will epoxy primer orange peel be visible after paint? - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
As for selling anything I'm retired this post came from another board and as far as the moderator I know he'll shut this down in a heartbeat. Self etching primer just takes my breath away. And as for BS. I don't BS I stick with facts you guys called me a liar, Mr. dead body man right away you claim I was bashing the product. Poncho you wanted another paint guy to give advice you got it. Hell, I even bought my own can SPI cost me 65 bucks.It's self etching primer! Nobody questioned the quality . I've accumulated a lot of knowledge over last 23 years and coatings business. I thought I would share it. Guess not. Well I guess this'll shut down soon.
I don't think I ever called you a Liar..

As far as the Mods shutting this down.. THEY SHOULD.... Just doesn't make any since... Good thing I'm not one.. It's would have never lasted this long...Passing your Knowledge is fine and welcome,,, You don't have to step on people's toes to do so...

And I'm not sure if you had a chance to read any of the rules here,, But I think it say's something about copy and paste here..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Lizer Gee I didn't mean to whine I'm so sorry, you do realize that we do have a following for over 20 years. Uncle Pat started this 1988 with no advertising all word-of-mouth. I didn't politic the magazines all I wanted to do was work on my car and not have to look for a job. I did my shows faced my customers every other weekend and took care problems when they arose.enjoyed the chat
Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Sorry new interiors. I can't type very fast never said anything about you calling me a liar. if I recall it was deadbody man
Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Great story. Let's not talk about SPI. Let's talk about self etching primer what happens when you scratch it. Will rust travel beyond scratch?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Great story. Let's not talk about SPI. Let's talk about self etching primer what happens when you scratch it. Will rust travel beyond scratch?
I could not figure out out what you were or who but this is coming all together now.

Let recap:

Paint companies are having an activator problem: (you)
Sorry, bull chit, if you know how activators are made, it is not paint companies but "Paint company" Period.

I was an expert chemical witness lately in court. (you)
And your first test was with a foam roller????

I have a salt booth. (you)
In 30 years have never heard that term from a manufacturer, I don't have one but I do have a cabinet.

I bought self etch primer from SPI. (you)
Sorry SPI stop making self etch 5-8 years ago.

You really don't know the difference between epoxy and self etch, do you?

It was also you that recommended a urethane primer for coating a frame.

Now for you question, will self etch creep? Glad to see you were on the spi forum and reading about the salt spray test I posted, its a good education, that you will never get from people that DON'T make there own stuff but have it private labeled for them with no spec's, just a price worry.

Why don't you answer the question, MR professional witness and I will be happy to correct you, as you stumble and try to make things up, as i have 10,000's of hours on a wide range of products, including pictures that I have tested over the years.
That post I did with pictures on the SPI forum must really confused you, especially the one with the 2K primer, that you recommend for frames.
Maybe that is why they call boat bottom paint, "Urethane primer"! LOL

Like I said at the very beginning, life has kind of passed you by, try getting a hobby or a girlfriend, might make you a better person.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
camaroman7d (06-09-2013), da34guy (07-26-2013), John long (06-09-2013), NEW INTERIORS (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

