Hot Rod Forum banner

Will oil pan seal with one broken oil pan bolt?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 ·
I know this topic has been covered, but I did a search and can't find an answer specific to my question. I have a SBC with one oil pan bolt in center of one long side that has a broken easy out, and I've given up trying to get it out. This is a budget build, mild 327. I have a new stock steel oil pan that I will be using. If I bridge the broken bolt hole with a reinforcment plate made of, say 3/16" steel, that fits on top of the pan rail, will this be enough to keep it from leaking? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

#3 ·
Dougie said:
I know this topic has been covered, but I did a search and can't find an answer specific to my question. I have a SBC with one oil pan bolt in center of one long side that has a broken easy out, and I've given up trying to get it out. This is a budget build, mild 327. I have a new stock steel oil pan that I will be using. If I bridge the broken bolt hole with a reinforcment plate made of, say 3/16" steel, that fits on top of the pan rail, will this be enough to keep it from leaking? Any other thoughts? Thanks.
It should be OK. It it weeps you can get the hold down clamps used for rocker cover leaks, trim a couple to fit and use the good adjacent bolts to clamp some reinforcement over the broken bolt area.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.