will epoxy primer orange peel be visible after paint? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
Well Shine. It's great to hear from you. Just so happens I'm working on a 55 right now that's why I'm on the board. If you notice when I give advice its standard industry procedure not to hype up the master coat brand or have people hype it up for me. I promote brands that I like like Ospho RustMort and others even though we have a great rust remover and prep, As far as the test goes I bought the qt from SBI followed their directions . 15 days later I wiped it off with lacquer thinner.There are thousands of cars out there with our products on it. And with over 20 years doing shows never any problems to speak of.

Who is SBI? I know my SPI has worked great and is the only primers I use. Never had an issue with them. Maybe you bought the wrong brand and don't know any better.If SPI didn't work as advertised I would be the first to say something, but the fact is it's a great product. I have used it on several of my own projects (including SPI clear). Nothing, but good things to say about it and I tell everyone that will listen to give it a shot. I have never heard anyone that tried it have a complaint.

Your laquer thinner test is BS, I have wiped SPI Epoxy with laquer thinner and it never harmed it. You did mix part A and B before spraying, right?

What point are you trying to prove anyway? I'm a little confused why you would come on a forum and bash a product. Let's assume you actually had an issue with it, why wouldn't you go to SPI (Barry) with the issue? Anyone that has used SPI knows that Barry is only a phone call away.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
If others say it is insoluble, then maybe you should look at your test? The old scientists motto "When an experiment yields unexpected results, challenge the experiment".

I know I thought the an experiment I had done on weld thru primer showed how poor it adhered and then Barry told me to re-test it after a week or so, sure enough it was TOTALLY different after that week.

If others are saying it is insoluble, then I would look at the conditions of the test somehow, temp, was it fully cured? I don't know but this is odd.

Brian
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
Who is SBI? I know my SPI has worked great and is the only primers I use. Never had an issue with them. Maybe you bought the wrong brand and don't know any better.If SPI didn't work as advertised I would be the first to say something, but the fact is it's a great product. I have used it on several of my own projects (including SPI clear). Nothing, but good things to say about it and I tell everyone that will listen to give it a shot. I have never heard anyone that tried it have a complaint.

Your laquer thinner test is BS, I have wiped SPI Epoxy with laquer thinner and it never harmed it. You did mix part A and B before spraying, right?

What point are you trying to prove anyway? I'm a little confused why you would come on a forum and bash a product. Let's assume you actually had an issue with it, why wouldn't you go to SPI (Barry) with the issue? Anyone that has used SPI knows that Barry is only a phone call away.
I can understand being upset about a products results and screaming it from the roof tops. But this whole thing just sounds odd.

Go do a test if you have the SPI epoxy primer in your shop and report the results, that should solve this.

Brian
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Any chance of getting a refund?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

The point is, why paint stuck better to the epoxy and I showed you, and yes I mixed the a part thoroughly and thoroughly mixed again with the hardener Do your own tests, I did not bash sbi although Barry loves to bash everybody else's brands as in his latest rant
Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

I will test on a panel I have had sprayed for quite some time tonight. What if your results are not reproducible?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

By all means do your own tests. I'm just saying what I found .Epoxy with high fill have less solvent resistance than some others. Maybe I'll do it again, Good Luck
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Just did it again with another panel used crossfire med reducer. it softened again which isn't a bad thing this just means that other paints and primers will stick good Time to take a nap
Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

How long did you let it activate for?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

30 to 40 minutes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Metal and ambient temp when sprayed?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

it was done in my shop was about 70 the panels are about room temperature. I brushed to coats two hours apart. my point again was sometimes you can wipe hard primer that cant be sanded to soften its so another paint would stick better. I wasn't planning on an a FBI investigation
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

You let it cure for how long? If you just did this test today, there is no way the epoxy was fully cured and locked down.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

I painted it on the 20 th of may with some other panels I do have a little experience in paints As a matter of fact i just testified in a court case aganist a national paint co as a expert witness. Martin nice video hope your enjoying all this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.