Hi Barry, good to hear from you. Let's see so many things to address salt spray cabinet or salt spray booth we call it a booth. As for the activators or anything can be contaminated the court case was involving moisture cured urethane against the National Paint Company of New Jersey. You are right. I no longer manufacture am not an expert on chemicals. I always had a trained staff for that. By the way, most of them make the paint and restore cars. I have not seen your salt spray tests. 10,000 hours is very impressive .Looking through your booklet I didn't see anything about salt spray or chemical resistance, outdoor exposure, all Mastercoat product data sheets contain that type of information.I'll have to visit your own the chat room as for the primer. I ordered through one of my dealers. We asked for the most anti-corrosive you had. I'll be the first to admit that I don't particularly care for epoxy, use some 10 years ago lifted the body work might've been my fault. The was last time I used it.The lab guys are now working on the new/ old zinc rich primer that'll be an epoxy I'm going to put an offshore oil rig on the label. Maybe next to it but an outline of the Duesenberg.well, the next generation have taken over the business but its like the Mafia. They keep pulling me back in keep up the good work
Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hi Barry, good to hear from you. Let's see so many things to address salt spray cabinet or salt spray booth we call it a booth. As for the activators or anything can be contaminated the court case was involving moisture cured urethane against the National Paint Company of New Jersey. You are right. I no longer manufacture am not an expert on chemicals. I always had a trained staff for that. By the way, most of them make the paint and restore cars. I have not seen your salt spray tests. 10,000 hours is very impressive .Looking through your booklet I didn't see anything about salt spray or chemical resistance, outdoor exposure, all Mastercoat product data sheets contain that type of information.I'll have to visit your own the chat room as for the primer. I ordered through one of my dealers. We asked for the most anti-corrosive you had. I'll be the first to admit that I don't particularly care for epoxy, use some 10 years ago lifted the body work might've been my fault. The was last time I used it.The lab guys are now working on the new/ old zinc rich primer that'll be an epoxy I'm going to put an offshore oil rig on the label. Maybe next to it but an outline of the Duesenberg.well, the next generation have taken over the business but its like the Mafia. They keep pulling me back in keep up the good work
Wow, quite the admission, that you are clueless, like I pointed out before with your first post.

Now for your integrity!!!
You posted the order number on line and yet you had a friend order it in his name and you get on here and slander a company?
Holy chit, with friends like you, who the F needs enemies?
This tells me you are a ball-ess cu+t and not one ounce of integrity.

Now salt spray test, are you aware the majors have industrial companies divisions to meet the hours you seen to be in love with?
One that has some of the best epoxies in the world are S&W and they have a lot of different ones and yet their automotive one does not impress me at all, now why would that be?????
PPG bought an Atlanta company about 7 years ago and all they made was specialized epoxy, yet you see not of this in automotive refinish, wonder why???
Because, in third grade they learned that for every positive there is a negative! In third grade form that means you don't use an oil rig epoxy on a car and you don't use a car epoxy on a oil rig.

So send me your 10,000 hour test product and I will run a detailed with picture test and perhaps I could show you how it fails in one test at say 100-200 hours and then to be fair, the send test, I could make it last say 20,000 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
da34guy (07-26-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Lizer Gee I didn't mean to whine I'm so sorry, you do realize that we do have a following for over 20 years. Uncle Pat started this 1988 with no advertising all word-of-mouth. I didn't politic the magazines all I wanted to do was work on my car and not have to look for a job. I did my shows faced my customers every other weekend and took care problems when they arose.enjoyed the chat
never heard of this company before. Searched around online for some stuff....it had some discussion in some forums, all the reviews were positive. I'll try some of the stuff out for myself on a project coming up.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
This reminds me of when me and my wife opened a fitness center here where we live,,,,

They had a gym here that was here and bigger then we was... Well to make a long story short,,, The ownners of this big time gym try EVERYTHING you could think of to shut us down,, Sent spy's, Call ALL our memebers leaving things on their answering machines,, And the list goes on and on... Well One night I was going to go over there and raise seven kinds of H***,,, BUT My memebers seen how mad I was and ALL told me this... Randy you and your wife keep running your place and don't worry about them,,, They WILL push everyone right to you...... And guess what ??? They did just that,,, EVERYONE came to us...

