Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Will lack of quench cause problems with this SBC build? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/will-lack-quench-cause-problems-sbc-build-217682.html)

Larry123 04-02-2012 12:15 AM

Will lack of quench cause problems with this SBC build?

I have a 1976 Chevy 350, .030 over with low miles on a fairly stock rebuild. My plan was to install 64cc alum heads and a Lunati 60102 cam to warm it up and use in my 55 Chevy. I pulled the heads off and discovered flat-top pistons .043 in the hole. If I use standard .041 head gaskets the DCR comes out to 8.3:1 with this setup. Will this work ok for street use even with the poor quench?

curtis73 04-02-2012 01:42 AM

I'd be more worried about simply having not enough compression. 8.2 isn't terrible, but matching it with a Voodoo cam (219/227 duration IIRC) won't make any orgasms happen.

With a moderate mismatch like that, quench isn't your biggest issue. Bring that compression up to 9.5 or so and then you can start on the finer points like quench.

EDIT: Sorry, you said DCR. Delete last two paragraphs. Have a nice day :mwink:

454C10 04-02-2012 05:06 AM

Should be ok as 8.3:1 DCR is high enough for a street engine.

I would recheck that 0.043" measurement. seems a lot too me.

64cc heads would be much better than the 76 cc heads that came with that set up.

What did you calculate for the static compression ratio?

my87Z 04-02-2012 08:21 AM

the only way that the pistons are .043 in the hole is if it has been rebuilt with typical rebuilder pistons with are .020" shorter on compression height, this would make sense since most GM engines from the factory are .020-.025 down the whole, add another .020" and it could be .043.

my suggestion would be to first remeasure, then it you are correct, to either tear it apart and build it up correctly or i guess you could try and use about a .015" shim head gasket. this would put your quench around .058, which i have seen worse.

oldbogie 04-02-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry123
I have a 1976 Chevy 350, .030 over with low miles on a fairly stock rebuild. My plan was to install 64cc alum heads and a Lunati 60102 cam to warm it up and use in my 55 Chevy. I pulled the heads off and discovered flat-top pistons .043 in the hole. If I use standard .041 head gaskets the DCR comes out to 8.3:1 with this setup. Will this work ok for street use even with the poor quench?

X2 with "my87Z". If this is a real measurement than what you've got are rebuilder pistons used on decked blocks to restore the original .020-.025 inch piston crown to head deck clearance. This maintains stock compression ratios for the mass engine rebuilders that simply zero deck all blocks they run on a set up whether they need it or not. This is not like your neighbor-hood auto machine shop where they do not as a matter of course zero deck the block they are working on. That would only happen is the deck was warped or the customer asks for it.

If you don't yet have the aluminum heads the quick way out of this would be to go with a iron head with the Vortec style chamber and use a .015 thick shim gasket. This would give a squish/quench of .055 which is still pretty effective.

The problem this situation creates is that the parts industry makes two different pistons for a rebuild. For the Small Block Chevy these are standard compression height of 1.56 inch and rebuilder for stock replacement compression decked engines at 1.54 inch. Compression height is the name for the distance from the pin bore center to the crown of the piston. The crown being the top edge above the rings. This may be the same as the total surface as in a flat top, or it may be an edge above a dish, or an edge around a higher dome. But I compute an SCR of 9.7 to 1 with this set up which is a bit high for a cast iron head. You could go with an open chamber head at 74 ccs which would drop the SCR to 8.8 with no other changes which is a bit low.

You a bit between a rock and a hard place where you need tight squish/quench for the compression but can't get to the optimum .040 and the ratio is a bit high which needs all the squish/quench you can get. Going to a larger chamber drops the ratio under but pretty close to an optimum for an iron vortec style head. Unfortunately aluminum needs a thicker gasket to provide some sliding give to where the gasket doesn't erode the soft aluminum.

Bogie

Larry123 04-02-2012 02:06 PM

Thanks all, some answers to the questions: Yes I believe I have rebuilder pistons with stock deck height, deck clearance confirmed at .043. I did mis- state the DCR with the 64cc alum heads and .041 head gaskets I calc SCR = 9.3, DCR = 8.08, Quench = .084. Bogie may have the best (least cost solution) using 67cc vortec heads and .015 gasket with the same Lunati 60102 cam I get SCR = 9.5, DCR = 8.29, Quench = .058. I have not purchased heads or cam yet, I do have an old 64 vette 350 hp 327 alum manifold i was thinking of using, if i go with the vortec i will buy performer air gap. This is a street car and I will need to run pump gas, do you think the .058 quench will work ok with the vortec's at 8,29 DCR?

ap72 04-02-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry123
Thanks all, some answers to the questions: Yes I believe I have rebuilder pistons with stock deck height, deck clearance confirmed at .043. I did mis- state the DCR with the 64cc alum heads and .041 head gaskets I calc SCR = 9.3, DCR = 8.08, Quench = .084. Bogie may have the best (least cost solution) using 67cc vortec heads and .015 gasket with the same Lunati 60102 cam I get SCR = 9.5, DCR = 8.29, Quench = .058. I have not purchased heads or cam yet, I do have an old 64 vette 350 hp 327 alum manifold i was thinking of using, if i go with the vortec i will buy performer air gap. This is a street car and I will need to run pump gas, do you think the .058 quench will work ok with the vortec's at 8,29 DCR?

You can run just about any 64cc head and be fine with a .015" gasket, you're not on the edge.