Hot Rod Forum banner

windlace wrinkling problem

31K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  captainbob 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm having trouble with windlace wrinkling on the tight corner around a wrap-around windshield. In the past we have used cloth or leather covered rod and never had a problem with wrinkles, but using vinyl and it wrinkles alot. I have steamed, stretched and cut relief cuts right up to the stitches and it still wrinkles on me. The vinyl is sewn and the sponge rod is not glued to the vinyl, in less sharp bends, stretching and reliefs work great, but this corner won't smooth out. is there something I'm overlooking or is it the nature of the beast?

See less See more
#2 ·
What did you sew the windlace with? If you didn't use a 3/4" welt foot on your sewing machine, ( assuming 1/2" sponge rod or 5/8" welt foot for 3/8" sponge rod) you will get wrinkles like that. Still, that is a very severe corner, and some wrinkling will probably occur no matter what, but it should be less than what you have there.

#4 ·
This is just a thought, but how about taking the stitching out completely in the corner and pulling the vinyl as tight as you can?

I have a piece of cloth windlace here and it did the same thing when I bent it like yours, although not as severely.

#7 ·
I was also thinking that you could staple your windlace up to about 2" away from the corner, and then pulled it across the corner and stapled it down 2" away from the other side of the corner, and then pulled it up and away into the corner that that might work or at least help.

#8 ·
Yep, its a '59 ford wagon.

thanks for the advice. I ended up cutting out the stitching completely and stapled just the outer side and steaming and stretching it as I stapled it along the curve, then I did the same to the inner side.

The end result is a whole lot better than what was there, not perfect but ok. . .
thanks

]

#20 ·
WELL THAT TURNED OUT GREAT.

We are getting ready to install a headliner in our strech cab 53 Chevy and when we were doing the finish metal work, we removed the strip that holds the inside rubber windlace.
The entire roof area is covered with 18ga. sheet metal, with insulation in between.
The question is the windlace AND the headliner material?
Do we start over and cover the roof with wood, or something to attach the windlace at the edges, or just contact glue to the metal?

YES this is a very helpful site with great folks, Thanks !!

#27 · (Edited)
For those of you who don't know, cutting welt cord on the bias means cutting the fabric strips at a 45 degree angle. This means using up a huge amount of fabric, or having welts that have a huge number of seams. I'm not sure how you can bias cut anything longer than about 7 feet long without having to seam it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.