will my stock connecting rods work? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

so not having to worry about the distributor saves me money the timing set was only 60$ plus i matched it to the cam all it is really is a double roller with better sprockets than the 40$ one so im just gonna get the engine 0.030 over with new pistons and leave my heads alone just get them cleaned up and put new valve springs and stems in

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldslover View Post
so not having to worry about the distributor saves me money the timing set was only 60$ plus i matched it to the cam all it is really is a double roller with better sprockets than the 40$ one so im just gonna get the engine 0.030 over with new pistons and leave my heads alone just get them cleaned up and put new valve springs and stems in
make damn sure you get a good module- MOST modules are NOT good modules. Even a lot of the performance aftermarket ones are pretty crappy. Go with a BWD Select or a Delco or a DUI module.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM

ap72 i thought my stock distributor would work fine or just get a more improved one?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Olds made a good distributor.

There was a time when parts counter employees would let friends return a purchased part for the refund. They would return the old one and keep the new. The next person getting the returned part would have a bad experience. This happened liberally with starters, pumps, alts, modules, etc at major parts suppliers. It accounts for most of these kinds of stories.

Most modules I found are fine, a alternate opinion from AP.

For instance- When Kmart downsized the auto section I grabbed every clearanced ignition module on the hangers. I checked and verified each one was good.

MOST is more than the half. If a company produced anything where only half were good. They would have a hard time capturing a market.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Olds made a good distributor.

There was a time when parts counter employees would let friends return a purchased part for the refund. They would return the old one and keep the new. The next person getting the returned part would have a bad experience. This happened liberally with starters, pumps, alts, modules, etc at major parts suppliers. It accounts for most of these kinds of stories.

Most modules I found are fine, a alternate opinion from AP.

For instance- When Kmart downsized the auto section I grabbed every clearanced ignition module on the hangers. I checked and verified each one was good.

MOST is more than the half. If a company produced anything where only half were good. They would have a hard time capturing a market.

Most in this case is probably over 75%. And plenty of brand new bad modules will "test" fine. The problem is that the circuitry is all there but it is dirty or inferior- it'll check fine with a multi meter and it'll even start and run fine but you'll have inconsistent dwell and God help you if you have a sensitive tachometer.

All of these bad modules will "work fine" but when you swap to a good one you'll pick up power, have a cleaner idle, and slightly improve your mileage.

This problem is very well known to people that rely on sensitive electronic signals for tuning- its more apparent when you're running EFI and can monitor all of this stuff in real time on a running engine.

Most people blame this on inferior material and manufacturing control in foreign countries.

The general consensus is that DUI is the best but a Delco or BWD Select is adequate.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldslover View Post
ap72 i thought my stock distributor would work fine or just get a more improved one?
a distributor is NOT a module, a module can be mounted in a distributor but it is a separate part. Most new and re-manufactured distributors come with modules though.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

So how many horsepower did you get from swapping from a good accel 4 pin to a good delco 4 pin? This should be good.

I not only tested them with a meter, I ran them.

Not that accel is a favorite of mine, but lets be fair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yayo8765.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	73281  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
So how many horsepower did you get from swapping from a good accel 4 pin to a good delco 4 pin? This should be good.

I not only tested them with a meter, I ran them.

Not that accel is a favorite of mine, but lets be fair.
Funny you picked Accel- one of the brands with a horrific record for quality. I bought an Accel Module once, about 11 years ago. Wasn't dumb enough to ever do it again. I did buy a factory replacement module from Advance auto though, and while it ran the signal was filthy, went through 4 of them looking for a clean signal (something that you cannot test with an ohm meter or by simply "running it"), finally gave up and bought 1 BWD Select. Problem solved. Ever since then I only buy BWD Select as I am too cheap to buy DUI.

There's a big difference between "good" and "good enough" you can go with an Accel or other poorly made module and it may be "good enough" for the engine to run, switch to a good module and you'll see some gains.

For the extra $15 buy the right part the first time.

You're argument for "it works" can be applied to any engine part, be it oil, pistons, cams, heads, etc. MOST poorly made parts are at least good enough for it to run- it does not mean they are good parts.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

When you make a claim , it is important to support it.

The last post sounds like nonsense.

I have heard these rumors, and others of all sorts.

Have you ever put a O-scope on the tach signal output of a GM HEI and compare it to a MSD box rpm output? We played with the o scopes extensively in school years ago. I should make a comparison video with my phone. MSD signal to GMhei showing the square wave. Unfortuneatly YOU are making the claim that something is dirty or something. Show me. You also said something about not being able to test for it, because it will run fine.

If the 4-pin module was bad in the past. I got a new one in sealed packaging , and replace the failed component.

If you had rpm signal problems it doesn't mean it was the 4-pin. There are a few reasons for noise in the rpm signal. There is even a signal conditioner offered by a few companies.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
When you make a claim , it is important to support it.

The last post sounds like nonsense.
I could say that about all the jibberish you've been saying lately.

As for my proof, you're more than welcome to check Google or forums, of the forums that I visit where this has been discussed there is this one, speedtalk, yellowbullet, and a few various megasquirt forums, I think it may have been mentioned on hybriz.org too.

So if you want a second opinion there are plenty of other people out there who will also tell you that you are mistaken.

TO THE OP: instead of worrying about any of this just go down to your local Oriely's and pick up a BWD Select module and be done with it, there really isn't much of a cost difference, maybe $20.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

For me to have a 100% success rate with the worst brand , Accel, might speak volumes to someone. I try to include pictures of things that I have or done to lend credibility to my remark. You should try that.

The 75% Failure rate you suggest is not believable. (I would agree with a realistic figure.)

Believable, to me at least. There are probably some people that you can scare, but whatever.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.