will this parts combo work well together (chevy 307) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

will this parts combo work well together (chevy 307)

I have a 89 camaro with a 1970 307 in it. The motor is all stock even down to the small 2g 2bbl carb and has low miles on it. Only mod to the motor is a hei distributor. It runs pretty good but I want to hop it up a bit and get rid of some issues with running the older 307 at the same time. Being from the 70s as far as I know the heads have non hardened valve seats in them which are no good for unleaded gas. I also know 307s and most small blocks from this era are know for having cams in them that go flat. That said I plan on upgrading the heads and cam for more power and reliability.

The car the motor is in has a th350 trans and 3.42 gears. It also has shorty headers and a 3" ypipe. Goals for the car are reliability and decent mileage. For power I don't really have a power goal in mind but I would like to take it to the local drag strip on occasion and would like it to run mid 14s if possible.

With all that said here are my plans for upgrades. For heads I have a set of 601 305 heads that I want to do a port clean up on and use. I also have a couple different carbs and intakes to choose from. I have a eldy performer 1405 and regular performer intake as well as a vintage offy 360 and holley 600vs carb. I was leaning towards using the offy intake and holley but after doing some research I learned the divided single plane might not be good for street use. So I guess I will use the eldy intake and carb.

This brings me to cam choice and the only thing I will need to buy for this build. After reading other posts and researching some I have 2 cams to pick from depending on my budget come build time. They are the summit 1103 and the Lunati 60100.

So I guess the main question is, how well will these parts work together for a street/ occasional strip car? Again im not looking to build a rocket ship just something fun to drive on the street. And before everyone says to just put a 350 in it I had one in it before but the timing chain went out on it so I put this 307 in. If I find a better job I also have a 400 sitting on a stand in the garage I could build when I get tired of the 307

stock 307 bottom end
home ported 601 heads
eldy performer intake and 1405 carb
summit 1103 or Lunati 60100 cam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The first thing I would do is get rid of that flex fan and throw it in the trash where it belongs. That fan alone is eating 20 horses. Go ahead with your plan to add the 305 heads. Those heads will raise the compression ratio up to the 9.5:1 range right where it needs to be. I would use the performer intake, You can use the Eddy carb but If it were I, I would use a Quadrajet. The Lunati Voodoo cam will work nicely. Throw a double roller timing chain on with it.
With a bowl port job and the parts layout the little 307 will come alive.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

Yea, I know the fan is crap but its only temporary. The electric fan died and I just stuck that one on there till I get a chance to replace it. As for the qjet I know they are good carbs but I have never had good luck with them, they always liked to flood out. I know it is probably due to the fact that all the ones I have tried have sat around in the junkyard or on a shelve for a while before I got to them. I may pick one up, rebuild it and give it a try but for now I will stick with a holley or edlebrock.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
ericehsbrown

sounds like you have a good bit of work ahead of you. very cool. If i were putting all the time and effort into the engine work. . . I would get that 400 going. Drive the car as is for now and get that 400 cleaned up and ready. you can work right off the engine stand. Put the cam into the 400. the intake and bolt on stuff will work on it. That 400 is a awesome engine. I am running a 400 and it is a nasty small block. all the engines you are working with are small blocks and will bolt into the same place and use the same parts. displacement displacement displacement. What are the three D's in hotrodding? lol Displacement!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Add 1.94 intake vales after you finish porting your heads.
The chamber volume of those heads varies and will get larger if you add larger valves. ( chamber sweep)
CC the chambers (after the valves are done) and flat mill the heads as required to get your cr up as close to 10:1 as possible. Install with a felpro 1094 shim style gasket.
getting the cr right is critical.

Get some summit valve springs for your new cam. (kit= springs+retainers+locks +seals)
the summit 1103 cam will work best with a high stall converter
for your 307 . a 10" "3500 stall" will get you a true 3000 stall behind the little 307. Just right. when you buy a converter, order a "3500 stall".
small cid motor ='s lower real converter stall.

anytime you cam a small cid motor it will want all the converter you can throw at it.

The lunati cam will like the converter too.
both will like the increased compression (milled heads+ shim gasket)
Much better for the drags.
the performer manifold is the better of the two.
Find yourself a used performer rpm manifold.
get the complete GM clutch fan , flat style belt and fan belt pulleys
from a 86ish F body car w/ carbed 305 from your local wreckers.

