Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - will 91-96 caprice suspension parts and rearends fit in my 85 caprice?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM

Last journal entry: My 1979 Caprice Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmeat69 View Post
when you say "On wagons, they definitely had stiffer rear springs AND a taller free height. " what do you mean? I installed wagon springs on 5 caprices and when the speings were out of the car sedan springs setting next to wagon springs, the sedans spring were much taller and the wagon springs weighted one pound more than the sedan springs.. thanks
Thicker wire in the spring (stiffer), which goes to rate. Wagon springs.are about 175#/in. The stiffest sedan spring offered was 150#/in, some as low as 125.
The sedans had a few different ride heights. 94-96 impalas were the lowest, regular sedans were trimmed have higher, and the ride height on the cop cars was the highest. Cop car and impala spring rates were both the same but the cop car free lengths were.longer so the car sat higher.

So to be more clear, wagon springs are definitely stiffer, but depending on what rear spring you compare them to, they may be shorter or longer. I have the factory spring chart somewhere, I'll have to see what the wagon free heights are.