Hot Rod Forum banner

Wilwood M/C Disc / Drum

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Robs455 
#1 ·
Hi folks

I tried to contact willwood per email but they don't answer me...
I come from europe and can't use the helpline, so i try my luck here :welcome:

I would like to know if this master cylinder from Wilwood will work on my stock setup. I have front disc and rear drums with following lines:

2 front lines 3/16"
1 rear 1/4" with tee fitting on the axle into two 3/16" lines

The Wilwood proportioning valve have 3 exits size 3/8-24 with an SAE inverted flare for standard 3/16” line.

The front lines are not an issue but the rear line with the 1/4" size. My thoughts are: Is there a opportunity to connect the 1/4" line from the rear? Or will a new 3/16" brake line do the job?

Thanks for any advice

kind regards

Robert

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks for your adive joe, im a noobie on brake systems...
My other question is, the required volume of fluid. I guess the drums need more volume and less pressure for braking as disc. So i'm not sure about the volume output for the rear brakes if it enough... It should be enough, because Wilwood doesn't say only for disc? I'm very careful about brakes and safety and i dont want waste money with buying the wrong parts...

#4 ·
You are correct to be concerned about proper sizing of parts. The problem is that you need to match the calipers, the rear wheel cylinders, and the bore of the M/C. Unfortunately, the only certain way to do that is to copy an existing brake system design from a vehicle with about the same weight and distribution as yours. Otherwise, it's a little bit of trial and error. I remember reading an article years ago that suggested doing test runs with panic braking on a deserted road to set the adjustable prop valve. Unfortunately, even this needs to consider the extremes of how the vehicle is loaded - fully loaded vs. lightly loaded.

In any case, the smaller bore M/C will provide higher line pressure for a given foot pressure, but less volume for the same stroke. This is why manual brake cars typically use an M/C with a smaller bore than the same car with power brakes (though, not always).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.