Will internet tax effect catalog houses? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

guys better enjoy the good ol days of the internet while they last cause the government wants in. They'll probably create a huge problem so they can fool the people into thinking they have a solution. Why not, it has worked for them in other situations?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I do not care about somebody else's small business. I care if I can afford something.

If I know what I want. I should not have to pay a storefronts overhead, to get it shipped directly to me.
Well, I think you will care, at some point ... or at least you should.
Prepare yourself for a short lesson in "Parts Store 101".

If everyone myopically shops on price alone, without putting ANY value on the "value added" personal service being offered locally, those store will begin to whither away.

Consider this scenario:
You're broke down on the side of the highway and desperately need a (fill in the blank -- e.g. water pump, alternator, power steering hose, belt ... whatever)

Guess what? The parts store that your standing in or phoning is FAR less likely to have the part you need BECAUSE a store's stocked inventory is based upon the probability of being able to sell any part at a minimum turnover rate, and to make an honest profit in doing so.

This is especially important in a small-town store that wouldn't sell more than 4 or so of this item in a year. (a turnover rate of 4 is really pushing the boundaries of profitability in ANY store.)

In fact, NAPA (Canada for sure) uses a system called "classification" that factors in vehicle population and part replacement frequency data to *suggest* stocking levels.

Thanks to on-line shoppers and "value-conscious consumers" (that's a euphamism, BTW) sales of the particular part that you now need have slumped, and have been classified at a level below the store's guidelines and stocking parameters.

If these store cannot maintain profitability ... they WILL eventually close permanently. Do you expect that they will remain open, and have a part on hand just because your car is broke down on the side of the road and you need it NOW?

No. You won't have any choice BUT to order your parts online and WAIT. Pay the tow-truck and the impound fees.
I know, you COULD buy a spare vehicle, or ride a bicycle.
What about insurance and registration on that "spare vehicle".
Are you still "saving money"?

Thinking long-term, after the demise of the "brick-and-mortar" parts store ... what do you think will happen to these terrific, almost-unbelievably low on-line prices when they don't have any competition? Hmmmmm. Well I suppose you could get one directly from China.

You'll eventually realize that you're "just a number" to them ... a nameless, faceless, entity ...

Will you expect online outlets to care about you and your wants and needs?
Don't hold your breath, and the Complaint Department is on the 13th floor.

Sorry for the rant, but I have to admit that your apparent attitude and comments have hit pretty close to home. So just think about it ... that's all I ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to 66GMC For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (05-14-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

sadly to many never saw what the P.A.W, SUPER SHOPS ,SUMMIT, JEGS
ETC did to the local speed shop..
when I started driving.. you could go to the local shop, hang out.. look through the catologs, talk to other gearheads,
wow you paint, and need heads put on, wow, I need some body work,, and you became friends..
you needed a an fitting on a friday night to hit the track sat, it was there.. intake gaskets, there, carb jets, etc there,
while shooting the s__t, "you know a good trans guy" sure.. let me call so and so and get his #..
that all died.. because of no sales tax, a lower price and at the time
3 dollar shipping..
and it killed off the speed shops..
and all summit was/is was a parts warehouse that desided to sell speed parts directly..
speedshops would still be around if the parts makers would sell to them directly, but they don't..
around here the speedshop would get it from keystone warehouse.. and the shops cost was what summit sell it for.. as they are selling it at wholesale to retail customers..
the parts makers where ok with it, because summit would buy 1500 intakes at a whack.. carbs same thing..
now you need a part you order and wait, ya, it'll get to you in 2-3 days, don't help you if it's friday and the show/race is tomorrow..
so now you order 2 sets of carb bowl gaskets, or maybe 5 sets, so you'll have them, same with powervalves, jets, plugs, rotor,cap( if an msd distributor) or if you want a good HEI cap with brass terminals, as the local chain store junk is alum terminals, extra wires,
now you really are not saving anything as you've become you're own little warehouse..
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

66gmc your scenario is fiction. Business is business. Things are how they are. You sound very emotional, I don't think your plight has anything to do with me, or my ethos.

Your best bet would be to try and adapt to the modern society you find yourself in. If you fight it , there are way of them than you. If you want someone to care, get the bank to care. I have enough on my plate than somebody elses business venture that has nothing to do with me.

Your not homeless starving on the street, that I know of. There is no connection to that human compassion. You are discussing a business, it can fail or float.

Im not the banker. He is the one that needs to be sold on your view.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
66gmc your scenario is fiction. Business is business. Things are how they are. You sound very emotional, I don't think your plight has anything to do with me, or my ethos.

Your best bet would be to try and adapt to the modern society you find yourself in. If you fight it , there are way of them than you. If you want someone to care, get the bank to care. I have enough on my plate than somebody elses business venture that has nothing to do with me.

Your not homeless starving on the street, that I know of. There is no connection to that human compassion. You are discussing a business, it can fail or float.

Im not the banker. He is the one that needs to be sold on your view.
sorry, but you are a blind fool..
that can't think past your hands
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

Name calling? and insults?

