will my 216 to 283 swap give me more top end speed? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

will my 216 to 283 swap give me more top end speed?

my 1951 3/4 ton chevy originally had a 216 6 cylinder thriftmaster. I bought it non running with a 283 already installed sometime in the 60S. the rest of the drivetrain is original.
I have rebuilt the 283 and reinstalled it and am now ordering a disc brake kit. my final goal will be to use the truck for light hauling/delivery/rolling advertisement for a small farm. as such i need it to be able to get up to highway speeds.

I know that originally it would have had a top speed of around 50 with the 216 my question is whether with the 283 i will be able to get more top end speed out of her or will i need to change the rear end or tranny?
If i am changing the rear end out for something with modern drums attached I want to know before i order a new master cyilinder/ brake booster.

thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

Your best bet will be changing the Rear out with something newer & highway friendly gears to keep the Revs down.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Your best bet will be changing the Rear out with something newer & highway friendly gears to keep the Revs down.
That or put in a 700R4 trans,or both.The 283 will take the higher RPM better than the six but without changing the rear gears or OD trans they will turn the same RPM at the same MPH.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

You could swap in a GM rear end with 3:08's a lot cheaper than a tranny or just get the ring and pinion changed. A 700R4, converter, lock up control, and different drive shaft will run the bill up pretty good. It would be nice though, if you have the bucks.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 PM

no bucks for the tranny and the rear job. so it looks like a rear end. roughly how much would a rear end with the drums attached set me back?
also anybody know what would fit a 3/4 ton AD? would like to find something 3/4 ton rated
thanks for the reply
Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM

missed the ring and pinion suggestion. if i understand right i could switch these parts on my stock rear end and get up to hiway speeds?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 AM

The stock rear end gears were either 4.57 or 5.14. there were in the early
60's lower numeric gears available that fit but hard to find now. The most popular swap for 8 bolt rears seems to be 3/4 ton vans- most seem to use
the same eaton rear- take a measuring tape and see what will fit.

The disk brake conversions are for 1/2 ton spindles- not 3/4 ton. Scarebird
was working on a 3/4 ton kit and was looking for someone to test it- I do not
know were he is in this process- you might want to check with him. Please
post results if you do. Jim
Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, those old pickups were geard really low in the rear end, to compensate for the lack of horsepower. If you get a measurement of the overall width of your rearend, from backing plate to backing plate, you will probably be able to find a rearend in the junk yard fairly cheap. I'm just guessing it might be out of a Monte Carlo. Cutlass, Chevelle or Nova - size of car, rather than a full-size. You don't need a heavy- duty unit, Just a higher ratio, like a 3.08 or 3.36 (ballpark).

You might have to move the spring perches, but that's not too big a deal.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If your truck still has the torque-tube driveline your options are a little limited. You could swap the gears out but finding a set for the truck rear end will be a problem and if you do find a set they will be expensive. Gears made for similar year cars will not fit although the rears do look the same, internally they are different.

Your other option would be to find a 1950 to 1954 Chevy car with a powerglide transmission. These cars had a 3:55 gear ratio and just swap the rear end. However you'll have to swap to the 5 lug wheels.

IMHO your best option would be to ditch the torque-tube and swap in a mid '70s Camaro or Firebird rear which will give you decent highway gearing. This may require you to swap the trans as well if you're still using the original stock transmission.

Now, if the torque-tube has already been swapped out and you have a normal driveshaft in place you can just swap to the mid '70s Camaro or Firebird rear and be done with it. They are almost exactly the correct width for your truck and will not require much work to install.

One note here... these trucks were geared really low NOT because of a lack of horsepower but because they were used as trucks on rural dirt roads where 40 mph was probably too fast. When these trucks came out freeways didn't even exist and most of them were used on farms and did their fair share of stump pulling. Thats something you can't easily do that with highway gears.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Gun Control: The theory that a man found in a dark alley in a pool of his own blood, beaten, strangled, and left for dead is somehow morally superior to a man explaining to police how his attacker got that fatal bullet wound. - Anonymous
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
One note here... these trucks were geared really low NOT because of a lack of horsepower but because they were used as trucks on rural dirt roads where 40 mph was probably too fast. When these trucks came out freeways didn't even exist and most of them were used on farms and did their fair share of stump pulling. Thats something you can't easily do that with highway gears.
You beat me to it, thanks.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 AM

Last photo:

To 3/4ton flathead,
You don't say where in Texas you're located, but For what it's worth, I have a 10 bolt rear end complete with brakes & drums from a '64 El Camino that I will donate to your project if you can use it. It has 3.08 gears in it.
I'm in the southwest Dallas area.
JA
Old 02-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnya
To 3/4ton flathead,
You don't say where in Texas you're located, but For what it's worth, I have a 10 bolt rear end complete with brakes & drums from a '64 El Camino that I will donate to your project if you can use it. It has 3.08 gears in it.
I'm in the southwest Dallas area.
JA
That rear should be just about the right width and a fairly easy swap. Just some minor work with new spring mounts.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Don't retreat.... just reload." - Sarah Palin
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM

3/4 ton's used a kind of hybrid driveshaft- an open rear end with a normal
u joint but the trans end was like a tourque tube setup to the middle
joint.The half tons were torque tube till 55. The 3/4 tons used 8 bolt wheels, if he puts in a car or light truck rear he will lose some capacity, which I read his original post to indicate was important to him.If he does not mind less capacity and puts 1/2 ton front axle to get disc brakes the suggested rears
would work. One other option would be to swap in an overdrive trans. Jim
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

If that's the case with the 3/4 ton (I'm familiar with the 1/2 ton) swapping in a new rear would be pretty easy. He could use a mid to late '60's GM pickup rear and not loose any utility, although he would probably have to use 6 lug wheels.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Remember, if you didn't put it together with your own hands, its not really yours." - Tim Allen
Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM

The 3/4 tons use different axles front and rear, strangly they use the
same front springs. Mine has 8 ply tires on 8 lug wheels, and the research
I have done has shown some front disk setups that were homebrewed but
no one makes a kit for 3/4 ton spindles. As I said earlier=Scarebird was working on one but as of the last email I recieved from him he had not gotten it tested by anyone yet. I would like to but my truck is buried in snow and probably will be for at least another couple of months.

If the OP is not looking to keep the original 5400 gvw then finding a 1/2 ton
front axle/spindles with a disc brake kit. and a matching rear would be an easy upgrade. Jim

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.