window sealant removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

window sealant removal

I've taken the front and rear windshields out of my 72 nova using the piano wire method recommended by a fellow member, thank you sooo much!!. It took about 10 minutes a window with no damage.

There is a considerable amount of adhesive mixed with gasket material left to remove. I have scraped off as much as possible. Working inside my garage I am a little reluctant to use hot solvents like MEK. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,009 Posts
I have found that there is no "solvent" that cuts the stuff, generally speaking. There is rust there correct? You are going to have to paint it, right? So just take a small grinder to it with a 50 grit disc and get it done. You will find that is really the most productive way to remove it.

This is IF you really do need to paint it. I have done a LOT of those GM windows and every single one of them needed to be painted after some rust repair. If this is the case, just grind it out. Use a "Surface conditioning disc" or "clean and strip" wheel from 3M to get into the corners. DO NOT grind away the stud for the clips though. That area will need spot sand blasting to clean up. When you have clean it all up, epoxy prime it and paint. Or, simply apply the urethane to set the window over the epoxy primer. That is actually the method required by automotive manufacturers.

Brian
Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 PM

Take some of the sealant and make a ball. Dab it on the pinch weld and it should pick the sealant up.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMN
Take some of the sealant and make a ball. Dab it on the pinch weld and it should pick the sealant up.
If this is butyl that's exactly how you do it, wad it up into a ball and push the ball on and pull it up and it will lift the adhesive as you go. If it is a urethane you'll just have to scrape and grind as necessary. I've used piano wire for glass removal on these old cars for years and can't remember that last time I broke a piece of glass. I remember explaining the proceedure awhile back on this forum-maybe that's where you got the info from? Glad to hear it worked well. Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.