put a FE big block in a 71-73 Mustang??? Any help or input on this I would appreciate.

BTW I have too many projects and I need to get this one done for sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 04:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

390 into a 71 stang

The only problem I see is using the 71 LTD radiator. It may not fit. Measure real good first.
As for headers, I dont think there will be any prolbems as the 64 1/2 -73 mustangs were all essentially built on the same floor pan.
The 302 mounts wont work on the 390, so you will have to get a set for an FE block. You may have to have your driveshaft shortened some, due to the different transmissions. Be sure to save the front yoke off your current setup with the FE, to have it put on your new shaft. Another thing you will want to do is put some beefier springs in the front end as the 390 weighs almost 200 lbs more than the 302 (625 for the 390 vs 460 for the 302).
For springs etc, try contacting Classic Mustang, 1-800-527-1588. They should also be able to give you the scoop on what to do when doing the swap.
http://classicmustang.com/index.htm, heres the web site addy as well.
For the headers, I would recommend going to Hedman, Hooker or one of the other major manufacturers.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

hmmm might be painful. Fix the 302 it would probably go faster and be way cheaper. Not good to stick square peg in round hole. Those FE motors never came in a 71 2 3 Mustang probably for a good reason.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is a old real old thread......since I posted this I have bought a 1977 Lincoln Mark IV or V for $350 that has a 460 and a C6 trans. I have bought the motor mounts a 9" rearend out of a 72 Mustang and a few other parts. I decided to keep the 390 in the 67 F250 and put the 460 in the Mustang. The problem I have is finding the time to do this because I work full time and go to college full time. The plan is to have the 460 in the Mustang by April, finish the bodywork paint it and put it in the Abby car show in May. Hopefully I will get this all done.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Good choice! I happen to have a 466 SCJ in a 71. The only thing better, would be a stroked motor or the 514 with the Kasse heads. Very cheap, nasty power. Have a good day!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.