will epoxy primer orange peel be visible after paint? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am with you Mike, I feel the same way. I haven't tested it, but I WILL be using it soon based on what I have read on the product over the years. I have a funny relationship with Barry as he and I have butt heads many, MANY times. He bought me lunch at NACE a few years ago and is a good man, he is passionate about the subject as I am and thus the head butting will continue no doubt. But when I see the people who support it, (some of them I still head butt with ) these are guys like yourself who I have respect for in this industry and if there is one thing I am, that is a supporter of the "little guy" and SPI may be a big successful company by our experiences in our little businesses but in the world of paint, it is like a lemonade stand on the corner compared to PPG, DuPont, S/W and the like. There is nothing I want to do more than to support a small business, I LOATH the giant corporations and boycott most. But I also look at it realistically, if they have the best product I have to go there. I will be using SPI on my truck and checking it out, I will be thrilled to be able to become one of the SPI cult and support this little company and hope that Barry makes too much money.

Brian
I guess it all what you consider butting heads, i like you want to know and I have learned a few things from you over the years, the hood spring installation I consider the best for me personally but for the other people where you teaching me helped them, then I go to the sanding of Dupont base as well as S&W base, I use that all the time on the tech line warning people and 50% of the time if it fits in, I give you credit.
I know you were right but I still can't believe a company would not fix that problem, as it is so easy to fix but here nor there, you helped a lot of people with that thread and Badbobs testing for proof.

And for Mike, we use to take the major approach and just pretend Ospho did not exist but you did a good job promoting it and of course we then went to the approach that use it but we will tell you how to neutralize it, so we don't have problems and I think that has helped a lot of do-it-your self types and yes, if a guy does not have access to a sand blaster, we do promote it.

Its not about butting heads, it about getting the right info out to the people that want to learn, so they don't spend the family budget and then have to redo the car because of bad advice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
John long (06-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
I guess it all what you consider butting heads, i like you want to know and I have learned a few things from you over the years, the hood spring installation I consider the best for me personally but for the other people where you teaching me helped them, then I go to the sanding of Dupont base as well as S&W base, I use that all the time on the tech line warning people and 50% of the time if it fits in, I give you credit.
I know you were right but I still can't believe a company would not fix that problem, as it is so easy to fix but here nor there, you helped a lot of people with that thread and Badbobs testing for proof.

And for Mike, we use to take the major approach and just pretend Ospho did not exist but you did a good job promoting it and of course we then went to the approach that use it but we will tell you how to neutralize it, so we don't have problems and I think that has helped a lot of do-it-your self types and yes, if a guy does not have access to a sand blaster, we do promote it.

Its not about butting heads, it about getting the right info out to the people that want to learn, so they don't spend the family budget and then have to redo the car because of bad advice.
This is without a doubt most important! I don't want to be "right" I want to make sure people get the correct information, including ME! Thus the discussion, if people have different ideas on how to do something that all get the job done, that is merely different ways to do the same thing. But if someone has an idea that can be very difficult and get people into trouble trying it this needs to be made clear to the newbe. Sure it's "possible" but you need to be very careful before you jump into the ring. Doing frame clips comes to mind. But yes Barry, we all want the best info we can get and that is the point of the discussion.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (06-06-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
... I brushed to coats two hours apart. ...
You applied it with a brush?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 AM

Last photo:

I used a sponge brush applied 2 thin coats approx 6 mil film thickness, After being called a liar I really would prefer you do you own experiments
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Those of us who have done business with Pat at Carlisle and Hershey know that he may tell a story or two, but he does not lie. One particular time at Hershey we stopped by his booth (he's usually abusing a customer...LOL) and that night we went back to our room, saw him on TV in a documentary about the sinking of the Andrea Doria. Pat was a survivor of that catastrophe. He is very knowledgeable about anti-corrosion and has given me allot of sound advice. So, as far as I known, Pat is a straight-shooter and he treats his customers very well. If there is ever a problem, Pat always takes care of it.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantaz View Post
You applied it with a brush?
yes it can be applied with a brush
Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post

