Will I get sick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Unhappy Will I get sick

I know this would probably be better in a tech forum but I'll try it here since more people frequent here.

I read in the body exterior forum that welding galvanized steel can be really dangerous and make you sick.

I always knew I was dangerous but my friend told me if I have enough ventilation I'll be fine.

So I welded galvanized steel a month ago but I did it outside since I knew I needed ventilation. Nothin' ever happned after that but now I'm kinda scared. Do you guys think that if it woulda affected me I woulda noticed by now?

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004, 02:59 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You should be ok, the damage is already done. Now if you were diabetic I would say get to the hospital quick, but your only 16, low chance of that.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

yes I am Diabetic

Mike
Old 09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

man I could have run with this one.

Dude, I'm only joking. As far as I know it's just hard on your body. Like painting with out a mask or something.

Ok here we go http://www.finishing.com/164/33.html

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 09-14-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Let the wheels of life roll on

Last journal entry: donor truck for hot rod hellion
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
man I could have run with this one.

Dude, I'm only joking. As far as I know it's just hard on your body. Like painting with out a mask or something.

Ok here we go http://www.finishing.com/164/33.html
hey i wasn't wearing ventalating mask's while we layed primer, and i got feeling pretty good and giggly. next morning was hell.

should i worry......
Old 09-25-2004, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Putting extreme heat (welding) on galvanized metal will produce lead oxide vapors, which are toxic. It's a cumulative effect, and unless you get a huge dose, you won't feel it, but the lead will accumulate in your body and you will get symptoms as you get older. When you are young and invincible this isn't an issue, I suppose.....

The lead will accumulate in your body's fat cells and there is no way to flush it out, so once it's there, it's there forever......
Old 09-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

welding

The sure sign that you got to much is you will get flu like symptoms the next day. If you were exposed to alot of fumes the symptoms would be really bad.

Your ok........ but i strongly suggest you don't weld it no more... it does bad things to you body.....

Keith
Old 09-25-2004, 10:00 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

stores in your fat cells? sounds like lipho (SP) suction has more than one benefit! but then whats your liver do?? so what you guys are saying is that its kinda like asbestos and you wont notice it for a long time.. i guess i really screwed myself up when i inhaled enough kerosene fumes (washing parts) that kerosene was all i could smell for a new days and my throat was sore (could have been a cold to tho) might haunt me when i am like 30...
Old 09-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

or what I do is slap on thick coats of bondo and then get the grinder out and put a sanding disk on and sand all the bondo down. In short time the bondo is EVERYWHERE in my garage in little dust particles, that bad for the lung to0?

Mike
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 AM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Hey Mike!

Mike, and everybody else too.
Heres some safety info for you.
There are also a couple of links you need to read. Just like it was a school assignment.

Here's the one on Heavy Metal Poisoning. No not the Styx song. well sortof.
and a quote from it:
Quote:
Symptoms will vary, depending on the nature and the quantity of the heavy metal ingested. Patients may complain of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, headache, sweating, and a metallic taste in the mouth. Depending on the metal, there may be blue-black lines in the gum tissues. In severe cases, patients exhibit obvious impairment of cognitive, motor, and language skills. The expression "mad as a hatter" comes from the mercury poisoning prevalent in 17th century France among hatmakers who soaked animal hides in a solution of mercuric nitrate to soften the hair.
This is a PDF on Welding Galvanized Iron safely
Quote:
The first line of defense in dealing with zinc oxide fumes is welder training. Welders should taught -- even when welding uncoated materials -- to keep their heads out of the fume plume and to position themselves relative to the air flow around themselves so fumes and dust do not collect inside their welding shields. If a welder finds white dust inside his welding shield when welding galvanized products, he is not positioning himself properly. When welding galvanized products that have thin, uniform coatings and the process is gas-shielded MIG or flux core, the gumes generated are sparse and the shielding gas blows them away from the welder; this is frequently sufficient to avoid metal fume fever without further action.
To complement proper positioning, a fully effective method to preventing inhaling zinc fumes is to wear a suitable respirator (mask).

