Hot Rod Forum banner

Will this radiator hose leak?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  55 Tony 
#1 ·
I had to go with a flexible stainless steel lower rad hose on the roadster (way too expensive)! The hose I.D. is 1-1/4" and the O.D. is 1-1/2". The rad lower inlet tube is 1/1-4" and the water pump is 1-1/2". There's no flexibility on the metal rad hose at all so neither end slides over the rad inlet tube or water pump outlet. They just butt up against the ends. The hose kit came with rubber connectors (see pic). I plan to use T-bolt clamps instead of the cheap hose clamps that came with it.
My question is, since the hose doesn't slide over the tubes.........will it leak?
What say yee?

See less See more
#7 ·
I just got back from the local 'Billetproof' and saw a dozen rods with these hoses. They all butted up against the outlets and I didn't hear any complaints from the owners. Apparently, they're designed to do just that. I will replace the hose clamps with T-bolt clamps. They should do the job. I needed the funky configuration to clear the lower alt bracket and serp belt.

#8 ·
An easier way to hook up would be to use an aluminum tube with a 90 degree bend. Use a silicone or rubber hose connection to both the rad and pump. Just make sure the aluminum tube has a bead near the end for the hose clamp.
I don't like using corrugated hose due to flow restrictions. Water flowing thru a smooth tube will flow better than having to flow over ripples in a tube.

#10 · (Edited)
I've used that type and had pretty good luck, but didn't really like the looks. It was just a quick way to get the car running. The original hose kits like that seemed to be a higher quality than what I have seen lately. The hose sections were fitted much better to the stainless section. The ones I've looked at lately look like cheapo knock offs.

When I run into a situation that requires bends that are impractical with regular radiator hose, I use steel or stainless mandrel bends to make up a hardline with hose retention beads on the ends. I use short pieces of silicone radiator hose to hook it up to the radiator and water pump.

#12 ·
I tried those flex metal hoses and finally threw them in the trash. The sealed the first time but I bumped one and it started leaking. I could not get it to stop so yanked them off and trash canned them. I have seen more failures than successes and like was mentioned above I didn't like the corrugations impeding the flow of water.. :cool:

#14 ·
I see no reason why it would leak, except the hard bend to the radiator would probably strain the rubber end. And since it hasn't leaked, I suppose the end of the bottom hose is straight before it connects to the radiator. It's not as if the ridges are spiral, I'd compare them to rounded barbs. Like the the way the radiator in and outlets have a rounded ridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.