Please remain in an adult mindset. The business world operates with a level of maturity . It is not emotional and caring.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Name calling? and insults?

Please remain in an adult mindset. The business world operates with a level of maturity . It is not emotional and caring.

then try acting like it..

"i only care if I can afford it" you are like the kid that doesn't get his way, runs away with the ball..

sorry, buddy, business is thinking, your thinking is SHORT TERM..
the smart people in business think LONG TERM..
you'd fail before you start,
you see, when the American autoparts makers are all dead from you "price only fools", and then everything is made outside the boarders, and our economy tanks more (and it will) and they stop making the parts as the buyers have dried up.. then what..
again your short term gain is a fools game

Last edited by gearheadslife; 05-09-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

Yeah , you try to find that quote.

Insults , and misquotes.

LOSER. You earned that.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Yeah , you try to find that quote.

Insults , and misquotes.

LOSER. You earned that.

FROM YOUR POST PAGE 1, POST #3

"I do not care about somebody else's small business. I care if I can afford something. It is overly utopian to imply otherwise."

YUP, WELL THERE IT IS.. in all it's glory
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Selling parts drives business -- not banks. No bank would be willing to float a loan to a dying business.

My scenario is what I believe to be typical, not fictional ... and is based on what I have observed over the period of about 35 years.

The store that I'm employed at IS successful, because, I believe, that we DO care about the wants and needs of our customers.

In the scenario that I described (roadside emergency) I would ask the customer where else he has tried, and would offer to call ALL of the competitors in Olds and nearby towns to help him find the part he needs ... without an expectation of making one thin dime for this service. Try that at big box store or online.

Let's get back to the term "affordable" for second.

I find it hard to take the guy driving the $80,000.00 diesel pickup ... blinged out with all the toys, texting on his $800.00 i-Phone (plus $50.00/mth data plan), wearing Oakley sunglasses, and holding an extra-large double-double (Tim Horton's coffee) seriously when he whines about the cost of a filter or belt or the like.

Or the guy with the $250,000.00+ motorhome that tells me he can buy wiper blades in Arizona for $6.95.

Or the guy that shows up drunk / hung over and complains about the price of a quart of oil. (Think about that one ... a quart of booze costs how much? Lasts how long?)

Back in the 60's a standard spark plug used to cost $1.00, the average house cost $20,000.00, and minimum wage was $1.50 /hr or so. So tell me why I get people complaing when the current price of that same or similar plug is $3.00(CAD) and change ???

When is the last time that you heard a customer complain about prices at the dentist office, optometrist, or even a grocery store? Yet people have the belief that it's not ony acceptable ... but almost expected / entitled behavior at an automotive parts and service counter.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

You omitted a word now. Ever changing and stumbling. WEAK.

Find your original quote. If you quote something , you are saying they said "this". You do not add words when quoting someone or change there meaning.

You have proved to me your not able to comprehend simple ideas. Please do not continue posting in this thread. Unless you can abide by rules of print. DONT EVER FN MISQUOTE ME AGAIN.

I will leave you to your business, but with a final thoughT.

When playing MONOPOLY , are you the guy that

A) Continues to play for as long you can, when you will lose and know it

B) Rage quits, when you land on boardwalk with hotels

C) throws the game and ends it, so a new game can start

Last edited by spinn; 05-10-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

66gmc, its hard to speculate the changing market. You make good points, and it was better for small businesses. In 10 years there might not be sparkplugs commonly sold anymore.

With the success of the online franchises, the core business model is changing.

Last edited by spinn; 05-10-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
You omitted a word now. Ever changing and stumbling. WEAK.

Find your original quote. If you quote something , you are saying they said "this". You do not add words when quoting someone or change there meaning.

You have proved to me your not able to comprehend simple ideas. Please do not continue posting in this thread. Unless you can abide by rules of print. DONT EVER FN MISQUOTE ME AGAIN.

I will leave you to your business, but with a final thoughT.

When playing MONOPOLY , are you the guy that

A) Continues to play for as long you can, when you will lose and know it

B) Rage quits, when you land on boardwalk with hotels

C) throws the game and ends it, so a new game can start
well thats the problem we are talking with a guy that thinks live is like the game monopoly,,
we call them L.I.V'S
low information voters
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
66gmc, its hard to speculate the changing market. You make good points, and it was better for small businesses. In 10 years there might not be sparkplugs commonly sold anymore.

With the success of the online franchises, the core business model is changing.
You're probably right in saying that the business model may be changing, but NOT for the better.

People just need to look past the almighty dollar for a change, as they really are shooting themselves in the foot.

10-15 years ago, for example, you could get brake and chassis parts for some VERY old vehicles. Wagner, Raybestos, Moog, NAPA Chassis (Spicer) catalogs had part numbers, and they were available out of the DISTRIBUTION NETWORK (caps for emphasis) ... yes the much-resented chain of "middle-men" and the need to make a dollar in order to service the nessecary infrastructure.