Some of the commercial products which are suitable are:
Manufacturer Product Description Cost ($ each)
3M (800-328-1667) 9920 Half-Mask, Disposable 4.50
3M 9925 Half-Mask, Disposable 5.00
3M 9970 Half-Mask, Disposable 6.50
Moldex 3400 Half-Mask, Disposable 6.00

Here's some stuff you should know.

1. Always wear a dust mask when grinding or sanding. Paint and Resin (Epoxy, Vinyl etc.) materials can cause allergic reactions even if they are labeled "non-toxic. Most of them are toxic. Even completely inert substances, when inhaled as small particles, will damage the lungs.

2. Wear gloves Dust from Bondo type materials cause allergic reactions when in contact with the skin. It affects some people more than others but chemicals from the resins are absorbed through the skin and may cause liver deterioration over time.

3. Safety Glasses! I would hope I wouldn't even have to mention them except if you are working in heavy dust they should be goggles or a ventilated hood.

Isn't there a safety manual on HR somewhere? I swear I've seen this discussed.

I'm pretty up on this stuff because I was able to trade doing a Safety Manual for a place in return for blasting and priming my front clip.

Roy.

Last edited by meanroy; 09-26-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

When ever you weld galvanized metal you should always position yourself upwind of the work surface and work in an outside well ventilated area. I always use a fan to help blow the smoke away also. Position the fan so it blows at your face and not the weld area, or else it will blow the shielding gas from the work and the work quality will suffer .
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Before reading all the technical information that will likely bore you to tears, read what a real person has to say (click here) .

Eric, known as Sevt_Chevelle here on Hotrodders is a great guy, just turned 27 last week (happy birthday Eric) and is damaged for life from ONE exposure to zinc fumes. Weld thru primer, ecoat primer both are very rich in zinc, just like galvanizing.

Like I tell the guys at work when I see them without protection, you aren't always going to be a young stud, one day you will be an old man. You want to get there safely, you want to be able to enjoy your retirement, not laying on the couch with an oxygen bottle.

Don't play games, don't joke about it. It is NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT.

And for Gods sake don't use the old "its only a little bit" line. All these "little" exposures add up. Like putting that change from you pocket in a jar every night adds up. Next thing you know you have $500.00 in pennies, dimes and quarters and lung cancer.

If every time we grab one of these chemicals, or sand or grind "just one little weld" or weld a little weld without a resporator (weld thru primer is about 99% zinc, can you say "zinc fume fever?) or something, and don't protect ourselves because it is "only one little _______", we are dropping a few coins in the jar by our bed.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

Nightfire- if it has been a month then you have nothing to worry about. Just don't do it again! Welding galvanized metal can be very dangerous since it gives off zinc oxide and small amounts of lead. This is one of those things some people do many times and seem to get away with, but the risks are too great and if it does get you then you are in a world of hurt. I am not saying that you should not weld galvanized metal, I am just saying BE CAREFUL! Use a welding fumes mask EVERY TIME such as a 3M 8212 disposable or something similar and do not depend on ventilation alone to protect you. I am pleased to see someone your age thinking about safety as what you do now can have a profound effect on you later on in life. I,like a lot of others,suffer from things I did years ago that I never gave second thought to at the time. You will never regret working safely but you may regret an unsafe act for the rest of your life!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Old enough to know better

Welded a few pieces of galvanized bar for a seat bracket in a closed garage once. I was sicker than a dog that night. You had better believe I don't even think about welding any galvanized without extra precautions now. I was an experienced welder, it was a cold day and I just didn't give it a second thought when I closed the door. DO give it second thoughts - EVERYTIME.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:00 AM

Last photo:

I work on home respiratory equipment for a living. I'm in and out of the house of people with breathing problems all day long. The most prevalent of couse are the smokers. But after that, are the welders and painters.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.