Hot Rod Forum banner

Will a intake off vortec heads fit non-vortec heads

26K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
I always seem to end up here when i google a motor question. so i might as well join.
My question, Is there a difference in intakes. Im goin from vortec heads to stock heads will the intake from the vortec heads work on the new heads? it all looks the same im just not sure on ports, water jackets an such.

a lil info
block cast 3970010 (.060)
new head cast 3932441
intake from vortec heads is an edlebrock high-rise air gap (the one i wanna use i think its a victor jr)

#4 ·
Intake and water ports are in the same place but bolt holes are not. Vortec uses 8 verticle bolts, non-vortec is 12 angled bolts. No interchange.

This is assuming when you say "vortec heads" you are referring to the 96-up Vortec heads that poeple are now using for performance, not the 86-95 heads off some of the engines with the name "vortec" on the engine covers but aren't true vortec heads.

#6 ·
nobody_1250 said:
well the intake has 12 bolt holes but the the heads it came off of had valve covers with 2 center hole mount, was i wrong to assume they were vortac heads (i couldnt get the numbers on those heads)
Those would not be Vortec, just common centerbolt valvecover heads. True Vortec heads have a 8 bolt intake pattern. If your intake has a 12-bolt pattern it will fit the 3932441 heads you have.

#10 ·
Centerbolt heads refer to anything 1986 and later. They could be TBI heads :pain:

Quick rundown:
- old heads, 12 intake bolt holes, all are same-angled.
- TBI heads, 12 intake bolt holes, center four are at a different angle
- Vortec heads, 8 intake bolt holes, straight down angle.
- All heads starting in mid-86 became centerbolt valve covers.

Of those, you can swap TBI stuff with the older style but you have to wallow out the holes to match whatever angle you want.

Vortec heads are only cast in numbers that end with 062 and 906. Those two heads (what are referred to as Vortec heads despite the "vortec" name being used for 15 years) have the different ports and 8-bolt pattern. They are not interchangable. Period. You could make them work with about $1500 worth of welding, machine work, and modifications... :p

#12 ·
bondo said:
Ayuh,... Not to argue, but that's just plain ole Wrong....

The Intake ports are .200" Higher on Vortec heads, 'n the intake ports are Also....
Maybe you see it that way, but the water ports and intake ports are in the same basic location they have been in since 1955. Might be a little taller, wider, whatever, but if the gasket is big enough it will cover and seal. It is the bolt holes location, angle and number used that are majorly different and the thing that prevents swapping Vortec intakes for conventional intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.