Will Sears 1.5HP 12-gallon compressor work for HVLP gun? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Will Sears 1.5HP 12-gallon compressor work for HVLP gun?

I've been searching and I'm not finding the answers I need.
I am trying to do some body work on my 98 Camaro. I'm new to painting and have been looking to buy a HVLP gun(s). First I have a compressor which is not great for this but I would really like to not buy a new compressor. It is a Sears Craftsman 1.5HP 12 Gallon compressor. 4.7 scfm @ 40PSI and 3.3 scfm @ 90PSI. I've read about the Harbor Freight models (but I'm not able to find the same item numbers you speak of on here) being good, but I'm not sure it will work with my compressor. I've also been looking at this CLICKY from Home Depot. This seems to be closer to my cfm requirements. Also what are these LVLP guns? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, I'm by no means looking for professional results. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

In a nutshell, you don't have enough compressor for any gun that's suitable for overall paint work. Also, actual air output will be a bit less than the stated amount for most compressors, which hampers you even further. To make matters even worse, most of the cheap guns on the market will require more than their stated cfm to get a decent pattern, if in fact they are able to spray a good pattern at all.

I've got a pretty wide collection of compressors, from one of those carry around buzz bombs that'll barely run a brad nailer up to a 1600 cfm monster. Among them is a 30 yr old Sears compressor with a legitimate 3 hp motor and 20 gal tank. I've painted a few cars with it in the past, using a DeVilbiss JGA, and its output is about the minimum you can get away with on that gun. About 10 cfm IIRC. Never have tried that compressor with an HVLP gun, but I'd suspect if it would produce enough air, it would be just barely enough, and that would be only for some of the higher quality guns with more efficient use of air.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 PM

That's what I was afraid of. Now another question would it be a bad idea to tie two compressors together or just go out and buy one that can run the gun on it's own? Any somewhat cheap compressors out there you guys recommend.

Or how about any spray guns that are not HVLP that could work with my compressor?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

A conventional gun like one of the "Binks" import copies will work.
Astro makes one for under $50.00 and it sprays as good as
most HVLP's out there.
I used one for years with a 1HP compressor.
They pull much less CFM and you can run them at less PSI
than recommended and they still spray good, which
will make it use even less CFM. I sprayed at about 30 to 35 PSI
and my compressor kept up just fine.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20APAS7SP.htm
Old 08-01-2010, 08:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I painted several cars with a Sears 1Hp, 12 gallon compressor with cheapy conventional guns. That old compressor is still use occasionally but not for painting as my guns are HVLP and require more SCFM. What concerns me now with the small compressors is "Duty Cycle" and "Rated Hp". That duty cycle might be 50% or less. That is, the motor and compressor will only work 30 minutes out of 60 before 'something' happens. It could just shut down until it cools or worse. Now, Rated Hp - the nameplate on the motor will generally not tell you all that you need to know, but that motor might be 1 Hp for a selected period of time and is directly related to tha duty cycle. The old Sears compressors like mine had BIG 100% duty cycle motors. The new - I doubt it. To relate the motor info - I had a compressor between the old Sears and the one I have now. It was rated at 6Hp/220Volts. I pulled the nameplate data and sent it to a friend at GE Motors (I retired from GE) and he pulled the manufacturing info for that actual motor. It was 1.5Hp, not 6. Yes, it might produce 6Hp, but not for long. That compressor went back to the distributor and my $$ was returned - false advertising. Compressors now all say 'rated Hp'.

Do your research and purchase wisely with the information you learn.

Dave W
Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

I have been working with a guy on phone for last two weeks that has a 2HP in same compressor,
A knock off gun of some sort, he is using diamont base, that is good as it does not take much pressure to spray and it is just torch red, he is using Limco clear, forget the number but it is a low-medium solid spot repair clear and that helps some.

First that compressor is a water generator and that little $2.00 (manufacture cost) separator that comes with it is not going to cut the mustard.

Here is what we found that is now working, one panel at a time, spray base, let compressor build and rest for one hour with a stream of water running from a hose, ducked taped to tank of compressor.

He then has just enough air to do two coats of clear.

Wasting a lot of material doing panel or two a day but it was not working when he first called.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK

First that compressor is a water generator and that little $2.00 (manufacture cost) separator that comes with it is not going to cut the mustard.
Barry - I wasn't even going to get into the condensation part. That's grist for a whole new thread (or a search for how others 'fixed' theirs). That little filter "might" capture oil carryover.

I used a big fan on the tank, ran a hose from the compressor into a garbage can of cold water then the air went to my 50' of sloped away from the outlet copper line and then used 2 separators at the far end plus had valves after 90* turns to drain any water left to keep mine clear of water.

Dave W
Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
All I know is, back in the lacquer days with a good old Devilbiss JGA502 I bought my first home earning the money with a 2hp 20gallon tank Sears compressor.

Today, you are pushing it, even with the conventional gun. But it can be done, it can be done.

Brian
Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

I've tried big compressors and small. Today I use two diaphram types... about 5-6HP w/30 gallon tanks... and also tied in a 30 gallon spare tank.

The advantage is that If one "croaks", it does not shut me completely down, and I can replace one for only $300-$400, depending on the sales running at the time. I usually buy Craftsman brand.

This arrangement maintains the air for most overall sprayouts, but is borderline for big vehicles and constant air tool use. I use this for all gun types, plus a remote air mask.

Concerning the mask...I have had many tell me to buy a special compressor, but with the diaphram compressors, it is my understanding that they don't produce carbondioxide, like the oil type.

I've been doing this for about 15 years now.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Wow thanks for the help. The compressor is an older compressor, I'd say at least 10 to 12 years old.

I was thinking of doing panel by panel, my car is black and I've heard that spraying panel by panel is best with black. I don't know if that is true but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Keep the reply's coming. I'm learning.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

When I first started painting, my dad had a little 1 hp campbell hausfield compressor. I had a cheap craftmen conventional gun, and think its air requirements were pretty low, certainly lower then most hvlp guns your going to find.
Compressor really struggled to keep up, and that was only painting a small aluminum boat, and I think I ended up blowing up the compressor, having it running all the time and so hot, cause all it would then do is buzz when you turned it on. I don't see how you could do a good job painting a full car with one.
Later on, I bought a 3 hp 20 gal at sears, about the biggest I could find at that time that ran on 110. I painted a few cars with this with cheaper conventional guns, and it did okay, but would have to let it catch up a little while spraying.

Now I have a dual stage 220, 7hp (so they say) upright with an 80 gallon tank. This does well with my iwata lvlp. My accuspray hvlp struggles a little, but think I really need a better regulator for it too, should have a high flow. It does good with most things, cept blasting is slow, and struggles some with my 8 inch orbital.

As far as hooking together compressors, not sure how you go about it, but I ended up giving that 3 hp compressor to my friends dad, who was a mechanic, for helping work on a car of mine. Something with the switch went bad so it would keep running if you didn't shut it off, and I guy from tech school I painted a Ventura for left it running when he aired up his tire, and it kept running, and I never ended up going back out to the garage and checking it. My friends dad fixed it and hooked it up with the compressor he had. I painted that friends boat, and used the compressors. Never ran out of air. Not sure it would pay with a little 1 hp, I'd probaly just purchase a bigger one, that meets the air requirements of the gun you plan on using.

Seems you can never have enough compressor doing this work, and the biggest you can afford and are able to run would be a good investment if you plan to continue doing it.
Most of us probably have been in your shoes at one time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.