will a 4-link handle curves? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

will a 4-link handle curves?

I'm building this 66c10 and have a 12 truck rear. I'm thinking about installing a pro-street style 4-link. Will a 4-link work for handling curves? What I'm searching for is a balance between road race handling and good hookup for acceleration. ( and no I don't want a Ferrari - lol )
I thought about a corvette rear but my boss (former drag racer) says that the rears don't hold up.
Anyone out there have any experience with this? (suspension types?)
Any thoughts on the handling issue and will a 4-link and a truck 12-bolt work ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
More for Less Racer

I don't know why you want to switch rear suspensions , your truck already has one of the better designs out there. The suspension you have is the exact suspension Nascar still uses today, called the "truck-arm suspension". lots of aftermarket handling parts are available.

There is even a company called Hot Rods To Hell selling retro fit conversion kits to put this suspension in Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, Impalas, street rods, or any custom chassis.

Why try to redesign the wheel??
Old 04-11-2011, 10:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree with ericnova72. No reason to reinvent the wheel here. Also, my '66 427, 4 speed Vette never had an issue with the rear end, and I guarantee you it took some hard abuse. My '81 Vette never had an issue either and it was anything but stock. Tell your boss he's wrong.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Anonymous
Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 AM

4-link vrs. truck link

Well (please correct me if I'm wrong) but
what I was thinking is that the 4-link has much more adjustment than the truck link and with Nascar (they only go around in one direction,( no offense ), how does this suspension do after some performance upgrades for handling and traction around back road curves in both directions ?. So far from what I have read is that the instant center can be adjusted with a 4-link so that you can control traction pulling out of curves and during acceleration.
I am just learning so I am open to suggestions (though I really like the 4-link setup and know someone that can help me with tuning it.)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

NASCAR use of the truck arm dates back to the 70's, it is far from the ideal set up. Look at any true road race car, they wouldn't touch a truck arm suspension and they have to get through the turns and be able to accelerate off of the corner.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM

4-link question

Reference to the NASCAR using the truck link and road racers using a different suspension, would the 4-link work, or is there a better set-up?
I'm not crazy about ladder bar set due to only one link forward the rear and the triangulated isn't as adjustable as the pro-street 4-link Thought by using the p-street 4-link could I be sacrificing handling flexibility .
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I think an adjustable four link is best for your idea because you can have the best set up you need regardless of the conditions. You'll just need to know how to tune the rear suspension.

Remember the rear tires are only half of what makes a car handle corners. The front end is just as important.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM

sounds like a plan.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I'd search out a good book on the subject. The circle track and R/R guys have a much different set up than drag race guys .

I have a very narrow pro street rear end with a true 4 link and massive anti roll bar. It hooks very hard for acceleration tests but it sure is not a sports car. I can take the freeway ramps at an uncomfortable speed for most but not like a 'Vette. I simple don't have the adjustment points that the R/R guys have. It rides pretty well for a very light car but I have ridden in rods that ride nicer. As a rule they don't dig like mine does however. It's all a compromise....set it up how you like it as long as it is safe ont he road.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM

I'm finding balance / compromise seams to be the key in rods now its just a matter of finding that right level on my build.
I imagine that the Corvette style IRS wouldn't have the same weight transfer as the four link (anti-squat or Hook) though will handle curves better. Any book suggestions other than Chassis Engineering, my copy seams a little out of date.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Check out Competion Car Suspension by Allan Staniforth. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics by Thomas Gillespie, or Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by VanValkenburg. All have much good info.

You are correct, an IRS won't transfer torque like a live rear axle will, but they can be made to hook up quite well.

If you are going to all the work of a new suspension, research a three link setup. Best of both worlds...

Andy
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Take a look at a later model of the Corvette IRS and you will see it is a 4 link with bells and whistles. With the third member solidly mounted, there can be no axle wrap and with the big channel locking the 3rd member to the tranny, there has to be some weight transfer. Got one in the shop waiting to go in and it is not a rear suspension to be ignored for what your expectations seem to be.

Trees
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM

Last photo:

c-10

You could use the gm mounting positions and install urehane or harder bushings . Improve the panhard bar. Box the control arms or build new ones . The mounting points on the frame could be modified to move up and down from their origional position with bolts instead of welds and if you allow the pinion angle to be adjustable at the diff. by fabbing up a clamp on mount instead of the welded factory deal you will have all sorts of adjustment. It will take some work but it will be fun
Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 AM

An older Vette IRS ('63-'82) will really transfer torque to the rear wheels. Really. But the road racers don't like the wheel travel on the bumps, etc. I've never been around '84 and newer Vette rear ends, though.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.