will epoxy primer orange peel be visible after paint? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I tried this on the back of my rear valance panel that has a single coat of epoxy, has had it on there for about 2-3 years now. Gave it 20 wipes initially with a lacquer thinner saturated shop paper towel, but nothing happened, so continued to wipe. I wasn't able to get any to come off on the rag.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Glad to see your tests went well. My panels or 10 days old, yours is 2 to 3 years, that affects the equation, Another factor over a period of time is formulation changes and last but not least, raw material changes from your suppliers and sometimes they don't even bothered to tell you. I looked over your past posts and I can see your big SPI fan Thank you for your input
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Ok, how this strikes me as very odd, you want the substrate insoluble, that goes against everything I have understood about these products. If you can wipe it off, then it isn't a true "2K"! Now, this is coming from a guy who just called over to SPI a few days ago and is planning my order to do my truck in it. But now this shakes me a little.

Brian
Brian ,have no fear, go ahead and order your SPI, I give you mypersonal word of honor SPI epoxy is absolutely the BEST epoxy (or primer of any kind) you've ever used...I've turned on hard core ppg users to it and they all say the same thing its awsome...You will too..The reason nobody has anything bad to say about SPI is because there is nothing bad to say about it...anyone with an agenda can make a test fail, its easy...I garuntee SPI epoxy will NOT come off wih lacquer thinner you cant even scrape it off with a razor scraper the only thing you have to be careful of is spraying it below 60- 65 degrees or so I had a problem this past winter when I shot it at 50 degrees, something I knew about but did anyways and I had an adheasion problem ,When I called Barry to see what happens (I never told him what I did) when you spray it when its too cold he confirmed my suspitions ....I told him what I did and I was surprized when he came to my shop a week later to see the car for himself (my personal car) luckily he was already in the area doing a class for a company and he thought of little ole me and my user error problem and worked me into his busy schedule...
Not only THAT he replaced the epoxy even though I told him it wasnt necesary because it was my fault....That was the ONLY time I ever had ANY trouble with ANY of SPI's products and it was my own dang fault...
What IS hard to believe someone (especially a salesman) actually thinks they can bullsheet US pros...we know better ...as far as this other independant manufacture goes...sell that crap to the newbies who dont listen to US and for your info WE dont want cheaper products we want the BEST products at a lower price....I wont mention any names ,LOL,,, but you sir are full of brown mushy stuff and BTW, how come I know who you work for, master something or other ??its because you posted it ,something Barry has never done the only reason anyone knows who he is, is because we told everyone, not him...never once has he EVER said who he was and the name of his company....
Just so were clear what I'm saying is you sell a second rate product at a cheap price and pray on the less knowlagable newbies to make a buck ....
SPI has you beat in every way so give up now and save yourself and your company further embaressment.....You'll get no positive advertising here...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
John long (06-08-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
it was done in my shop was about 70 the panels are about room temperature. I brushed to coats two hours apart. my point again was sometimes you can wipe hard primer that cant be sanded to soften its so another paint would stick better. I wasn't planning on an a FBI investigation

Well, you should have realized we'd call you out...
when every single pro on this board that has tried something and loves it, your not only going against a company your going against ALL of us pro's and our honest opinion.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

Good morning ,Solvent wipe I did merely showed that the epoxy was not fully cured. Cure times vary due to temperature and humidity. Furthermore, I don't recall bashing the product. Basically it just showed that sometimes beyond the seven day window you'll get good adhesion by using a solvent wipe. I really could not care less about selling any products on this board. I used to love it when people would come up to my table at a show and knew more about my product and I did. This episode just shows that there's no room on this board for any discussion about other paints without being stepped on.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Good morning ,Solvent wipe I did merely showed that the epoxy was not fully cured. Cure times vary due to temperature and humidity. Furthermore, I don't recall bashing the product. Basically it just showed that sometimes beyond the seven day window you'll get good adhesion by using a solvent wipe. I really could not care less about selling any products on this board. I used to love it when people would come up to my table at a show and knew more about my product and I did. This episode just shows that there's no room on this board for any discussion about other paints without being stepped on.
ALSO NOT TRUE, As I said before we want the highest QUALITY not the cheapest price, since I've never used your product I cant say for sure if its any good or not but if your so sure and confident you have a high quality product send me some and I'll give it a fair shake,even now...I have nothing to gain so everyone will get my honest opinion of it....anyone that has been here a while knows I have no problem making an about face and admitting I was wrong......
and if SPI suddenly stopped performingas well I'd be all over THAT too...
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Well a few weeks ago I had thought about sending you some product. By the looks of that 47 Plymouth you could use a little help, then I thought that this would look like some kind of a bribe or try to gain some influence since your so prominent on this board. My cheap modified bridge primer is 120 gallon, to me this is not cheap.as for product testing. It's been tested for the last 40 years. This is why I chose it for rust preventative primer. All I did was tweak it up a bit. Anyway, even though your friends with Barry, I will send you some primer. Some AG 111 and some more prep. If you'd like you can call me or PM me.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well I didn't see it that way. To me it looked like you were trying to say SPI wasn't as advertised and I know first hand that it is a great product.

Now if you would have said, Hey I have this great primer and gave details on what you have instead of "bashing" a well know proven product, you wouldn't have gotten the response you did. Tell what your product is all about and leave it at that.

