Window channels and removing vent window - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 08:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Window channels and removing vent window

As simple as it looks I wanted to get some opinions on this topic. I am planning on removing the vent window in my 41 buick, but was wondering about how difficult that is. I understand I need a new window cut, which is not a problem, but the window channels is my issue. a) where do I purchase the channels b) how do I bend it and install it. I looked around but this topic didn't jump out with anything meaningful when I searched and though maybe people could push me in the right direction. Also the strip that goes across the window frame bottom on the door itself where would be a good source.
With fall coming I am planning my latest project being the interior and this is the first thing I need to do to keep the mice out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0008a.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2538  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 01:26 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Here's a breakdown of me removing mine from my 54 Chevy pickup:
Click Here

And here's my installation of new chromed vent windows:
Click Here

Rebuilding vent windows is an extremely complicated and difficult task, which is why I decided it was more cost effective for me to spend $500 and buy the new chromed vent windows for my truck -- installation was a breeze!

I bought mine from BowTie Bits ... they do Chevy's ... I dunno who might do Buick stuff, but you might start by emailing the BowTie bits guys.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 09-10-2004, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

One solid Window

Thanks Horvath, but what I am looking to do is remove the vent window all together and just have one single window. I went through the same adventure you did on my 54 Ford Truck those vent windows are no fun at all. Since I am planning AC I cannot see any reason to keep them and the fact it is hard to find replacements.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Singles

That is a very COOL car. Love to see it when you finish.
Getting the old vent out should be fairly easy. The felt for the top channel down to the open side of the door should be stock GM. The hard part is going to be using the vent window upright as a guide, for the hinged part of the door, for the glass to travel in. I would get a piece of ply, maybe quarter inch to use as a template for the glass. Put that into the car and use it to setup the front window guide. The fuzz along the window sill comes in 4-5 foot lengths and was held in place with a heavy staple. Just use the new stuff and drill holes wide enough to accommodate a heavy staple. Push it through and bend it closed. Staples I used came from Sears. Good luck.

hr41pearl
Old 09-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Instead of those staples, I used very, very small sheet metal screws; flatheads ... they get buried in the fuzzie-stuff, so you don't even know they're there, and if/when you want to remove/replace it's a whole lot easier to deal with than staples!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 09-11-2004, 09:22 PM

The best place to find the window channel is from a glass shop if you have one near you. The shop I worked in we had about 20 different samples of it for people to look at and see what fit best, and the we ordered it in 20' lengths.
As far as bending it most of the channels have a flexible metal backing on it, you just bend it as you put it in and the screw it in place. I f you don't have a glass shop around you d a search for L.O.F, libby owens ford, they are probably the largest distributor or auto glass and auto glass parts in the us.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:43 AM
OddJob

Last photo:

After careful measurement I found JCWhitney had everything I needed in the way of windows track felting for both around the window and up the vent window channel.

Takes me about a day to rebuild a vent window set not counting the chroming.

Last edited by pzatchok; 09-13-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey, I'm just the interior guy

Last photo:

http://www.vintageglass.com/
Old 06-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

best thing to do

you can alway's redo what you have got sometimes aftermarket don't fit right. if you channel needs a linner in it you can strip out and clean the old channel . then go buy you some black industrial feltcrol and using a paint stick fold the felt half and push it into the channel to make it stick. then put the channel back in the door and roll up the window and let sit over night come next day and trim the excess off. the best way to take it out is to remove the window first. this gives you more working room. and it is easier
Old 10-10-2007, 04:35 AM

Losing the vent window

A recent issue of Street Rodder or Rod&Custom covered this project for a 40 Ford. The company that did it for the mag sells a kit. m I've got a 47 Plymouth and am contemplating the same deal on it. Like your Buick, its not mainstream so probably no kit. I talked to a glass shop owner at a recent Mopar Meet in St Louis. He does this mod for customers. The rear glass channel should be pretty much stock. The front channel needs to be purchased from a glass shop. Using ideas already presented, make up a window mockup using masonmite or plywood to fill the bigger opening. Do this precisely as this will also be the template for your glass. Using the mockup, determine where the new, revised front channel will have to run to support the front of the window. Take good measurements and make blocks out of wood to position the channel near the front of the door. You can use Liquid Nails or other industrial adhesive to fasten the blocks to the front door wall. Use the countersunk flathead screws to fasten the channel to the blocks. Install the fuzzies into the channel using rivets or the aforementioned screws. The upper window felt channel is available from a glass shop or JC Whitney. This is bendable/flexible. Go slowly so it doesn't bulge while you bend it. The trim around your existing vent window will be the biggest problem as it varies from vehicle to vehicle. You need to decide what can stay and what must go and how to finish off that area to make it look like the rest of the door/window installation. After that's done go for the power window installation!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

Other than the angle of your rear pillar because yours is an aero body, your doors are the same as mine on my Chevy. Check my journal for how I used the existing hardware. If you don't want to chop up the existing stuff, Chevs of the 40's has a channel kit for the doors. They also have pre-bent sills. If you look closely, you will see that the window glass and the vent wing glass are not in the same plane. There is a kink in the sill. When you go to a one piece glass, you either have to modify the sill or have a big gap between the fuzzy and the glass.
http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/browse....pt=car&skip=19
http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/browse....search=hagwsrs
I got my glass from this guy. Very knowledgeable and helpful.
http://stores.ebay.com/Bobs-Classic-Auto-Glass
If you check my journal, you will see I have stopped working on the glass at present. The front channel is not in the same plane as the back channel. (Not sure about your aero door.) I am probably going to have to shim the glue in channel in at the top on the front pillar and out at the bottom on the back pillar. I may also have to open up a channel for the power kit I am installing to make sure everything is in the same plane.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I have the same problem with my 48 Chevy Coupe. The vent window is not in the same plane as the window glass. Nu-relics has a kit for your car to remove the vent windows. http://www.nu-relics.com/bop40_48fnv.html besides the kit, they have a solution to that problem.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.