Hot Rod Forum banner

Will the real Doug Thorley please stand up

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  lakeroadster 
#1 ·
Which "Doug" is the better Doug? Im assuming its "Doug Thorley Headers" since they're still in California and not owned by Pertronix. Is Doug even around anymore or has he left the party? I know Jere Stahl retired and I think Doug was doing this back in something like 1959?

#3 · (Edited)
At this point in time most of our favorite speed shop part suppliers have been gobbled up by other corporations.... It seems nothing is as it appears anymore.

Perhaps this will help?

https://m.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=492477837461275&_ft_=fbid.492477837461275

Doug Thorley Headers
Summit Industries has been manufacturing quality aftermarket motorcycle and automotive products under the names of Jardine Performance Products, and Doug Thorley Headers, for over 50 years. With our in house Research & Development department, we are able to design and fabricate anything we, or our customers, can envision. We can then accurately reproduce anything in our state of the art manufacturing facility utilizing CNC machining centers, CNC mandrel tube benders, our MIG & TIG welding artists, etc. With our ability to manufacture large assemblies mostly in house we can assure that products are built correctly and to our exceeding quality standards.

I bought some Summit Industries "Thorley Headers", Tri-Y's, for my stock '69 Camaro in 2007. I had to persuade the No. 1 header tube with a BFH to clear the steering box. Other than that they fit well, cleared the stock Z-bar and associated linkages.

I've grown used to modifying parts to get them to fit. But it would seem logical, at least to me, that if you build headers for a '69 Camaro, that hasn't been altered, they should fit right out of the box?

Doug's Headers
About Doug's Headers

Doug’s Headers is the newest addition to the PerTronix exhaust division, which began with the acquisition of Ermie Immerso Enterprises in August 2000.​

#5 ·
My friend was one of Doug's 1st employees, worked in the "pit" building custom systems. They used to fight over who would get to back the race cars out of the shop bays in the morning. Here's a pic, he said famous cars like this were there getting headers built pretty much every day!

I think he said that when Doug and his wife split, there basically became two different header businesses using the "Doug" name. I believe both were sold and still using the Doug names. Last I heard, Doug was somewhere in Mexico on his fishing boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.