And for Mike, we use to take the major approach and just pretend Ospho did not exist but you did a good job promoting it and of course we then went to the approach that use it but we will tell you how to neutralize it, so we don't have problems and I think that has helped a lot of do-it-your self types and yes, if a guy does not have access to a sand blaster, we do promote it..
LOL, I'm still waiting for instructions on how to neautralize it..
.Even WITH media blasting, ospho can work hand and hand by keepng surface rust at bay...
We can learn from everyone by taking a little of what one guy knows and adding it to what we know and everyone evolves...
I will say this though ..using ospho as a example....When everyone gangs up on you for using something you believe in and have used successfully for years ,it made me doubt myself so I went over my whole proceedure with a fine tooth comb,even doing tests that I never thought of and that made me even more convinced I was using the right product and the right proceedure not just getting lucky..
.Our butting of heads has made me an even better tradesman and even more convinced that I'm doing the best work I possibly can with whats available today..
if it had gone the other way I'd have stopped using it completely...

We often forget that the majority of the people reading these threads are not pros at body and paint and can make a major mistake in a split second without even realizing it. So one of the best things to come out of our own butting of heads was that EVERYONE knows how using acid PROPERLY is critical to success and that using it wrong IS the #1 cause of paint failure....So butting heads is a GOOD thing if its done right ,everyone learns something new, even the head butters...I know I learned a LOT.
That old thread took a lot of bad turns but I still think it was a classic I should have saved it...Rust no more or something like that...cant remember...It would be funny to go back and read it sometime...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
yes it can be applied with a brush
Absolutely,sometimes using a brush is the best way to get it on something...
I had a motor gaurd toilet paper filter that was corroding and getting debre in my paint so I wire wheeled it clean and brushed two coats of epoxy inside .it works like a charm now and should hold up for years more...
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
Ok. here is my 2 cents worth. Maybe Barry will jump in and confirm or correct me. When PPG first introduced DP40 in 1978 or whenever they recommended reducing it for a sealer with 1/3 urethane reducer or LACQUER THINNER. For lacquer thinner to soften epoxy is not an indication that it is a poor product. It is only an indication that the epoxy has not completely cured. As Lizer's test indicated, it will become lacquer insoluble with time. I would rant longer but don't have time. I have to order my next can of SPI epoxy.

John.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Well... I can say this much about Mr.Barry and his Product... I'm By far a pro painter,,, But can do it very well... I been using the SPI primer for some time now,,, Only had problem's one time and was for sure the problem was on my end not SPI's end,, Talked with Mr.Barry about it a while on the phone and was told to do thing's a little different on my end.... A day later a new batch was at my door step.... Now !!!! I thought He made a mistake on his end and didn't charge me,, So I jumped on the phone and asked about the charge.. He said I sent that to you to try to see if it was better.....

Now to me.. That is someone that goes way pass the call of duty....The product is Hands down the best I ever used,,, And now the people I let try it is also hooked on it... I will say this the ones that haven't used it,, Don't really know what they are missing.... Until I find a better product and Better people to go with it,, I really don't think something could be any better then SPI... Brian.... Don't even think twice on odering SPI... You WON'T BE SORRY..
Old 06-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

05-24-06 09:28 AM - Post#922427
In response to kenc

Quote:

The owner of SPI roams both boards and a lot of his friends shill the paint mercilessly on both those boards. In fact one of the moderators on AB101 is a personal friend of the owner and shills SPI almost regardless of the thread he's responding to!
It may well be excellent paint, but the shilling alone puts me off it.
Try Valspar, or PPG Omni, or Nason. There's lot's of choice and most lines are good.

My samples:

EXACTLY what, KenC stated!!! There are a LOT OF SPI SHILLS aka SPI TROLLS selling the SPI Products on the VARIOUS FORUMS.

There are several other paints that do not get the COMMERCIAL PLAY TIME on the forums at HotRodder and AB101. Just my opinion.

Look at Valspar, Matrix, Transtar, UPOL, RubberSeal, Kirker, and other SMALL NAME Companies as examples to compare with SPEW PAINT.