Now the thing I was getting at here is.... I didn't even have to try to hurt them And I did... Didn't mean too.. But I did...So think about this little story I just posted....
EXACTLY!!!!! Good example Randy....
Pat,The bar has been set pretty high most of us have abused SPI epoxy to the limits and its simply the BEST out there...Try this for your next test and see what happens: leave a 1/2" or so of SPI in your gun and let it sit for 24 hrs then try to get it apart never mind cleaning it....It takes about three days but use gun cleaner, lacquer thinner wont touch it.Ive done this twice ,quite by accident.
Once the epoxy has cured try scraping off with a razor blade like I've done then wet it down (REAL WET) with thinner ,reducer anything you want and try scraping it off again and see if its softend, it hasnt ...The only thing as far as I know that will effect it is paint stripper...I've even got brake fluid all over mine when I forgot to fasten down my master cylinder cover,still nothing. gasoline /still no effect.
You should know that us body and paint guys are a very dedicated bunch to our brands, heck, there still a bunch of lacquer primer guys out there that even try anything else
Like I said the bars been set pretty high but if other companies take notice they might try selling a superior product at the lowest price possible then take SPI's business model and apply it they might do better,we're tired of sending the CEO's to the bahamamas for manicures and raising the prices every week to support all this crap....AND then theres the smaller companies trying to jump on the screw the paint and body shops band wagon selling cheap crap at cheap prices...Theres a big market out there for selling crap paint materials to hobiests and we try our best to warn them about this but for the ones that wont listen theres a big market aimed at them too.
So , if I can get glasurat for the price of Nason I'm going with Glasurat which would be just what SPI universal clear is like spraying I swear its the same stuff in a different can....
SPI IS the best and us pros love them, they've earned our respect...accept it...
My greatest fear is SPI selling out to PPG or Dopont but Barry has assured me he wont..
Try actually using some of that SPI epoxy on a car see how it sands and builds and you'll most likely be the next cult member all excited about how well it works....BTW, you can call me Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
John long (06-09-2013), NEW INTERIORS (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Sorry new interiors. I can't type very fast never said anything about you calling me a liar. if I recall it was deadbody man
I didnt actually call you a liar when you said that SPI epoxy will wash of with thinner after 7days ,I said untrue......but thats what I ment if thats what you ment....
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

I'll say again, nobody ever bashed SPI or any other paint. I coated some test panels a week later, someone asked a question of what to do with a primer that had hardend So I took a panel I rubbed lacquer thinner and some came off. I did it again the following day a little less came off I did in the third day, just barely moved.as a matter of fact I said to Brian. It's good to have some kind of window so other paints could adhere. From that point on, I'm a liar, I'm bashing the product. My integrity's in question. My life is in question. My love lifes in question Urethane primer on a frame unheard of! I'm a coward because one of my guys ordered paint. This battle has nothing to do with the product but has everything to do with the commercials. This is been going on for years as demonstrated by other boards.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
First of self etching primer uses acid and theres no point talking about it ,it sucks....second, SPI is a self etching EPOXY primer even evercoat has a selfetching finishing putty but it's not a primer at all
Lets see.....
I have a camaro thats had SPI epoxy on it for quite a while...I had primed the bare metal when it was about 40 degrees and I had some adheasion problems. I had scraped it off in a few places a while back and its been outside for a few months so of corse the bare metal has started rusting ,it would be interesting to see what if anything is happening under the the epoxy thats still there...I was going to run up to the shop and do some painting anyways so later on I'll post what I find out...That seems like a good test to me....
most of this car was treated with ospho before epoxy,with the exception of the nose (epoxy over clean sanded metal) it would be interesting to see how those areas are doing under the epoxy also..
.be back with the results.....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 06-09-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
This is just ludicrous how Pat has been attacked here, LUDICROUS! He has been a gentleman and replied to the attacks like a gentleman this really needs to stop!

I think he has explained himself well enough that we can move on with life and understand that there was no "attack" of SPI products here. And if there was, simply show or explain yourself and that is all there is needed.

Geeeeez guys, we all have different experiences on stuff, different ways to do things, hell I LOATH Harbor Freight and their junk tools but many guys go and buy them and get something done with them.

There are a ton of great guys here, I have been a regular visitor to this site for for almost 10 years now because of the amazing knowledge and great personalities here, let's lighten up a little.

Brian
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Quote:
I don't BS I stick with facts you guys called me a liar,
I was only going by this post you made... But if it wasn't to me then Good...

But I think by now you woke up a sleeping giant....
Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

My name is Pat Mastrincola google me you will see how much i fear.Brain thank you for your kind remarks. It's deeply appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.