Fab up a 2 into 1 exhaust system with a flowmaster Y250350 Y pipe.
2.5" main pipes 3.5" muffler and exhaust. Magnaflow muffler (3.5" in out)
Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

The 400 is going in the car eventually but it will need a full rebuild first. It has a ton of miles on it and it was running hot when my dad finally pulled it out of his truck. He used it for many years to pull his dirt purestock car.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

check the block for cracks in the decks first. Ditch the stock 400 heads.
use the 400 crank and 350 5.7 rods.
The 3500 stall and exhaust mods are just right for the future 400.
the 400 will not run hot once rebuilt.
get a new stock gm rad.and the clutch fan
Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

F-BIRD'88: If the heads need any work done I had planed on getting the bigger valves put in. Which spring kit do I need? the 174000 or 1740001? Thanks for the recommendations on stall I was kinda lost there. For the exhaust the car has a flowmaster 3" cat back on it and 3"y that matches my headers. If i make any changes to the exhaust it would be to add long tubes in place of the shorties.

Guess I should not have mentioned the 400 right now, that build is a ways off as I want to save up enough money to do it right.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM

I think any amount of $ you put into the 307 is a waste in the LONG RUN. Why not just spend it on a low milage, stock, roller 350 with a carb? Maybe $500 that way as opposed to more than that in just say, refurbing 305 heads. Put the real money into the 400 as time and money permits.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

I may just do that with a roller 350. The things I want to do to the 307 are more for reliably then performance. I wanted to replace the cam before it goes flat and takes the rest of the motor with it and I wanted to replace the heads with some with hardened seats for unleaded gas. The more I think about it you may be right, for all the more I drive the car right now I think it will be fine the way it is. I can just save any money I was going to put in the 307 and use it for ether a roller 350 or parts to build up the 400.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

do the 400. way better than any 350.

just mag check the block first. The 400sbc is the way to go.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
ericehsbrown

I totally agree. any money you put into the 307 is a waist. it costs the same to build the 307 as it will to build the 400. summit has a total engine kit for around $100. as far as reliability. . . the 400 or the 350 will be about the same. all chevy small blocks are reliable as long as they are put together well. I totally understand feeling overwhelmed by the cost and labor of a engine rebuild. But its not as bad as you may think. Call your local machine shop and ask them what it will cost you to have some rods turned and some heads decked. then call summit and ask how much the gaskets will be. this will give you a idea of cost. Make a good parts list and began buying parts as you have the money. when you have all the parts ready>...then build the engine. One step at a time. The key to a good build is planning. Plan out what you want your end results to be and work towards that. Plann it all out. Engine parts and related parts. The converter is a good point. you can drop 10,000$ is an engine but if it boggs down at the line it is going to be a slug. you will need oil , antifreez, zip ties, wire looms, etc.etc. take the time to plan it out. Its worth your time. make a good list of everything you need. So. I would really like to say again the 307 is not worth the time. If your going for gas milage. . . keep your foot out of it. dont drive it like you stole it. . .drive it like you own it.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

for either of those mild cams the SUM-174001 installed at 1.70" is fine.

the other spring is more agressive and allows more lift and installs at 1.75"

retainer bottom to guide boss top ( seal) should be checked.

1.6 rockers require minor pushrod slot in the head grinding for pushrod to slot clearance. I do it by hand with a 3/8" rat tail file in a drill.
grind it about .030" longer toward the rocker stud, not wider.

a 1.6 intake rocker helps these a bit once ported heads. (more intake valve lift, with short intake duration) 1.5 exhaust is fine.

1.6in 1.5ex rocker set.

some of the 601 heads have real tiny valves. You want 1.84x 1.50 minimum
The 1.72x 1.4 267cid motor valves version is not going to cut it on a 307.

1.94 x 1.50 best. on your 307 The 601 heads needs a bit of chamber deshrouding towards the spark plug when going to larger valves.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-28-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry I derailed my own thread with all the 400 talk. I will have to see what my budget is come summer time to see which direction I take.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

i think the 307 would be a great build you cant really find them any more or at least from where im from if i could i would get rid of the 350 i have in my nova for a really hopped up 307 283 or even a 305 i say a 307 is a good way to go 1st mileage 2nd reliability the 400's always had some kind of coolant problem due to the lack of flow of coolant between cylinders and if they get bored you got to watch it due to thin cylinder walls so i say 307 all the way you can get pretty good power and wont have to worry about the cylinder walls cracking under pressure

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.