Hot Rod Forum banner

Willys??

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  ewhenson 
#1 ·
In my newpaper, someone is selling a willys jeep for 300 and an extra chassis for another 250. Anyone know what this is??

#5 ·
Tell me it's not true - you have never heard of a WILLYS JEEP?!?!?!? My goodness, that is about all Willys is known for! It has only been a few years since Chrysler acquired the American Motors Corp. which absorbed Willys in the 50's. The Jeep and Willys have been synonymous for most of a century. As you evidently don't know (how can that be!?!?), Willys motor Co. was going bankrupt in the late 30s-early 40s. When the war came, they took the body off their passenger cars (42 Willys) and plopped on a Jeep body and sold a slew of them to the military for WWII. Claim is that the Jeep won the war. Willys couldn’t keep up with demand so several companies (Ford for sure, not sure who else) produced the vehicle using Willys plans.

Here is a more detailed history from a Jeep owner's club web site

"Although Jeep vehicles are now a Chrysler trademark, the word "Jeep" has slipped into our everyday vocabulary. When spoken, it creates an image that everyone understands.

The first coinage of the word "JEEP", as applied to a motor vehicle, occurred during WWI. According to Major E.P. Hogan, who wrote a history of the development of the Jeep for the Army's Quartermaster review in 1941. The word "Jeep", he wrote. "is an old Army grease monkey term that dates back to WWI and was used by shop mechanics in referring to any new motor vehicle received for a test." Jeep was still used in Army motor pools well into the 1930's as general purpose or "GP" for short. Though in a 1941 Army manual it refers "GP" as Government 80" wheel base car (Jeep). Before then in 1936, the term 'Jeep' was it introduced to the world by a Popeye comic strip character, "Eugene the Jeep". The only words Eugene could say were "Jeep, Jeep", and "GP" then became "Jeep". Then the "Willys Quarter-Ton Jeep was 1st used by the U.S. military in WWII. When the WWII Jeep was issued during wartime, the term "Jeep" was here to stay."

The "CJ" moniker refers to 'Citizen Jeep", sold to the general public, as opposed to "Military Jeep". They were the Humm Vs of the 50s.

Wow, I must be getting way too old! Guess I better start looking at 'homes'.

#6 ·
No Willys, Your never to old if you can still turn a wrench!! lol No, Really, I've never been much of a jeep person, that and true hotrodding isn't really big in this area and I'm only 22 if thats an excuse. But Thanks for the info. :)

#7 ·
A buddy of mine owned a 61 or 62 willy's army jeep in highschool,he dropped a 350 chevy in it,added powersteering and 33"mud tires.only car I've ever seen on the street that could smoke all 4 tires away from a stop light.
He told me that AMC bought out willy's the year his jeep was made.

#8 ·
Willys built small cars until WWII, when they got the contract to build the majority of Jeeps (mainly a Bantam design -- who also made small cars, but didn't have a big enough factory to build enough Jeeps). Kaiser-Frazer bought Willys out in the mid to late 50s, when it became Kaiser Jeep Corp. AMC bought Jeep in 1970.

#9 ·
Now you done it, you got Willy all riled up. There are a few rules around here;

#1. Don't mention the word "Willy's" and the fact you know nothing about them around Willys36, cause that fact will soon change.

#2. Don't ever bad mouth Ed Roth or any of his creations, he'll kill ya.

I think that should be added to the user agreement, what do you think Jon? :D

We like to keep him in a stable frame of mind, you wouldn't want to be chased by that Hemi down some dark highway like a scene out of "Christine" would ya? :D

I mean think about it, he built that thinly disguised dragster of a Willys and he was in a good mood then! If you get him pi$$ed off he might build some alky burning dirt bike engined (hemi of course) chainsaw or something and hound your butt.

