Willys Gasser Recomendations - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Willys Gasser Recomendations

Hey guys I am interested in a Willy's Gasser and since an all steel body one is out of my price range I am considering the following. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any experience with them and their quality? let me know I appreciate it.

Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=009

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The body being permantly mounted to the frame sounds odd for some reason.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Interesting in that all he has sold in the past 90 days is knock-off's of Hallibrand mag wheels............and all he has bought is model car kits and one purchase of spray-on bedliner?????

Also the item description does say the body is permanently mounted and then further down says it is mounted with Grade 8 hardware....to me Grade 8 hardware means nuts and bolts??

I don't think I will bid on this one!!!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

And....Why doesn't he show few pictures of the chassis etc of the car instead of just pics of finished cars...........seems strange.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Saw this before but passed it by. Since you asked and I am not too far so I asked if I can inspect the car. Will wait for reply.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. HeyJude I appreciate the look if you can.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh
Thanks guys. HeyJude I appreciate the look if you can.
I just got a reply with Phone#. Not promising anything but if the weather is nice just might take a little ride up there Friday. Will keep you informed.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Active Power has been around for a while. Check his web site. His thing is to mount the body on an S-10 chassis. He has several options. I've only seen one in early construction. Looked like a lot of work to me. The frame needed cleaning after removal of the body. Sand blasting was pretty expensive to the guy that I saw. There is some rework and cutting and fitting. Then you have the brakes to either replace or o'haul, rear end to use or narrow and o'haul.. Then the body needs mounting. Need to make or buy mounts from AP. I thought the body was rough compared to mine. Mine is polished right from the factory, with no seams .

Cost wise I prefer to use A & C body which is nearly perfect right out of the mold. I bought a pro street frame with motor mounts only and set up for IFS. Everything else I did myself including the narrowed rear end. I have no body work to do, all the body mounts and sub frame was alredy in the car. All I had to do was drill a handful of holes and run Grade 8 bolts and lock nuts. 4 hours of work. Now I did change the rear end mounting but I would not have had to. Everything would have bolted right in. The front end suspension was a bolt on. I added some tubing to the inside but no big deal, it just made mounting the dash and steering easier.

I feel that a Willys is hard enough to build using a good body and new chassis. Why would I go to all the trouble of cleaning and o'hauling a 200k mile chassis?? Granted there are some good things about the S-10. But it is heavy, in my opinion. My car weighs 2600# nearly ready to drive. If you are going to do a gasser style you have to remove all the S-10 stuff so more work. Lots easier to bolt or weld on new stuff.

The car on e-bay...grade 8 hardware. Entirely possible. I think he is saying the body is mounted and ready to continue the project. I don't think it is glassed in or anything like that. You could just unbolt it.

It looks like too much $$$. to me.

Dave, do your home work on this. I don't want to discourage you but expect a huge money pit. I'm less than 200 hours away from finishing and have $4,000 more to get in misc. hardware to get. No interior and no paint and no headliner.

Headlights are 585 and the grill insert is 475 and tail lights are 120 just for easy stuff. A wire harness is about 350, plus some add ons. Gages are from 400 to 700. Door hardware is about 250 for electrics and 300 for power windows. Seats....125 for stealing them to 900 for some nice leather ones.

You will need a welder and shop equipmet, the more the better.

I have kept countless spreadsheets for this project. The total cost is for my eyes only. haha There only needs to be one skipped heart beat here. haha For the most part I use them to get me ready to spend a lot of money. I use them also to compare products and keep track of address and ph no. Otherwise just keep throwing money at it...eventually it will be on the ground and rolling. It will never be done. they never are. haha

If you need any help just pm or post and I kick in what I can.

You have to have a little humor when building a Willys too or it will get you down. haha

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.