Personally SPI has treated me very well and the products have performed, so I have no reason to change. I am not a pro or production shop (but have been doing it for 25yrs). I do my personal stuff and maybe help a few friends.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Pat, you are new around here. If you had been here for a few years you would know that there is no one who likes to break down a product or procedure more than me. I want FACTS and cut through the BS. I have peed off a few people doing it, I want FACTS.

I have never used an SPI product, I have no friendship with Barry, I want FACTS.

When something fails as bad as you have demonstrated I just have to question the test. SOMETHING isn't the norm. I am not saying you did anything underhanded, and that you don't know what you are doing, you obviously know these products. And if the product performs poorly using their tech sheet to apply then I am all ears. But I have to wonder when I see something with such a blatant failure. This epoxy was brushed, brushing will usually apply a very heavy coat, FULL of solvents, applying two coats even with the dry time between may be all we are talking about here. Spraying it could very possibly produce a whole different result.

I don't know, I want someone else to break out their SPI products and do a test. I personally am ready to order a number of gallons for my truck and I am interested.

Brian
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

I never bashed the product ,never heard of the product untill:2009. Someone asked the question about my primer. never got the right name the bashing begain. I saw it under my website address and was taking back by the remarks of the owner that the paint company I never heard of.My products were cheap and inferior the only people doing butcher work and would never think about using my primer on anything but a used car being sold by a shiester.Dead body says I'm cheap, sleazy salesman in a polyester suit selling inferior product to Professionals like yourself and full brown mushy stuff. Now is that bashing?Must be chocolate because I'm so sweet, my cars, my products speak for themselves. If you want info. I'm sure you can find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pats55 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I never bashed the product ,never heard of the product untill:2009. Someone asked the question about my primer. never got the right name the bashing begain. I saw it under my website address and was taking back by the remarks of the owner that the paint company I never heard of.My products were cheap and inferior the only people doing butcher work and would never think about using my primer on anything but a used car being sold by a shiester.Dead body says I'm cheap, sleazy salesman in a polyester suit selling inferior product to Professionals like yourself and full brown mushy stuff. Now is that bashing?Must be chocolate because I'm so sweet, my cars, my products speak for themselves. If you want info. I'm sure you can find it.
I'm catching what you're throwing.

Brian
Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

you're very welcome. Maybe I'll go to New York City to become a hand model
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

Brian, I just read your post and I couldn't agree with you more. 23 years ago I was selling a product that had a little BS to it. So I decided to get the facts. It took a year research and consulting with raw material suppliers. it all kept. going back to one place ,that's when I started my sleazy little paint line. I wanted to know what was the most powerful primer in the world, and it boiled down to two one I used on a 40 LaSalle, I picked out of a catalog by accident only because I like the name Zincron. Paint job held up great for 20 years. This test means really nothing it only showed that the coating was not fully cured at around nine days. Film thickness, temperature, humidity , determine cure times Don't hesitate to order your paint. I'm sure it's a great product and you shouldn't have any problems.And thanks for keeping an open mind
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 AM

One of the great things about this site is I can state my opinion on anything I find exceptional,average or even poor quality...Anybody can....
I know for a fact you CANT wipe off SPI epoxy with lacquer thinner...Not even after 24 hrs ,so 7 days is ridiculus,No way....it wont even soften it...So.......
Once I even recomended using rust o liem cold galvinized compound in place of weld thru primer because it was so much cheaper and basicly the same thing. Brian was the one to call me out on it,and actually get a can and try it...Well, it did work....
I guess us dedicated SPI users do sound like a little cult to anyone that dosent know any better. But it really is head and shoulders above anything else out there at ANY price and when anyone trys it they come to the same conclusion. Being a pro clean metal and the best epoxy make the best foundation so its VERY important to us...others that already use something else should at least try it especally the Dp 40 guys....I know how hard it is to admit theres something better out there when you've been using a product for years and when you do and find it really is much better You just have to say something to the other guys....
Yes ,Barry and I are friends now but it didnt start out that way...When I came on this board a few years ago I was recomending this this new epoxy primer from SPI and how well it works with Ospho ....Thats where I met Barry the first time and we got into a pretty heated discussion (I didnt know who he was at the time nor did I care) with all his followers on his side chiming in....well I stuck to my guns and now they are trying and using the stuff..finding out I was right all along and without any problems ....Things change....I'm sure we'll get along just fine in the future and we can always disagree ....proving our points is what makes for an interesting debate....
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

I am with you Mike, I feel the same way. I haven't tested it, but I WILL be using it soon based on what I have read on the product over the years. I have a funny relationship with Barry as he and I have butt heads many, MANY times. He bought me lunch at NACE a few years ago and is a good man, he is passionate about the subject as I am and thus the head butting will continue no doubt. But when I see the people who support it, (some of them I still head butt with ) these are guys like yourself who I have respect for in this industry and if there is one thing I am, that is a supporter of the "little guy" and SPI may be a big successful company by our experiences in our little businesses but in the world of paint, it is like a lemonade stand on the corner compared to PPG, DuPont, S/W and the like. There is nothing I want to do more than to support a small business, I LOATH the giant corporations and boycott most. But I also look at it realistically, if they have the best product I have to go there. I will be using SPI on my truck and checking it out, I will be thrilled to be able to become one of the SPI cult and support this little company and hope that Barry makes too much money.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.