will my compressor keep up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 08:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

will my compressor keep up?

Im planning on painting my car but am wndering if my current compressor will keep up. puts out like nine cfm at 40psi. I plan on using a HVLP gun. I can probably get my hands on a bigger compressor but am trying to avoid that if possible. Im sure I could get away using mine for primer and just wait for it to catch up but for base and clear I dont want that **** happening.

Ty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

What color are you shooting? Maybe it could be sprayed in stages. I don't think it'll keep up to your gun when doing a complete. Bob
Old 04-05-2006, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

bullitt green or black jade.

I think ill do the primer in stages and see how it does and then from there see if i can borrow my bosses 80 gallon tank if I dont think the compressor will keep up.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Are you talking about a bigger compressor or an extra tank? A big tank does not make a big compressor and if that tank don't have a bigger compressor attached to it then it will in all probability do more harm than good. It will add surprisingly little extra time before running out of air and then you can go eat lunch while waiting for that small pump to recharge the thing. A bigger tank only changes the on /off cycle rate it don't help a compressor that is too small keep up with an air hungry tool such as a HVLP paint gun. If buying a new compressor is not an option then you will need to rent one, borrow one or do as badbob suggested and paint in stages.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:35 AM

Last photo:

I have read so many different compressor posts and it is amazing how many people want to do body and paint work with too small of compressor.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:42 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Web.... one problem these days is the way compressors are sold. Everyone starting out, knows that they need a compressor, and it is a big investment. So they go shopping for one. Go into Home Depot of Lowes and look at them. They have huge tanks sitting there. Guys always want bigger, but if they don't know what they are looking for, they are lost. A large tank, doesn't mean a bigger compressor capacity. They look at the tank, and it says 80 gallon/7 HP and they think they are really getting something. In actuality, if I could find a compressor that said 2gallon/1HP and 20CFM at 125 PSI, I would buy that one. The reality is that once someone buys a compressor, they are usually stuck with it for a while, even if it is too small for what they need.

Aaron
Old 04-06-2006, 05:30 AM

Last photo:

Well im gonna try primer with my compressor and see how it does. Four years ago when i bought my tank i had no plans to paint a car, so I thought a 30 gallon compressor that puts out 6.5cfm at 90psi and 8.5 at 40psi would be more the fine for my application. Im just going to prime the car in stage but Im going to borrow a compressor with a higher CFM raiting when it comes to laying down sealer, base, and clear.

thanks for the help,

Ty

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.