At least a couple of things have changed since then.
Off-shore out-sourcing.
Internet shopping.
Shareholders in publicly-traded corporations.
Computer-driven statistical approach to maximizing profitability.

Cheap prices (unfairly cheap due to differences in labor costs, IMO) decreased overall sales and profitability for what I'll call "traditional manufacturers" ... and eroded the ability to stock and absorb those low-demand items. Warehousing costs are expensive!

Look at ANY off-shore product line, and you will find that the number of SKU's are MUCH smaller than they are with the traditional suppliers. They care ONLY about high turn-over items that they can copy and supply in bulk. Go to any of these Chinesium suppliers, and you will find that they have minimum order quantities expressed in terms of TONNAGE.

So what does that mean for North American consumers?
Right now we have more choices in the sheer number of auto manufacturers and available models.
Not to mention equipment options.
Now throw the "Good, Better, Best" options for replacement parts into the mix.

The way I forsee it ... this consumerism madness cannot continue, and we will return to an era of "cookie-cutter" cars available in any color you want ... as long as it's black.

These cars and their replacement parts will be produced off-shore, and I'm reasonably sure that prices will rise.

Yes this is, admittedly, fiction ... for now.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I think the colapse of the dollar.. along with venders not stocking anything,(you'll notice that older car parts are not instock but at a "hub" that services 1000's of stores)
warehouse cost are huge, and more venders are distroying product over stocking is. and taking the tax write off..
when the reg joe doesn't go to the junkyard for parts as they have no money, the owner will start crushing stuff to keep food on HIS table..
car guys are in a world of hurt soon.. as the epa doesn't like old cars.. and one way to limit their use and number on the road is part surply chains..
do you think if they can offer money(cash for clunkers) to the public.. they can't offer a tax deduction for limiting parts surplies for cars/trucks over 15-20 years old.. and do you think these vendors that are stapped for cash would not jump on board..
some people need to remember that the junk we play with is mighty old..
think about this it's been 19 years since the gen I chevy small block was used in a car and 13 years in a truck and 11 in vans..
newer car parts cost more.. and part houses only have so much capital to play with..
so they'll stock the newer stuff that sells 25 to 1 to a older car..
you know your stuffs getting old when parts stores don't carry (on hand) a g.m. 9.5" rear drum that almost every g.m. car from the 60's till the 90's used..
the less of something, the more it cost.. volume sales...
ask the buick/old/amc guys.. they've had to deal with this for years..
even the chevy guys will have this issue..
those edelbrook intakes for a smallblock are not moving like they used to.. and if summit wasn't stuck with so much stock they'd cost 500.oo just like a vortec tpi lower intake does,, and thats just the lower ..
ever here don't put all your eggs in on basket???
what if summit goes under... now what.. only thing keeping them and afloat is their parts warehouse end. of reg. parts . as they are a hub for quite a few autoparts stores..
summits/jegs business model can't last.. newer cars are fast out of the box.. not many people dropping 1000.oo for a cat back exhaust on their 450 hp car..
look at the powertour 50%+ of the vehicles are running lsx or mod motors,etc.. look at shows the old guards are slowly being phased out..
at some point real soon the older stuff will become harder to get..

WANT TO KNOW WHY YOU CAN STILL GET PACKARD PARTS IN2013??
because of the older business model were people shopped locally so there was a ton of parts across the nation..
you think with what YOU are calling a good business model that will happen..??
when there is maybe 5 warehouses in the whole country stocking only a few of each.. and less and less daily..

it's going to end up going back to the hobbies roots.. you have an old car.. you'll buy a parts car... save what you think you'd ever need and part out the rest and then buy another and do the same..

I bought a ton of stuff for my monte SS (wheel cyl/ebrake cables/starter/ign wires/etc)
because they where clearing them out.. and that means it'll be quite hard to find down the road.. will I ever need them, who knows..

what happens to summits business model if fuel goes up to 5.oo+
and as the public uses less fuel.. the states and feds up the fuel taxes??

summits and others business model is very very short term..
I'd not bet on that working all that well much longer..
they've taken hits on the shipping end for a long time.. now it's 13.oo and goes from there...
oh, and we didn't touch on this.. what you think ups/fedx will do to those internet warehouse sellers when they have a huge market share..
you think ups and fedx will not raise the rates...
they don't make much profit now.. DHL among others have left that market...
in closing you might want to rethink your AWESOME business models.. as they are short term and don't end well..
but I'm sure your college buddies and professors will tell you otherwise.... as they are taught bottom line,, make money for the shareholders at all cost..
and that business model is killing the US of A.. and it's not going to end well...
remember those that can't do. teach

as they outsource and more and more go on government aid.. the company makes a killing without having to deal with the huge dept they caused putting so many on the government rolls..
this is now coming to ahead.. if the business model had to include the cost of those displaced to the government rolls.. they'd never outsource...
coming soon is the tap shutting off. and then those that used that business model will walk away as everyone else gets hurt..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 05-10-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.