Will Wilwoods Fit?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 AM
Getting distracted at work...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Will Wilwoods Fit??

I have a 76 corvette and am having problems with my brakes (see "Someone Help!!!!") I am wondering if Wilwood calipers part #120-5861 will fit my application. They say that they are universal (yeah rite), and I don't know the dimensions of my brakes at the moment. I know the rotors are 12.75in. But that all I know..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I do not know if they will fit or not....but going back to your original problem...you have air in the system. Brake fluid does not compress but air does...thats why you are getting the spongy feeling. Get rid of your air and your brakes will work properly.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Check the rubber flex lines, they collapes and resrict the flow though them and cause problems getting the brakes bled. Could never get a good pedal
Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Last photo:

It's not so much that the rubber lines restrict, over time they soften up and will balloon which can lead to a soft pedal.

Vince
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Will willwoods fit?

Been there done that You are getting GOOD ADVICE you have air. In a previous post you said that you didn't have the money for stainless calipers but now want Willwood? If the rubber is old replace it, problem or not it rots.Bleed brakes paying attention to where air comes from. Air can be caused from rotor runout bed loose front wheel bearing and believe it or not a caliper can suck air and not leak. When you can bleed system get good peddle then after a few stops it goes bad it sounds like air in system, only you can tell where. Jack
Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Getting distracted at work...

Last photo:

In my own defense...The SSBC replacements for my car are $750 for a pair!!! The wilwoods are barely more than the stock replacements, and probably worth it, from what I've heard... But the advice you all have given me, is very much appreciated. I'll let you guys know how it turns out and what the problem was...
Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

The Stainless brake replacements are 720 for a set of 4 direct from them.
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/sea.../Corvette/1976

that is with stainless sleeves and stainless pistons
If you have stainless sleeves and aluminum pistons the price drops to 520 for the 4 wheel kit.
That's with no deals, no nonsense straight from the guys who make them.
There may be a deal out there from one of their big vendors.

As a comparison Parts america aka Schucks, kragon, Checker. has this in their online catalog.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...rchFor=Caliper

That puts it into prospective that the SS Brakes Caliper set isn't such a bad deal.

By the way the PN that you quoted will NOT fit your Corvette. It is a single piston caliper for a Chevelle/Camaro style brake setup. Also it is for a rotor with a 1.0 inch thickness. Your rotors new have a 1.245 thickness with a 1.215 minimum thickness if they are turned.
Brakes are an area that you can't diddle around and put something that does not belong there or it may cost you or someone else their life.

I am in the belief that your brake system has air in it. My suggestion is to take the car to a competent shop that is used to doing brakes on Corvettes. It will cost you a tad more in labor to start but in the long it will save you head ache and grief.
You can try some of the remedies that have been suggested but unless you have a lot of experience working brakes to begin with you are better off letting the pros handle this.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Corvette calipers develop leaks and suck air when the seals get old. replacing the seals is usually enough to get them working.

It also is always a good idea to replace the rubber lines. they don't lasts for ever.

A good place to do more research is over at Corvette Forum, but it's basically the same info...

BTW the way to tell if you MC is bad is to pump the pedal 3-4 times and stand on the pedal. If it slowly sinks you probaly have a leack MC (or a huge leak in your caliper)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.