Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Willys Body parts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/willys-body-parts-132673.html)

Januarymopar 02-01-2008 06:32 AM

Willys Body parts

I currently have a 1941 Willys pickup prostreet truck. It has a tilt front end that I would like to change out to a stationary front. My quest for replacement parts, whether steel or fiberglass have been discouraging. The fiberglass that I have seen is either too flimsy for street use or the quality is poor (needs a lot of body work) and these pieces are brand new not used. Does anyone know of a company that has quality front end parts, fenders, grille support, and hood that would not take my entire retirement fund?

wildman1932 02-01-2008 06:37 AM

Out Law has very good parts, also Ida??? Dennis Taylor has been sold, so???
Steel will be nearly impossible, and pricey.

advanced design 02-02-2008 08:37 AM

If you are looking for high quality steel Willys parts check http://www.fergusoncoachbuilding.com...acement_parts/

He does incredible work. In fact he was just finishing a complete front clip for a client when I stopped by the other day.

Look around at the parts and projects for examples of his craftsmanship.

MARTINSR 02-02-2008 10:22 AM

Excellent craftsmenship, just amazing to see that kind of work. And his idea of making parts for sale instead of waiting around for clients to come to him is good thinking! He and I get along like water and vineger personally :boxing: but I am the first to admit he does some fine work!

Brian

adtkart 02-02-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Look around at the parts and projects for examples of his craftsmanship.
There is no doubt that his work is "True Chratsmanship" at it's finest. Besides being a true craftsman, he is also a real down to earth person that is willing to help anyone. I was fortunate to be able to help some on a project he had at Metalmeet in October. He was constantly taking his time to help someone else with their project, or answering questions.

Aaron

advanced design 02-03-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtkart
There is no doubt that his work is "True Chratsmanship" at it's finest. Besides being a true craftsman, he is also a real down to earth person that is willing to help anyone. I was fortunate to be able to help some on a project he had at Metalmeet in October. He was constantly taking his time to help someone else with their project, or answering questions.

Aaron

I have seen Randy do this many times over the years. In fact when I called Randy on my 35 Chevy door skins he said "Bring them over, I can make them for you, you can use my equpment to make them or I can help you make them."

If you don't know how, he will gladly show you how - you just have to be willing to put in the effort to do so. That is pretty cool considering making these parts is how he provides for his family.

BarryK 02-03-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by advanced design
I have seen Randy do this many times over the years. In fact when I called Randy on my 35 Chevy door skins he said "Bring them over, I can make them for you, you can use my equpment to make them or I can help you make them."

If you don't know how, he will gladly show you how - you just have to be willing to put in the effort to do so. That is pretty cool considering making these parts is how he provides for his family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been to two metal meets and you can not help but to just love this guy, a master painter that gave up that career to make sheet metal parts.

No ego here at all and don't need one, as he knows what the hell he is doing and don't need to read a tech sheet to explain it.
Over the four days I was at metal meet he never did any work on his parts, he spent his whole time teaching new comers and experienced ones a like.
Randy is the best of the best, hands down!

adtkart 02-03-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Over the four days I was at metal meet he never did any work on his parts, he spent his whole time teaching new comers and experienced ones a like.
As I recall, there was a guy at the last MM that was helping on Randy's project car, that was also making panels for a Willys of his own. Randy was helping him understand what it was he was doing. It was a dream come true for me to actually watch Randy explain things as he, or someone else did them. Although I have made patch panels and the like for many years, I learned very quickly that there was definately a better way.

He probably knows more about the metal in an original Willys body than anyone.

Aaron

BarryK 02-03-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtkart
As I recall, there was a guy at the last MM that was helping on Randy's project car, that was also making panels for a Willys of his own. Randy was helping him understand what it was he was doing. It was a dream come true for me to actually watch Randy explain things as he, or someone else did them. Although I have made patch panels and the like for many years, I learned very quickly that there was definately a better way.

