Will my compressor keep up with these guns? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 11:55 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Will my compressor keep up with these guns?

I asked this question in the tool section and only received one answer. Do any of you body work guys know if my compressor will supply these guns ok?

I am looking at buying a devilbiss HVLP paint gun starter kit. It has two guns in it one with a 1.3mm tip and another with a 1.8mm tip. The guns require 13 cfm at 30psi. There is another set that requires 8 cfm at 30 psi.

My craftsman compressor puts out 9.1scfm at 40 psi and 7.1 scfm at 90 psi. (25 gallon tank, 5 hp) Would my compressor put out enough air for the 13 cfm at 30 psi?

I will only be priming body parts as I do the body work on them. I will not be priming or painting the whole truck at one time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 05:14 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

You may be able to get by doing small areas, but I wouldn't bet on it. Unfortunately for you, that compressor ratings are probably higher than what it really puts out in the first place. I really doubt that you will find a gun that it can support for painting.

Aaron
Old 04-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

IF you can find a big tank (like a broken compressor) you can use it as storage and you will be able to get farther with the gun before you run out of air. Also, there are more efficient guns out there. Just make sure you don't only look at CFM, or you might end up with a touch-up gun!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

will do thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

I hate to disagree but adding a bigger tank is a waste of time and money, this is probably the most common mistake made when trying to make an underpowered compressor do something it is not big enough to do. If you go from a 25 gallon tank to 40 gallons you will gain only seconds extra "trigger" time using something as air hungry as that HVLP gun and then you will have to wait nearly twice as long for the tank to recharge so what have you gained? If you go to something as big as 60 gallons you will STILL run out of air in short order and then you can go for lunch while waiting on the tank to recharge! I have seen this tried many times over the years always with the same result and if you go too large (60 gallon to replace the 25) with a pump that small you will be even worse off than you are now due to the recharge times overworking the pump. Adding a bigger tank simply will not solve the problem
Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the info oldred
Old 04-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Look, oldred's wagging his finger at me!

I agree it's not really a good long term solution. I guess I assume most of these guys just want to work on their own car/truck and get'er done. Adding capacity WILL get you further around the vehicle before you need to stop, it can make the difference between making it all the way around or not, and that is the key, IMHO. If there is enough air built up to get around the vehicle, then waiting longer for air buildup is just extending the flash time a bit, which is usually an OK thing.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

Well I ordered this gun from harbor after getting some more info from another thread. I also ordered a 2.2mm tip so I could spray some 2k primer. We will see if my compressor can keep up!http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43430
Old 04-18-2006, 05:14 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

A 2.2 tip should put out plenty of primer. I have a gun with a 2.0 and it can spray like a garden hose, if I set up the air and fluid right. You will probably have to keep the fluid closed up most of the way with that one.

Aaron
Old 04-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Last photo:

I have a 2.2mm nozzle set for my 43430 HF gun, IMO it is too big for 2K K36 primer. I get better results from a 1.8mm nozzle set. The "P" sheet for PPG K36 recommends 1.4mm to 1.6mm

Vince
Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

Crash, I wasn't pointing at you, I was simply addressing a very common misunderstanding about the purpose of the tank on a compressor. I have tried to explain this many, many times over the years when someone would come into the shop and say "my compressor won't keep up how much will you charge to install a bigger tank"? This was usually on a service truck and meant for impact wrenches and the like but the principle is the same, going to a bigger tank than the pump is sized for is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE! If someone runs out of air while painting, especially with clear coat, a hell of a lot of material ($$$$$$) could be ruined and if your compressor will not spray an entire car then extra tank capacity probably will not finish the job and what will happen to the flash times while waiting for that thing to FINALLY catch up because the tank is too big? (only to start the cycle all over again) What my customers found out (yep I installed them if they insisted) was that they gained next to nothing in run time but gained a lot in waiting time. If a compressor is too small it is just that TOO SMALL and the added seconds of run time will be offset by the added recharge time. The bottom line is that something like that HF 43430 gun requires about twice the air that compressor is capable of and attempting to spray more than one part at a time is just asking for problems. Start out with a full tank and time how many seconds it takes that gun to bleed the pressure down to the "run" cycle and ask your self- would doubling that small amount of time be worth doubling the wait time", with this big of a mismatch the run time is going to be a lot less than the recharge time already. The only thing that matters is the ratio of the CFM produced vs the the CFM being consumed thus tank size will not help if the compressor is too small and to encourage this very common mistake, and it is a mistake, does no one any good IMO. I have seen this tried again and again and I have yet to see anyone satisfied with the results.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 AM

I've painted a lot of stuff with cheap ProTech guns and a 1.5 hp/3 gallon hot dog compressor. I've also used a decent Binks gun and the same hot dog compressor. The results were outstanding, even if the convenience sucked. It's not optimal... to say the least... but it can be done just fine.

The feed rate on your gun is adjustable and it's unlikely you will have it on max. Don't be affraid to shoot at the lower end of the pressure scale, as specified by the product you're using. The lower the pressure, the less overspray you'll have to breath in. Of course, make sure you have a good quality gauge on the gun and write down the pressure you are shooting at because pressure will affect color so if you ever have to touch something up, you need to use the same pressure.

I'm sure you guys are way sharper than I am but I've painted a lot of stuff over the years with pretty modest equipment. It's extremely doable, particularly if you're shooting one fender at a time. Keep a close eye on your pressure. If you need to shoot an entire car, go a little light on the accelerator (if you're shooting a 3 part like Imron). Select a clear with 40 minutes of pot life. You can easily shoot a car in 30 minutes, even with a 30% duty cycle.

I've never had the benefit of a decent paint booth so I make sure to get decent build so I can sand some of it back. You will get some contaminates in the paint when shooting in a garage with extended cure times. It's nice to cut the surface imperfections off with paper because it does a better job anyway.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

I think the question here was "will this compressor keep up with these guns?" I think the answer is quite clearly "no" if the gun is used for it's intended purpose. Can it be used anyway? Depends on what it might be used for since a HVLP gun is just that, High Volume, does it make real sense to try and choke it down to use low volume? Would it even work properly? The problem here seems to be that he wants to use a HVLP gun with an inadequate compressor and for his stated intentions of using it only for primer and then only on one part at a time this will probably work ok but to try and do an over-all paint with an air supply this low, by modifying air storage or trying to make the gun use far less air than it is designed to use, could be a recipe for failure. I have two of those 43430 guns and they are air hogs, after all they are "High Volume", the fact is those guns need a LOT of air to work right even to the point of needing larger freer flowing fittings and couplers and if the compressor is not up to the task in the first place the gun is simply not going to work right for more than just small jobs. That compressor may be fine for a conventional gun but for over-all I would think it maybe best to save the HVLP for when a bigger compressor might be available.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.