Think about it? :)

#10 ·
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>

#21 ·
I have a 75 cj5 with a 304 amc in it. i love that motor. all forged internals, balanced, custom flowed heads, comp cam, edelbrock rpm manifold, 650 edelbrock carb ( was my dad's decision to use that carb i personally hate edelbrock carbs especially off road.) dynotech headers. 4:27 rear and front gears, Detroit lockers front and back. it goes down the road side ways most of the time. too short of wheelbase it can get pretty scary

#22 ·
My grandfather bought a Willys Jeep brand new back in 1952 and he still has it. It still runs but it is one of those vehicles that you check the gas and fill the oil. That old Jeep must have a million miles on it, it is like the energizer bunny it just keeps on going going and going.

#23 ·
willys36@aol.com said:
Tell me it's not true - you have never heard of a WILLYS JEEP?!?!?!? My goodness, that is about all Willys is known for! It has only been a few years since Chrysler acquired the American Motors Corp. which absorbed Willys in the 50's. The Jeep and Willys have been synonymous for most of a century. As you evidently don't know (how can that be!?!?), Willys motor Co. was going bankrupt in the late 30s-early 40s. When the war came, they took the body off their passenger cars (42 Willys) and plopped on a Jeep body and sold a slew of them to the military for WWII. Claim is that the Jeep won the war. Willys couldn’t keep up with demand so several companies (Ford for sure, not sure who else) produced the vehicle using Willys plans.

Here is a more detailed history from a Jeep owner's club web site

"Although Jeep vehicles are now a Chrysler trademark, the word "Jeep" has slipped into our everyday vocabulary. When spoken, it creates an image that everyone understands.

The first coinage of the word "JEEP", as applied to a motor vehicle, occurred during WWI. According to Major E.P. Hogan, who wrote a history of the development of the Jeep for the Army's Quartermaster review in 1941. The word "Jeep", he wrote. "is an old Army grease monkey term that dates back to WWI and was used by shop mechanics in referring to any new motor vehicle received for a test." Jeep was still used in Army motor pools well into the 1930's as general purpose or "GP" for short. Though in a 1941 Army manual it refers "GP" as Government 80" wheel base car (Jeep). Before then in 1936, the term 'Jeep' was it introduced to the world by a Popeye comic strip character, "Eugene the Jeep". The only words Eugene could say were "Jeep, Jeep", and "GP" then became "Jeep". Then the "Willys Quarter-Ton Jeep was 1st used by the U.S. military in WWII. When the WWII Jeep was issued during wartime, the term "Jeep" was here to stay."

The "CJ" moniker refers to 'Citizen Jeep", sold to the general public, as opposed to "Military Jeep". They were the Humm Vs of the 50s.

Wow, I must be getting way too old! Guess I better start looking at 'homes'.

willys, are you slippin' on me :confused:

you forgot about the little french-renault deal that the boys at AMC did to keep their heads afloat in the 60's. on another note, how about those J-10 pickups. pretty hot stuff.

xtacy

#24 ·
gsxtacy said:
willys, are you slippin' on me :confused:

you forgot about the little french-renault deal that the boys at AMC did to keep their heads afloat in the 60's. on another note, how about those J-10 pickups. pretty hot stuff.

xtacy
Actually, it was the late 70s......I was working in the Jeep plant then.

#26 ·
Ron Francis

Scott,
As you can see I own a '59 Willys Overland station Wagon. They were built from 1947 until 1961. These were 2 wheel drive to start then 4 wheel after 1950.

They make a vey confortable hot rod when you drop them, use independent front, 9 inch Ford , 350 Chevy with TPI, 700R4, PS, PB, PW, AC and a lot of sound proofing to deaden the large box that they are.

Since I'm 6'4", this is the first street rod I could walk up and sit down in. Mine is only 5-6 off the street. The 17 and 18 inch wheels make it handle great.

Willys Americar started it with the coupes and sedans. then off to war. Your question of less than $600.00 will probably result in a lot of rust that they were all know to have.

You can sit the body on newer CJ Chassis and even some Chevy truck frames. Better look before you buy.
Merry Christmas,
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.