He probably knows more about the metal in an original Willys body than anyone.

Aaron

--------------------------------------------------------------
What is funny is the first time I went, because of my lead-ing experience I prided myself in being a top notch metal finisher.
I always though I had a real touch for metal finishing and worked in the 70's at a production shop (crap shop, that did rental cars) and would get chewed out because I could metal finish a ping-ding as fast as I could fill it with filler and boss would see the end result and chew me to no end for not just slapping filler on it. Once I went to metal meet and watching these guys, I realized real quick I did not know what I was doing, period!
What an ego buster!

advanced design 02-03-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryK
--------------------------------------------------------------
What is funny is the first time I went, because of my lead-ing experience I prided myself in being a top notch metal finisher.
I always though I had a real touch for metal finishing and worked in the 70's at a production shop (crap shop, that did rental cars) and would get chewed out because I could metal finish a ping-ding as fast as I could fill it with filler and boss would see the end result and chew me to no end for not just slapping filler on it. Once I went to metal meet and watching these guys, I realized real quick I did not know what I was doing, period!
What an ego buster!

I think that is maybe why participants (for the most part) leave their egos at home when attending a MM event. There is probably someone (or many someones) there that are way more skilled. They don't brag about it but willingly share it. Like Randy does. Sharing Information, Sharpening Skills. Everyone contributes to the knowledge base.

This thread started with January Mopar looking for quality parts at a price that won't break the retirement fund. One way to get the parts is to learn to make them by getting involved with folks like Randy at MetalMeet.com and attend regional or the international event. In addition to learning metal shaping you get to meet a bunch of really great people.

adtkart 02-03-2008 02:08 PM

One nice thing about Metalmeet is that you have plenty of help there, if you need it. If you have a piece that you want to fix or make, there is someone there that is willing to help. Being from Ohio, you might check the Metal Meet site and see if there is a regional meet someplace close. If not, the Big Deal is in October every year, I believe, in Illinois, and you might consider a trip there.

It is rewarding making your own parts. If you have the front end on that vehicle, you can use that for patterns, modifying the patterns to where they bolt together. Imagine going to a local thow where there is a guy that talks about that he made the tubs in his car. You stand there and look at them and they look like TUBS, and reply " I made the whole front end of mine". :D

Aaron

Januarymopar 02-06-2008 04:17 PM

Willys front end parts

I want to thank everyone for their input to my search for front-end parts for my 1941 Willys Pickup. I did talk to the owner of Ferguson Coach Building about steel parts, but unfortunately I am retired and financially I am not able to take advantage of parts of that quality. I had the opportunity to see a Ferguson steel Willys front fender at the Gasser Reunion at Thompson Drag Raceway and the quality was just outstanding. I have to do as much work as possible on my Willys just because of the cost of loving hot rods, so the steel components were just out of my financial reach. Steel for me is just a dream item. My search was the result of buying glass fenders from one of the many vendors out there, but the attention to detail was lacking. Even after I talked to the sales representative about what they needed to do to fix their quality problem, there was just a lack of interest. They will take them back, but no one so far has a finished product that you can look at first and then buy. All the makers of parts build after the order has been placed. Thanks again everyone. I will just keep my eyes open at the meets for something I like and can afford.

Randy Ferguson 02-06-2008 04:30 PM

JM,

I know of two Willys front ends for sale in northern Ohio. The '40 needs quite a bit of work and the '41 is in pretty good shape. I have nothing to gain from the sale of these, but if you're interested, I'll put you in touch with the owner.

Please send me an e-mail if interested

fergusoncoachbuilding@wildblue.net

I appreciate all the compliments here guys.

adtkart 02-06-2008 04:48 PM

JM.... I understand the money thing. I sure wish you were closer. I would help you all I could, but it would not be the same as if Randy was doing it.

Aaron

Randy Ferguson 02-13-2008 08:12 PM

Willys front end

We finished the new steel Willys front end yesterday.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/d...m/DCP_1141.JPG