Windage Trays - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 08:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Windage Trays

I am looking for info regarding Windage Trays. I understand they help the oil stay near the pick up during high speed turns but are they really necessary for the part time street/strip car of the 400 + HP catagory?? I am currently running a Pontiac 400 mildly built with a Canton Racing pan (has internal baffles) in my 66 Goat. Is the tray really necessary???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2004, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

IMO.... I don't think a windage tray is NECESSARRY, but 'free' horse power is free horse power..... (forty bucks for a windage tray isn't free..) I can't tell if my motor is any stouter for having one or not. But i'd like to think that is the reason i'm running as strong as i am ...... if you can, get a milodon tray, they come with yellow stickers, the KEY to HP.....
the tray's basic function is to keep the oil off the crank, reducing aeration of the oil, and decreased drag (minutely parasitic) on the crank. The baffles keep the oil on the pickup.

next.............
Old 09-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

As the name implies, a windage tray keeps the wind currents generated in the crankcase from pulling the oil up and into the rotating crank shaft. The bigger an engine and the higher the revs the more current is created. The oil is not as likely to be pulled away from the pick-up as it is to act as resistance to the rotating assembly, or simply take away some horsepower. I us a windage tray in every engine I build, and think it is a cheap addition, I suggest you install one. While it isn't as likely to pull the oil from the pick-up it can, as the rpms climb and oil is circulating, contribute to a low supply of oil in the pan.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

From what I understand trays help to keep oil in pan/ scrape(not psy. of course) oil off the rotating assembly thus keeping rotating weight down allowing better rpm bands and gaining a few HP. The main job is to keep oil off crank. If you get one get a good one and not a solid tray one.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all your input on my windage tray question. Canton sells a tray that goes with their pan and is sandwiched between the pan and the block. Seems this might be a leak potential but I haven't heard any bad press on the set up. Since I already have the canton pan I might as well use their tray too. Milidon sells the pan and tray combo but they said there could be Header clearance problems with the Milidon performance pans.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Stock 428 CJs used a tray that was held in place by the pan and I've never experienced any leakage problems. I'd go wth the Canton set up.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:15 PM

unless you have an leaky oil pan gasket you shouldn't have any trouble.windage trays that aren't part of the pan bolt in.you get studs longer than the bolts they replace so you can bolt the tray on after installi the crank.otherwise you would replace your cap bolts one at a time and retork them,then install the tray and nuts that hold them on.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.