Hot Rod Forum banner

Will a frame shaped like this work under a pickup truck?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm planning a frame (and probably drive train) swap for a 1959 F250. The wheel base, track width, frame width and such are nearly identical on the 2000-ish Expedition. However, that last arch in the frame has me worried that it will make my pickup bed fit funny. I need the bed usable so channeling it is not an option. I also dont really want to re-arc the frame because as you can see there is a suspension mounting point way at the back. Anyone feel like talking me out of this?

Thank you!

*Picture is not mine*

See less See more
#3 ·
Frame swaps very rarely work out like the easy-peasy swap guys think it is going to be....more like never easy.

Swap the front suspension you want to the original frame, swap a rear axle onto leaf springs, then swap the drivetrain package.....then you will know the body fits back on it.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "simple frame swap" I could retire.

I helped do a "simple frame swap" of S-10 frame/4.3 Engine/Overdrive trans to '53 Chevy truck. The guy also had done a previous '52 Chevy truck with a Mustang II front suspension conversion on the stock frame, SBC power, and Camaro leaf spring rear axle.

The "easy frame swap" took 3 times longer to build than the first truck did. The old truck body needed a ton of modifications to fit the newer frame....and we had to shorten the S-10 frame a couple inches anyway on top of that....front radiator support, the new frame and steering box all wanted to occupy the same space.

#4 ·
What is the issue with the frame you have? Frame swaps usually do not work well at all. Now saying that I have put a pickup cab on a suburban chassis but the burb was a similar year to the pickup and the frame was the same. So a bit newer Ford pickup frame may work for you.

Sam

#5 ·
I really appreciate all the feedback folks. You've convinced me not to do the Expedition swap (after a couple beers later I may change my mind).

My '59 has been sitting in a field for a long time, the sheet metal is in miraculously good shape but everything else needs a full rebuild. I also would love to end up with a fuel injected engine. My frame is in good shape but if I modify the front end for IFS, modify the center for the FI engine cradle and transmission mount and modify the rear end for an underbed gas tank and better shocks, it seems like attempting to preserve the original frame would just result in a few short sections of "original" (weaker) frame and fitment issues with headers and such.

I did a '48 F1 with a Jaguar IFS before and spent most of that time telling myself my next project work be a full frame.

#6 ·
You're talking to hotrodders, so anything will fit anything...

Ford pickup body/bed onto a Ford Crown Vic frame with EFI 4.6L is popular... lowers the truck and gives all the other improvements you want as well... and even more... like handling... 25 MPG... 135 MPH... 4 wheel disc brakes...

#10 ·
Thank you...

Oh, you have one of those 'little trucks'... my '78 F150 SuperCab 8' bed has 155" wheelbase... LOL!

Crown Vics came with a 4" longer rear door option which may make for a 119" wheelbase... or weld in 4" to the standard frame at a low stress point...

You're welcome...

#8 ·
Jamieson, there are hot rodders who are fabricators and there are hot rodders who are NOT fabricators, who will simply buy parts that fit together with bolts and nuts. Learning to be a successful fabricator takes time and experience, something that most hot rodders are not willing to become involved in, perhaps due to time constraints in their daily lives.

I will label myself as a beginner fabricator, even though I have done modifications of all different kinds on many different kinds of vehicles and I will tell you that there is no more satisfying feeling than to stand back and eyeball the results of your efforts in doing something that others will not attempt.

On any engine swap, clip swap or frame swap, it is nothing more complicated than cutting away whatever is in the way and rebuilding it so that it has good "eyeball". It takes time, planning and talent, but most of us are capable of doing it correctly if we just make a concerted effort and practice, practice, practice.

For instance, the bed interference with the rear frame rails.......after securing the new frame in a jig so that it will not move around, weld in a new rear frame like you need it to be to clear the truck bed, then cut out the original frame that was in the way. Leaving the old frame in place while you weld in the new pieces will keep everything lined up. Then you can set about making the new frame section pretty to look at.

Simple, simple, simple. Just plan your work, take your time, and work your plan.

Oh, and Buzz is my hero, saying anything will fit anything. It certainly will. :thumbup:

#11 ·
Just to throw my 2 cents in on frame swaps. :rolleyes:

".....The wheel base, track width, frame width and such are nearly identical......"

How the statement above is defined is where most full frame swaps start going south. An 1/8" to 1/2" is nearly identical, much more than that usually leads to a visually unappealing swap........it may work but it will just not look right.

This is my 37 Dodge project. One of the things that really bothered me from the first time I brought it home was where the tires centered in the rear fenders.

You can see the difference that only 2 1/2" inches makes.

In full disclosure the top picture is with the wheels in the factory location :eek: and with the stock size tires and wheels it was as noticeable as it is with the larger tires on it.

#12 ·
That wheel placement pic is just the reminder I needed to keep from trying to convince myself to do something lazy.

I like the idea of a crown vic front end, but hate the way the rest of the frame has to go through the "hidden running boards" on my '59. Cutting those up is off the table in my mind. Since the stock axle in my '59 is decent (Dana 60), I may just do a Crown Vic IFS, engine/trans/accessory, and transmission crossmember swap and rebuild the stock rear.

A full frame from an Expedition is still tugging at my mind though... I guess it depends on if a good Expedition or Crown Vic shows up first on Craigslist. End result would be two pretty different trucks but either one sounds equally fun.

I really appreciate all of the input.

#13 ·
I have an '04 Crown Vic, my friend has an '02 Mercury version, I was amazed that the suspension and steering setups were totally different! Mine has a bizarre looking, backhanded, Z-design universal joint setup in the steering shaft... it looks totally amateur... I couldn't believe it when I looked at it...

Are you running more power than a Ford 8.8" rear can handle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.