Will my home sewing maching sew ultraleather? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 11:30 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish
Wiki Edits: 0

Will my home sewing maching sew ultraleather?

Ok i have a singer sewing machine.. i dont have any faux leather here yet but i do have some cheap stereo installation grade vinyl. just to see what my machine was capable of i started sewing a few layers together.. well i was suprised but it sewed 3 layers good and 4 layers decent.. is ultraleather much tougher then this? or will this machine be alright.. its not really a cheap machine at all, but at the same time i dont feel its anything like an actual upholstery machine. however, i wont be using it for a career just hobby stuff on my own car interior..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

The vinyl typically isnt the problem. I use Ultraleather all the time, it is actually a better sew than the majority of vinyls out there. It is excellent to work with and is not tough on machines at all. But it is the stack up of materials (seam layers as well as plus pad thicknesses) that is the issue.

What is the model number of the singer you have and do you know if its a walking foot or a slipper foot?

The machine type most have in the home is called a slipper foot as the material just slips between the foot and the feed dog. Thats the little gooved peice that moves up and down and back and forth the foot on the top moves but only slightly to allow the material to "slip" between the gap.

The prefered machine is called a Walking foot. This is easy to identify as it has to feet attached to the top of the head. It basically walks in the manner a rabbit runs. The front moves and then the rear in a large orbit to basically pull the material through with the feed dog acting in the same fashion of a slipper foot.

When you sew an automotive cover you should be tack sewing (sewing close to the edge to hold material together befor final seam is sewn) top surface material (or laminating it with glue as KristKustoms does) to a piece of foam known as plus pad (foam layer bonded to skrim or backing). This material is anywhere from 1/4" to as much as 1" depending on what your doing for style.

This added thickness usually typically requires a walking foot machine.

They are fairly inexpensive (Singer 211 or Juki 563 are plentiful here in Detroit but you market could be different) if you get a used one. One thing I have found is that with a little leg work and a car club network you can usually buy one from someone in a club used and use it and usually unload for at worst a few bucks less than you bought (chaulking the loss up to cost of the interior) in a matter of months when your done (I humbly comment that I have never lost money on a machine but you never know). I have also for a few bucks sewed a persons cover together for them but that is always an adventure as the patterns never walk. If you belong to a club ask around to see if anyone has a machine that they want to either let you rent borrow or buy.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

I'd like to make a couple of suggestions.You may want to try a heavier needle and a heavier thread.You may also find a larger stitch works better as it won't cut through the ultra leather like a smaller stich may.I notch out where the two sides have to line up (just like following a dress pattern) I find that all vinyls tend to stretch a bit and you don't want to have to sew it a second time while trying to hide the perforations from the first time.If you do plan on using any piping your zipper foot will work for that.
I'd love to see some pics when you're done.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:26 PM

Last journal entry: metal finish

Well i dont think i will be doing any seat covers myself but maybe other interior parts. ill post pics when i get going..
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

The Singer 111W and its clones are the way to go
Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

If all you want to do is sew two pieces of Ultraleather together, you can do it with a home sewing machine. Creative Interiors is right, the problem is if you're trying to sew multiple layers of fabric plus sew foam together. A home machine will struggle in that situation.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.