Hot Rod Forum banner

Will this clear drop base air cleaner...?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  The Z'eer 
#1 ·
Two questions here:

Sorry for my ignorance, I know next to nothing about carburetors. What is this piece to the side of the carburetor?

Secondly, is a drop base air cleaner designed to clear this part? To me it looks like it extends to a fair distance and possibly will fowl a drop base?

See less See more
#2 ·
That is the Vacuum Secondary actuation pod, the diaphragm and rod out the bottom are what pulls the secondary throttle blades open. Just forward of that is the mechanical choke linkage, at this time being help open with a short length of wire.

The drop base clears that.
Take a string from carb air cleaner stud to the outer edge corner of a float bowl....swing that end of the string in a circle about the air cleaner stud and everything inside that arc will be cleared by the drop base.

#5 ·
I can tell you for a fact that if its a one inch drop base it will clear but with the manual choke lever once its pulled then it won't as the lever will hit the angle portion on the drop base. I use a manual choke on my build and I was running a 3 inch air filter and an electric choke. I had some issues with my choke being a pain cause I don't drive everyday and I am in Ohio so during the cold months I need a choke and the thing is with the electric once its open past the one point then it would take awhile to cool and close the choke back up.

If I don't give my carb enough shots of fuel and the choke already being heating and working will leave me without a choke till it cools back down. I had it just slightly too rich and if not enough or too much I end up with a hectic moment. So I took my electric choke off and went to the manual choke and its been nice so I can control it myself but then I found out when I went to pull my choke it hung up on me and unfortunately it hits the part at angle spot. How much it hits I have not checked yet as I sold that carb and got me a new one on the way but right before I had to get a 14x2 air filter for the time being and once I get my new carb I will be able to see it at different angles with the carb being off to see if I can do something to give it clearance.

Sorry about the book here but hope you get it worked out.

#7 ·
My choke is fixed in the open position at present, I don't intend on having the necessary cable, linkages etc. for it's operation anytime soon. Thanks for the info though and sorry to hear of the frustration it caused you. It'd be interesting to see if the issue you're having is remedied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.