Will a bad lifter cause oil smoke on deceleration ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Will a bad lifter cause oil smoke on deceleration ?

some of you guys might remember my previous thread on my engine smoking on deceleration

any who, I've discovered a bad lifter, it barely goes up and down compared to the other 7 ones next to it

could this somehow be related to the smoke screens my engine makes on deceleration ?

it's oil by the way, coolant is clean, oil is clean, tail pipe on that one side is oily

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The lifter isn't bad the cam is. The cam operates the lifter and if the lifter is barely moving up and down that means the camshaft has a wiped lobe.
You can change the lifter, but it's not going to do any good as within a week it'll wipe out the lifter again. You'll need to replace the cam and while your in there add a new timing chain. You'll also need to do a flush to the oil system in hopes to flush all the metal particles out. If the engine still has good oil pressure then you're okay, if it has low oil pressure indicates the metal has wiped out the bearings and before long it'll be rebuild time
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision View Post
The lifter isn't bad the cam is. The cam operates the lifter and if the lifter is barely moving up and down that means the camshaft has a wiped lobe.
You can change the lifter, but it's not going to do any good as within a week it'll wipe out the lifter again. You'll need to replace the cam and while your in there add a new timing chain. You'll also need to do a flush to the oil system in hopes to flush all the metal particles out. If the engine still has good oil pressure then you're okay, if it has low oil pressure indicates the metal has wiped out the bearings and before long it'll be rebuild time
i've been looking for an excuse to replace the cam with something with some more duration ever since i put on ported 305 heads with bigger valves

i just don't want to get my hopes up thinking this smoke on deceleration will go away after i install a new cam and lifters with a new timing chain

can a bad lobe be the cause of the smoke ?

if not i'll just wait a few months while i gather enough $ to bore it out .30, install new pistons and rings
Old 07-26-2012, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't say emphatically that changing the cam won't help with your smoking problem, but I will say probably not. Smoking on deceleration is also a symptom of badly worn intake valve guides and/or leaky valve seals. On deceleration, when you close the throttle the vacuum goes very high, the high vacuum pulls oil thru the valve guide and into the combustion chamber, causing your puff of smoke.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd36 View Post
I wouldn't say emphatically that changing the cam won't help with your smoking problem, but I will say probably not. Smoking on deceleration is a symptom of badly worn intake valve guides and/or leaky valve seals. On deceleration, when you close the throttle the vacuum goes very high, the high vacuum pulls oil thru the valve guide and into the combustion chamber, causing your puff of smoke.
it's got new heads with new seals and guides

did the same thing with my old pair too, it's only out of 1 tail pipe, so that 1 side of the engine

i just replaced my intake gaskets, pcv valve, cleaned my breather, and even eliminated the pcv system altogether just to see the results, no dice.

if it's plausible that bad lobe causes my engine to smoke, maybe the valve is closing all the way causing oil to get into the chamber ?

if not i'll just have to archive my truck for a few months while i gather the money to re-ring and do a complete overhaul even though it is a recent rebuilt

the engine has good power and compression btw
Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzero117 View Post
it's got new heads with new seals and guides

did the same thing with my old pair too, it's only out of 1 tail pipe, so that 1 side of the engine

i just replaced my intake gaskets, pcv valve, cleaned my breather, and even eliminated the pcv system altogether just to see the results, no dice.

if it's plausible that bad lobe causes my engine to smoke, maybe the valve is closing all the way causing oil to get into the chamber ?

if not i'll just have to archive my truck for a few months while i gather the money to re-ring and do a complete overhaul even though it is a recent rebuilt

the engine has good power and compression btw
Well, that should pretty well blow the loose valve guide theory to smithereens!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

so guys can a bad cam lobe/lifter cause my engine to smoke on deceleration ?

incase anyone was wondering pre 1986 sbc 350
Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

It could, when a lobe and lifter go bad you usually see oil and fuel fouling on the spark plug indicating the cylinder is just riding around. To a large extent ring seal and oil wiping is dependent upon compression and combustion pressures, since they are not there on the cylinder with the damaged lobe/lifter the rings skate on the bore wall as the piston descends leaving a lot of oil on the cylinder wall this action will leave oil on the cylinder wall and around the ring package to be pumped into the combustion space and out the exhaust with the next up stroke of the piston. You could also be looking at a bad guide and or seal that is allowing oil down the guide. Don't forget that the metal from the failed lobe and lifter also circulated with the oil if small particles or larger pieces were trapped with the windage doing damage to pistons, cylinder walls and rings till they fall out into the oil hopefully to ne filtered out.

So there are many possibilities related to the problems of failed camshafts and lifters that could result in unusual oil consumption and smoking. You're going to have to replace the cam and lifters which will give you some opportunity for internal inspection.

Dont forget that deceleration puts a lot of vacuum loading on the intake side of the engine. If the guides and or seals are worn or damaged you will see smoke from the exhaust as well as from the possibilities of these other problems.

Bogie
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Quote:

A bad cam lobe will cause complete melt down, dont worry about the smoke it's bound to happen

A guarantee on that if you keep driving it.

1 way to check, pull the intake,,,what valve is not moving intake or exh?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
A bad cam lobe will cause complete melt down, dont worry about the smoke it's bound to happen

A guarantee on that if you keep driving it.

1 way to check, pull the intake,,,what valve is not moving intake or exh?
idk if the lobe is bad because the engine feels great, no backfiring or anything, but the lifter really isn't moving as good as the others

it's the first one on the passenger side head, nearest the radiator

i believe it's the exhaust, correct ?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
idk if the lobe is bad because the engine feels great, no backfiring or anything, but the lifter really isn't moving as good as the others

it's the first one on the passenger side head, nearest the radiator

i believe it's the exhaust, correct ?
With the valve layout on an SBC, the valves on all 4 corners are exhaust valves.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd36 View Post
With the valve layout on an SBC, the valves on all 4 corners are exhaust valves.
so can a bad exhaust lifter cause smoke on deceleration ?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.