Hot Rod Forum banner

williho.....Pfaff 145

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SafeAirOne 
#1 ·
We just purchased a Pfaff 145 with a walking foot. We cannot get the machine in time. If we get it to pick up the bobbin, then the thread becomes a big tangled mess. If it doesnt pick it up, the needle is hitting the bobbin. We need an instruction video on how to time the machine, adjust the tension on the walking foot, how to assemble the entire bobbin mechanism. Can anyone help us. We just paid alot for machine and cannot afford to take to a person to fix it. Frustrated in Michigan!:confused:

#3 · (Edited)
First of all, there is no tension adjustment for the walking foot. Walking foot is a generic term used to describe alternating presser feet. This means the foot itself is in two parts each with its own separate shaft. When one part of the foot is down the other part of the foot is up, and vice versa. This is just a feature to aid the machine in helping heavier thicknesses of fabric to go through the machine easier.

The needle can't hit the bobbin itself, it could hit the hook, but not the bobbin or the bobbin case.

Timing the machine means adjusting the machine so that the hook passes by the needle at just the right time to go into the scarf of the needle and pick up the bobbin thread.

There are a couple things you should try before you do anything else. Change the needle, making sure the needle is all the way up into the needle bar as far as it can go, and snug down the set screw that holds the needle in place. Make sure the grooved side of the needle is pointing to the left, and the scarf is pointing to the right. The scarf is the hollowed out section of the needle just above the eye of the needle.

Make sure the bobbin is installed correctly. The thread should come off the bobbin to the left and then be brought under the bobbin tension after pulling the thread through the groove in the front of the bobbin case.

Try that first, and if that doesn't help, you need to take the machine to an industrial sewing machine mechanic and have them set the tensions, the timing, and check for worn or broken parts. You should really do that anyway, no matter what. I strongly urge you not to try to make any adjustments on your own.

Here is a link to the instruction manual and service manual for the Pfaff 1245. While this is not an exact match to your 145, it is very close. http://www.pfaff-industrial.com/pfaff/en/service/downloads/technicaldocu/pfaffdocument?doctype=technical&classid=1245&doccontent%3Alist=instruction&doccontent%3Alist=service&is_submitted=1&submitselect=Show+Results#ergebnis

Reactions: williho
#4 · (Edited)
I don't know if your Pfaff is like my Adler, but mine has a feature where if the hook mechanism gets bound up or jammed for whatever reason (usually operator error in my case), a clutch mechanism will allow the hook assembly to break free of the drive.

The hook assembly will still spin, but it won't be in the correct phase with the needle till you lock it back in to its detent by holding the hook mechanism from rotating with one hand while you turn the handwheel with the other hand (don't do it using the pedal if you like your left hand).

EDIT: Just had a look at the Service Manual (not Instruction Manual) in the link Dan posted for the Pfaff 1245. It looks like the 1245 has a safety clutch similar to the one I described above. It's addressed in section 1.04.12 of the SM, including how to reset it. The reset method I described for my Adler may not work for this Pfaff.

#6 ·
Most industrial machines have a safety clutch. The method for re-setting the clutch varies from machine to machine. Mine requires I hold down a button on the bed of the machine while turning the hand wheel backward. Normally, when the clutch is disengaged, nothing moves. I have never jammed my machine up bad enough with just thread to require re-setting the safety clutch. I had a bent needle that stopped the machine in its tracks that required re-setting the clutch.

#5 ·
Pfaff 145

I just wanted to say thank you for the information I got back about the Pfaff 145. It was all very helpful. I had not been able to find the instruction or service manual without paying for them. I believe that us moving the machine several times and messing with it and not knowing what we were doing is the real issue. But I think that we have it now. It now is not making a horrible noise and is picking up the bobbin thread. If you have anymore information, I would love to hear your feedback. Thank you, Frustrated in Michigan:smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.