A starting point for equal play time against the SPI COMMERCIALS on other forums.
Matrix System Automotive Finishes
http://www.rubber-seal.com/
http://www.u-pol.com/countries/us/navigate.htm
http://www.tat-co.com/version2/products.asp
autopaintdirect.com Paint for Cars, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint for your Auto
Kirker - Automotive Finishes

The NAME and REPUTATION of this PAINT BRAND does not need any explainations.
House of Kolor- the Official Site for House of Kolor Custom Finishes

Most all of the MAJOR NAME BRANDS in PAINT also make ECONOMY BRANDS. If you want to know where to order any of these paints just ask!

http://p2forum.proboards56.com/index.cgi?board=general
http://p2forum.proboards56.com/index.cgi?board=general

Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

One thing I can speak up on is... One of the greatest things about Mr.Barry He doesn't have to push his product on any board... It speak's for it's self..... Me !!! I'm not in any SPI gang... But when I use a good product I WILL PAST IT ON TO OTHER'S...

The good thing about the world we live in is... You can have any flavor you want..

Pat... I'm getting that you sell paint as well.... Things must not be well on your end to start a bunch of BS here......

I learned in life,, You can't make people want what you have to sell... You have to let it sell it's self...No one made me try SPI... I read all over the internet How good it was.... SO I TRYED IT... And I liked it.. I didn't have to join a gang, Or thugs, Or what ever you want to call it..

As far as me being friends with Mr.Barry,, I never knew him,,, But I do look at it this way.... I did make a friend and look's like it will be for a life time...Never had the chance to meet him.... But One day I WILL go out my way to meet him and sit and laugh about a lot of this....

Not really sure why your starting a bunch of BS over this,, But I do hope the MODS will catch on to your BS and fix all this for good.. VERY SAD !!! VERY VERY SAD... I hope I'm wrong about you having a hard time if your a paint sale's man..But this isn't the way to win people on your side.... You may have the BEST thing to sell... But I think your going about it the wrong way...

The mods need to take care of this BS...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
camaroman7d (06-09-2013), John long (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

If any of those brands has a tech line that I can call 7 days a week, at any reasonable hour of the day, and go straight to the horse's mouth, then that's an easy call; I'd do their stuff all day long too. I just pull my butt cheeks apart and endure the anal rape if I have a problem or question with Evercoat products, because I can leave them an EMAIL and wait for them to respond. Sometimes they don't. I'm not going to get behind them; I can easily go elsewhere. And their price point is awful.

I've found a company with a good price point and unequaled service like I've never had with any other type of company I've worked with, regardless of the trade. None of these companies can I call their owner up any day of the week and ask him a question about....really anything paint, for that matter, even if not about their product. You cannot put a price on that for the hobbyist. It's a literal lifeline.

This isn't difficult to figure out. Barry has put himself in a position where he has chosen to offer up a service in such a way at the cost of his personal time; he can basically never get away from his work. The payback is apparently everybody shills about this stuff everywhere.

Pat, come up with a really good idea to put people behind you, and people will shill you too. It's going to require more than just whining that things seem unfair.

The quote 'losers always whine about their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen' comes to mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
camaroman7d (06-09-2013), deadbodyman (06-09-2013), NEW INTERIORS (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

As for selling anything I'm retired this post came from another board and as far as the moderator I know he'll shut this down in a heartbeat. Self etching primer just takes my breath away. And as for BS. I don't BS I stick with facts you guys called me a liar, Mr. dead body man right away you claim I was bashing the product. Poncho you wanted another paint guy to give advice you got it. Hell, I even bought my own can SPI cost me 65 bucks.It's self etching primer! Nobody questioned the quality . I've accumulated a lot of knowledge over last 23 years and coatings business. I thought I would share it. Guess not. Well I guess this'll shut down soon.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

This reminds me of when me and my wife opened a fitness center here where we live,,,,

They had a gym here that was here and bigger then we was... Well to make a long story short,,, The ownners of this big time gym try EVERYTHING you could think of to shut us down,, Sent spy's, Call ALL our memebers leaving things on their answering machines,, And the list goes on and on... Well One night I was going to go over there and raise seven kinds of H***,,, BUT My memebers seen how mad I was and ALL told me this... Randy you and your wife keep running your place and don't worry about them,,, They WILL push everyone right to you...... And guess what ??? They did just that,,, EVERYONE came to us...

Now the thing I was getting at here is.... I didn't even have to try to hurt them And I did... Didn't mean too.. But I did...So think about this little story I just posted....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.