Will this work properly? (Pics Inside) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Will this work properly? (Pics Inside)

I just got a pcv valve put on my truck. I'm a bit confused on why he put a oil plug , instead of an oil breather in the right side valve cover.

Will this be alright?

Thanks guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

You need a breather, so fresh air can enter the crankcase or the pcv will not evacuate properly.

Jester
Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Last photo:

Just put a breather where my oil plug is now? Also, do I need to put a grommet there as well?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,087 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnloud View Post
Just put a breather where my oil plug is now? Also, do I need to put a grommet there as well?
Remove the plug from the driver's side valve cover and throw it over the fence. Install a breather in its place so the motor can breathe fresh air into the crankcase.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM

fastandloud,

I California(where I live) in order for this to be smog correct. There needs to be a hose coming from the drivers side vent hole to a hole inside the air filter next to the carb. So as to draw in clean air and to keep the system "closed" in case there is a problem with the positive crankcase ventilation valve.

Scholman
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Remove the plug from the driver's side valve cover and throw it over the fence. Install a breather in its place so the motor can breathe fresh air into the crankcase.
Tech! Yes over the fence LOL
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholman View Post
fastandloud,

I California(where I live) in order for this to be smog correct. There needs to be a hose coming from the drivers side vent hole to a hole inside the air filter next to the carb. So as to draw in clean air and to keep the system "closed" in case there is a problem with the positive crankcase ventilation valve.

Scholman
Yeah, I don't have emission testing of any kind. So, its cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnloud View Post
I just got a pcv valve put on my truck. I'm a bit confused on why he put a oil plug , instead of an oil breather in the right side valve cover.

Will this be alright?

Thanks guys.
This is set up correctly for the type air cleaner you have. It is not necessary to allow the crankcase to breathe and in California that's illegal. The PCV will keep a vacuum on the crankcase pulling the blow by out.

If you go to a breather type cap it needs to be the hose connection type not open to the atmosphere. A hose is then connected between the breather cap and the air cleaner housing. Since you have a open style air cleaner the hose would need to connect inside the filter element; that exposes it to the possibility of a backfire igniting the blowby gasses resulting in a crankcase explosion. For your type air cleaner a fire trap needs to be installed over the tube end. The factory solves this problem by encasing the filter inside a metal housing where the vent tube exits vented blowby intakes fresh air outside the filter element but inside the housing thus using the filter as a fire stop.

Bogie
Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
This is set up correctly for the type air cleaner you have. It is not necessary to allow the crankcase to breathe and in California that's illegal. The PCV will keep a vacuum on the crankcase pulling the blow by out.
Sorry, but I disagree. First, it IS necessary for there to be some sort of air inlet for the PCV to function properly. The only way to evacuate the crankcase fumes is for them to be replaced by fresh air. Suck on a straw with the other end capped and you get no flow.

And as for the setup in the photo being "correct" for that air cleaner, sorry but that is also not correct. Flip that air cleaner over and you'll find a knockout on the underside, inside the filtered area. When new, this air cleaner came with a bolt-on elbow SPECIFICALLY for this purpose. If you needed a closed PCV system, the instructions (which usually were just thrown away) told you to remove the knockout and install the elbow and gasket. This provided a fresh air port that was supposed to routed to the breather cap in the valve cover.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Don't throw it away!
Those 710 caps are worth a fortune to the right blonde on ebay!!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. First, it IS necessary for there to be some sort of air inlet for the PCV to function properly. The only way to evacuate the crankcase fumes is for them to be replaced by fresh air. Suck on a straw with the other end capped and you get no flow.

And as for the setup in the photo being "correct" for that air cleaner, sorry but that is also not correct. Flip that air cleaner over and you'll find a knockout on the underside, inside the filtered area. When new, this air cleaner came with a bolt-on elbow SPECIFICALLY for this purpose. If you needed a closed PCV system, the instructions (which usually were just thrown away) told you to remove the knockout and install the elbow and gasket. This provided a fresh air port that was supposed to routed to the breather cap in the valve cover.
Yes all of that about the air cleaner is true, so is the risk of a crankcase explosion. As for breathing, Ford has dead ended PVC in California forever it seems. The blow-by feeds the suction if it passes that much, other wise the crankcase just operates under a vacuum which helps with ring sealing. Aside from that on a street engine there is no need to vent to the atmosphere, they are not trying to vent fresh air into the enigne the PCV is there to prevent blow by from entering the atmosphere.

If you're racing then it's a different problem where this arraingement will not be satisforctory.

His current set up is just fine, not my preference, but it's fine. I never use those open air filters on the street, I find it's tough to improve on what the factory used for carbs and TBI with an enclosed round filter element wih a thermostatic and vacuum switched air source that draws hot air off the exhust when the engine is cold then closes that to draw cold air from behind the grill when the engine is warmed up. These, at least for GM, then supply an air source to the crankcase with the PCV at the other side. All these hot rod air filters do is to let the engine draw under hood hot air all the time, if he's worried about horsepower it's probably costing 10 or 15 at red line since power goes down quickly as inlet air temp goes up. So these things may look cool, but looks aren't everything.

Bogie
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Well guys, I just now put a push on breather on it as recommended to me earlier. I sure hope nothing explodes?

As far as emissions into the atmosphere, there is NO emission testing where I live, so that doesn't concern me.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I feel that a closed crank case ventilation system might get rid of blow by pressure but is lacking in getting rid of contaminants, Moisture, acids, gas, etc, and a breather will help in that respect,and if blow by over powers the vacuum on the pcv the breather will also act as an exit for the extra blow by pressure!

Get a breather you can put a tube on and run it to the air cleaner! On the opposite valve cover as the PCV. To each his own! Run what you want just stay within the laws of your area !

What years your vehicle?

Bogie states a closed crank case is not his preference!!!! But its fine for the street Its not my preference either!!! I'd run a breather till the law told me to change it over LOL!

Jester
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Its an 82 GMC Sierra. So, in your opinion my current setup with the pcv valve on one side and breather on the other is fine for the motor?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.