will epoxy primer orange peel be visible after paint? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 PM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have an old epoxy puck that is like a "superball"
(remember those?)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark View Post
I have an old epoxy puck that is like a "superball"
(remember those?)
Sure do! LOL
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
Best test there is!

I have some 2-4 inch hockey pucks but they need to set for a few weeks in the cup and then carefully pop out as you will see solvents still all over the bottom of cup, then let set another three months to finish curing, you can do same with clear or epoxy, then grab your favorite sledge hammer.
It is a great test BUT!!!!! I have never found an ASTM test number to specify this test??? LOL
...hrmm, and I develop commercial diagnostic tests for a living....I think we're on to something here!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
...hrmm, and I develop commercial diagnostic tests for a living....I think we're on to something here!
NY testing manual is 909 pages (14th edition)

Maybe page 910 could be "ATSM-LIZER"- test.

I say you write it up! LOL
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Nice to see all the SPI guys in one place. Yesterday on another board I suggested solvent wiping primer that could not be sanded. A Mr. porch dog whose car is on the SBI catalog cover, of course, said that I was wrong. Well I grabbed the test panel with two coats of SPI epoxy primer and rubbed it 20 times with thinner. These panels were coated two weeks ago. It rubbed down to the bare metal.

Paint sticks better when the primer isn't completely solvent proof like some urethanes. Nice observation Dead body man, strikes me as funny every time the question of paint comes up no other independent brands are mentioned but SPI.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Ok, how this strikes me as very odd, you want the substrate insoluble, that goes against everything I have understood about these products. If you can wipe it off, then it isn't a true "2K"! Now, this is coming from a guy who just called over to SPI a few days ago and is planning my order to do my truck in it. But now this shakes me a little.

Brian
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

LMFAO!

That don't even look like epoxy.
But here nor there.

First even though the epoxy is not cured in 24 hours, lacquer thinner, Urethane reducer will not touch, nor will MEK or acetone.
After 7 days we soak in DOT brake fluid and check panel every two week.

Paint stripper will soften and Hydrochloric 30% will attack.

Like I said about you before, you are not a painter and don't have a clue about products.
Since we sell 3000-3200 gallons a month of epoxys, a lot of the people on here have wiped it and reported back on the tech line.
So you are just making an *** of yourself.

Also you state you are a big time restorer BUT the companies you recommend are nothing but marketers the have stuff private labeled, you mentioned a few of these and NO restorer would ever use those products on a car unless they are doing hack work or used car work.

Carry on!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Martin, Let me just say I have a world of respect for people like yourself that do body and paint and restoration work everyday.I'm getting older now and do less bodywork and I did before. I don't know all the brand-new products for paint and collision business I always looked for primers and coatings that would last for decades because the cars that I tried to preserve I wanted the longest possible service life. For instance, my 55 is with the same primer that last 20 years, on bridges. My chassis are painted with NYC anti-graffiti paint. I've always been fascinated with paints and coatings,Again all my respect to you guys that do this everyday.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Oh Barry , your such a charmer. Can't wait for the salt spray tests
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

ok cowboy , you want a pissing match i'll give you one. i've got more time on the paint shop ****ter than you have behind a gun . i said i had tested spi quite a bit before using it. with 42 years of experience i dont take anyone's word on it.
ask barry , i grilled him pretty good before ever trying his product . i also tested it after i bought it from him. but you want to drag Mr Porchdog into this fine. bring it. your pushing cheap bridge paint moisture cured urethane primer. silver and black imagine that just like they use up north . i would not let it anywhere near one of my cars . your going to have the same luck on the tri5 site as there are many users of spi there . we use it , we like it , it does exactly what it claims it will do . deal with it . and i call bull**** on your test .
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (06-08-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
Martin, Let me just say I have a world of respect for people like yourself that do body and paint and restoration work everyday.I'm getting older now and do less bodywork and I did before. I don't know all the brand-new products for paint and collision business I always looked for primers and coatings that would last for decades because the cars that I tried to preserve I wanted the longest possible service life. For instance, my 55 is with the same primer that last 20 years, on bridges. My chassis are painted with NYC anti-graffiti paint. I've always been fascinated with paints and coatings,Again all my respect to you guys that do this everyday.
You just confirmed everything I said about you don't have a clue.
We have a salt spray cabinet if you need it.

Life has kinda passed you by!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
LMFAO!

That don't even look like epoxy.
But here nor there.

First even though the epoxy is not cured in 24 hours, lacquer thinner, Urethane reducer will not touch, nor will MEK or acetone.
After 7 days we soak in DOT brake fluid and check panel every two week.

Paint stripper will soften and Hydrochloric 30% will attack.

Like I said about you before, you are not a painter and don't have a clue about products.
Since we sell 3000-3200 gallons a month of epoxys, a lot of the people on here have wiped it and reported back on the tech line.
So you are just making an *** of yourself.

Also you state you are a big time restorer BUT the companies you recommend are nothing but marketers the have stuff private labeled, you mentioned a few of these and NO restorer would ever use those products on a car unless they are doing hack work or used car work.

Carry on!
Thank you for clarifying that Barry, geez, that left me kinda stunned there, I'll be ordering some soon.

Brian
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Well Shine. It's great to hear from you. Just so happens I'm working on a 55 right now that's why I'm on the board. If you notice when I give advice its standard industry procedure not to hype up the master coat brand or have people hype it up for me. I promote brands that I like like Ospho RustMort and others even though we have a great rust remover and prep, As far as the test goes I bought the qt from SBI followed their directions . 15 days later I wiped it off with lacquer thinner.There are thousands of cars out there with our products on it. And with over 20 years doing shows never any problems to speak of.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
Oh Barry , your such a charmer. Can't wait for the salt spray tests
1500 hrs+ was the last figure I knew. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Barry not your paint? the invoice number is 17393 for 67.50 and i have my own booth thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.