Will this be a problem for my electrical system? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 10:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Will this be a problem for my electrical system?

Hello all. I have poked around and seen different answers to this question, and some say its fine, some say not. I just finished building an on board air compressor for my truck to run my big rig air horn, power tools on occasion, and fill air mattresses and rafts when camping. It is built from a York air conditioning compressor, and is run by a 2.5hp winch motor. I know I could have run it off of the motor, but I didnt want to clutter things up under the hood because this truck is going to be funtional, as well as a hod rod. Well, anyway, the compressor is mounted in my truck box in the bed, and is fed by #2 welding cable 18 feet long. The compressor pulls 224 amps peak at 100psi. Is this being run 5-6 times a week, for 45seconds filling the air tank going to be a problem? I have an optima red top battery, a 115 amp 1 wire alternator, and I am running electric fans. The voltage at the battery when it is at peak load drops to 12.3 volts and when it shuts off it goes right back up to 13.6 or more. I just wonder if I am going to cook my alternator. I may need to do what I did to cars where I used to work at the stereo shop, dual batts and maybe a bigger, or a second alternator to make this reliable.

Thanks for the input!!

PS I have been meaning to post a pic of the supercharged motor that everyone helped with input on the build, so here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 107.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	3895  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Last photo:

Last edited by 302/Z28; 02-09-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:38 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

more power!

I would install a second battery.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Thats what I figured also. Well, time for a optima yellow top!
Old 02-13-2005, 10:12 PM

Alternator selection

I registered to make this post. If the picture that you posted is the picture also of the alternator in use, you need to make a change with the alternator first off, that unit is the 12SI Delco Remy available in stock units of 66, 72, 85 and 94 amps, no 115 available stock, what I have seen on my test bench from rebuilding is, whenever you up the amperage of stock units you loose amperage at the idle speed, the only way to get the 115 out of this unit is to rev the daylites out of your engine, I would imagine at an idle with that 115 amp unit you get maybe 20 amps max, the Cadillac Deville, Seville, Eldorado '93-'97 unit is rated at 145 amps with heated windshield, add the 21SI big truck 165 amp stator assembly and you have a unit that powers out 90 plus amps at an idle, also add the 411HD regulator and get rid of the thermal compensation regulator from factory and you have a killer alternator that charges 14 volts at all times, no matter how hot it gets outside or under the hood. If you keep the 411HD regulator, just hookup the center wire of the small wires of the regulator plug to an idiot light circuit or a powering circuit with a diode installed to turn on the regulator when the engine is fired up, very simple wiring change, also upgrade your output wire from the alternator to the battery, a second battery could be added to keep electrical amperage higher in the battery system, will also be easier on the batteries to keep from warping the plates. There is also a regulator that can be installed in this unit to make it a one wire also, I have not used it yet and I don't know about the thermal compensation issue for that regulator, but I know it is available. This alternator is about 10mm higher from pivot mount to adjust mount hole, also the adjust mount hole is a 10mm x 1.5, 12SI is 8 mm. Pulley also is a direct changeover. Hope this helps, Broken Wire

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.