will th350 bolt in place of 4l60e? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 06:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

will th350 bolt in place of 4l60e?

I have a 2003 4.3 I'm putting in a Toyota. I've been planning to use a th350, but recently read the crank depth changed on those engines in 2001 and the matching trannies have a deeper bellhousing and different torque converter. I haven't found any specifics about the differences beyond that.

I know the pre-2001 4.3 will fit a th350 just fine. Is it possible to put a th350 behind this engine? If so, do I need any special adapters or parts? I measured the removable bellhousing on a 2003 Astro and a 1998 S-Blazer today and they appeared to be the same depth (~6 3/8") based on my somewhat crude measurements under vehicles in the mud and snow.

thanks!
David

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

look at each input shaft of these 4l60e trans.

is there a polished end with O-ring on each input shaft?

Or does one input shaft have splines at the end with O-ring behind the spline area?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't have access to the input shafts of the 4l60e trans, the ones I looked at in the scrap yard are still bolted to the engines.

What is the difference other than the location of the o-ring? Is one behind a deeper bellhousing than the other? Are the shafts the same length or different? It seems like if the crank depth was changed to require a deeper bellhousing then it is unlikely the shallower bellhousing of a th350 would allow the input shaft and torque converter to fit. But if the 4l60 with the deeper bellhousing has a longer input shaft, too, then maybe the th350 fits fine?

Dealing with auto trannies is new to me, so I appreciate any help on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
look at each input shaft of these 4l60e trans.

is there a polished end with O-ring on each input shaft?

Or does one input shaft have splines at the end with O-ring behind the spline area?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

ON the shaft with splines at the end of the input shaft;

the bell is deeper, converter different, input shaft longer, pump stator shaft longer too... than the earlier design 4L60e.

Look at the bell housing.. top of it. Is there a hole at the the peak of the bell?

If your 4.3 is set up for the late design 4L60e trans as described above... then you need a crank to converter spacer and flywheel set up to bolt onto the early converter design t-350.

early trans design bolted to a LS series V8 engine uses the same set up with crank spacer and modified flywheel.

I do not work with 4.3 six cylinder engines, so I am shootin from the hip here
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Can you point me somewhere to follow up on the crank to converter spacer and flywheel modification you mention? I read that somewhere, but haven't been able to find it again.

I'll go to the yard tomorrow and look at the bellhousing. Do you mean a bolt hole at the peak of the bellhousing? I understand there are 2 different bellhousings for the 4l60e--is one for the older v8s and 4.3s and one for the gen III V8s (and maybe the 2001+ 4.3s?)?

I have wondered if they changed the crankshaft depth so that it would use the same parts as the LSx engines, but no confirmation on that. It seems to me that if the bellhousing is deeper, that would imply the crankshaft depth was moved away from the engine. But if it moved it that way, it seems like a spacer would not allow the torque converter to fit in a shallower bellhousing. Maybe the crank depth actually went closer to the engine, but the torque converter and other parts are all deeper, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
ON the shaft with splines at the end of the input shaft;

the bell is deeper, converter different, input shaft longer, pump stator shaft longer too... than the earlier design 4L60e.

Look at the bell housing.. top of it. Is there a hole at the the peak of the bell?

If your 4.3 is set up for the late design 4L60e trans as described above... then you need a crank to converter spacer and flywheel set up to bolt onto the early converter design t-350.

early trans design bolted to a LS series V8 engine uses the same set up with crank spacer and modified flywheel.

I do not work with 4.3 six cylinder engines, so I am shootin from the hip here
Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Summit Race has the crank spacer

clik here

Look around Summit for additional parts.

Probably additional help on the LS1 forums or Camaro - Firebird forums some where. I have no links for that
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 AM

I measured from the crank flange to the bellhousing flange on a pre-2001 4.3 and measured roughly 11/16" and tonight measured the same on my 2003 4.3 and measured roughly 9/16". It seems like about a 1/8" spacer would be appropriate, if my measurements are close.

I'll do some more searching on the spacer application. I thought it was on the LS1 forum, but I haven't found it again, yet. Does it use a stock flexplate, a modified stock flexplate, or a custom aftermarket flexplate?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:05 PM

no bolt at the peak of the bell.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM

the spacer for the LS1 is a 0.400" spacer. According to one article, the crank flange is approximately inline with the bellhousing flange on the LSx engines. The spacer would put it at 0.400" aft of the bellhousing flange. On my engine, the crank flange is approximately 0.56" and the older 4.3 would be approximately 0.78". I'm still at a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycruisers
I measured from the crank flange to the bellhousing flange on a pre-2001 4.3 and measured roughly 11/16" and tonight measured the same on my 2003 4.3 and measured roughly 9/16". It seems like about a 1/8" spacer would be appropriate, if my measurements are close.

I'll do some more searching on the spacer application. I thought it was on the LS1 forum, but I haven't found it again, yet. Does it use a stock flexplate, a modified stock flexplate, or a custom aftermarket flexplate?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Another thought on this--If the spacer puts the crank flange at 0.400" from the bellhousing flange and the pre-2001 4.3 crank flange is ~0.78" from the bellhousing flange, how did trannies interchange on those? Maybe my measurements are off, or maybe the LSx crank flanges aren't actually inline with the bellhousing flange like I read?

If I have to get a spacer made for this and move the flexplate forward an 1/8 or so, will the starter motor accommodate that? I checked aftermarket parts and they are the same for pre-2001 and post2001 engines, so I assume it's no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycruisers
the spacer for the LS1 is a 0.400" spacer. According to one article, the crank flange is approximately inline with the bellhousing flange on the LSx engines. The spacer would put it at 0.400" aft of the bellhousing flange. On my engine, the crank flange is approximately 0.56" and the older 4.3 would be approximately 0.78". I'm still at a loss.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.