windows 98? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 06:44 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

windows 98?

Since XP service pack 2, my sound card and Microsoft joystick are no longer compatible with my computer, nor is some other software I used to use. Apparently now with Vista there are a bunch more incompatibility issues. I am seriously thinking of reinstalling Windows 98 since everything worked fine back then.

My question. Am I taking any kind of security risk by going back to Windows 98? What's the worst that could happen? I'm not really a computer guy so any enlightenment would help. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Do you have drivers for either device? 9 times out of 10 XP will supply a driver, but some times you need to install the driver made for the device so it will work properly or at all.

I can say to definitely DO NOT use vista. More problems than you can shake a stick at. Wait for a service pack if at all possible. I dislike how vista will delete anything it sees unfit.

If you cant find the drivers give me the model names for the devices and I will see what I can dig up.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:03 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Did you re-install windows with a XP SP2 disc or did you download SP2 from Microsoft's website/windows update?

If you just installed windows than you probably just need drivers. If you downloaded the service pack I see no reason why it would have affected your joystick and programs. However, windows has been know to do some weird things. I can give ya a hand if you need it.

If you are thinking of going back to windows 98, I'm going to assume you have an older computer. If you don't have at least a 2GHz cpu & 1 gig of ram I would not touch Vista.

Security risks with 98 are no longer that bad since most people have XP now. Just be sure to run a firewall like zone alarm and you will be fine.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRattle
Do you have drivers for either device? 9 times out of 10 XP will supply a driver, but some times you need to install the driver made for the device so it will work properly or at all.

I can say to definitely DO NOT use vista. More problems than you can shake a stick at. Wait for a service pack if at all possible. I dislike how vista will delete anything it sees unfit.

If you cant find the drivers give me the model names for the devices and I will see what I can dig up.

I just setup vista yesterday, its getting better and better. I've found that most of the problems I'm getting are drivers that are written for XP. I just take a few minutes, google the problem, manually update drivers and I'm good to go. Vista just isn't the industry standard yet, but it seems solid so far.

For those who aren't too tech savvy, I'd wait a few months until vista becomes the benchmark, and you'll get auto-fixes for these problems.

So far I've found vista is really taking advantage of my system as a media center. I like the 3d interface too... looks great on my 24 inch flat screen at 1920x1280 resolution Yeah, ok. So I'm a nerd...
Old 03-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Microsoft will soon, if not already, stop supporting Win98. I wouldn't reinstall it.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 AM
One o them people who can post

XP can and WILL screw with you. It thought it had better drivers for my video card (NVidia Geforce FX5200), but now OpedGl doesn't work. I have the drivers, but haven't bothered installing. 2ghz processor and 1 gig of ram?????
I have a 733 pentium overclocked to 913. runs 20 degrees above room temp.
256 ram. (Yes, it's a 8 year old POS)
Old 03-23-2007, 01:38 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Vista requirements as per Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/capable.mspx

I build/repair computers as a part time job & we decided to keep offering XP standard for another 4-6months. Trust me, don't run vista on a machine less than 2Ghz with 1Gig ram. Killer has the hardware to run it.

I'm not going to run it because there are no vista drivers for my HDTV card.

Galaxie, a friend of mine actually had Dual PIII's overclocked to 1.2 w/512MB RAM running windows 2000. That thing was a beast.

P.S. Killer I bet my computer is faster than your's; actually I bet I'm the fastest on the site Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3.42GHz and 2GB of DDR2 800 Also 2x 250G Sata drives RAID 0 Overclocked X1900XT 512MB video card.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjamelectric
Since XP service pack 2, my sound card and Microsoft joystick are no longer compatible with my computer, nor is some other software I used to use. Apparently now with Vista there are a bunch more incompatibility issues. I am seriously thinking of reinstalling Windows 98 since everything worked fine back then.

My question. Am I taking any kind of security risk by going back to Windows 98? What's the worst that could happen? I'm not really a computer guy so any enlightenment would help. Thanks.
MS Windows 98 is unsafe to connect to the Internet. It was made for a different time.

MS Vista is spyware and controlware - it was designed to sell you to the MPAA and RIAA by assuring them that you cannot do anything with your computer that they do not wany you to do. You may want to read this:

"A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection"
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

and this:

"Microsoft responds to DOT ban on Vista, Office 2007"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=301

and this:

"Vista causes an array of problems"
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...problems_N.htm

"Forced software upgrades can add up for Vista users"
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

"Why Vista's DRM Is Bad For You"
http://www.forbes.com/security/2007/...0212vista.html

"Microsoft fails second virus test"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6418965.stm

"More Windows Vista Problems for Korean Firms"
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...702060016.html

"Vista has speech recognition hole"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm
(I particularly like the Microsoft "security researcher" response to this one: "The exploit scenario would involve the speech recognition feature picking up commands through the microphone such as 'copy', 'delete', 'shutdown', etc. and acting on them." Well, gee, Mr. Expert, don't you usually have to have a microphone and speakers on in order for speech recognition to work?)

I recommend you pop a live CD in that box and try out Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix or even Damn Small Linux.

"Baby's First Laptop"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2098831,00.asp

"The big switch!"
http://dailydog.be/archives/737

"A Vista vs. Linux Matchup - Part 3: Hardware Wars"
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

You can download live CD or DVD images to burn from:
http://www.frozentech.com/content/li...ort=&showonly=

If your downloads of live CDs or DVDs get corrupted by Internet Exploiter, you can always just ask Ubuntu to send you a free CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu
Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxieRoller
XP can and WILL screw with you. It thought it had better drivers for my video card (NVidia Geforce FX5200), but now OpedGl doesn't work. I have the drivers, but haven't bothered installing. 2ghz processor and 1 gig of ram?????
I have a 733 pentium overclocked to 913. runs 20 degrees above room temp.
256 ram. (Yes, it's a 8 year old POS)
Strangely enough, those specs are just slightly better than the computer I set up recently for a local high school football coach. His fairly new Dell laptop running MS XP w/SP2 wasn't able to edit all of the videos of their football games for him to make a "highlights" DVD.

I had an old Dell GX110 with P III 866, built-in (crappy) Intel i810 video, 256 MB RAM, a couple of junk speakers (I had to solder bridge the switch to make them work) and an old Philips 17" monitor. I had a spare 160 GB Seagate hard drive, so I wiped that, made a quick and dirty copy of my Debian GNU/Linux system on it and also copied their season's worth of football videos on it.

He had only ever used MS Movie Maker 2, which obviously wasn't going to run in Debian, so I installed Kino. Kino was able to import all the various videos that MM2 refused. He's no computer whiz, but in about ten minutes he was showing me things that kino could do that I didn't know about. (Most of my video editing consists of transferring home video to DVD or chopping commercials out of time-shift recordings. I don't do fades and wipes and dubs).

I warned him that it was almost insane to use a computer with those specs for video editing, but it worked. He told me it got pretty slow by the time he went through about 5 hours of the games, pulling out highlights. He ended up splitting the season, saving each half-season's worth of clips in 2 files, then combining those files for the final recording. I didn't much care for the various music selections he dubbed in, but he says that's what the high school kids listen to. Not my cup o tea, to borrow from Henry Highrise.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM

What is Debian? I have heard of linux, but do you need another OS as a base or what?
Also, I don't have SP2, so is this good, bad, or ugly with my aforementioned specs?

(I now cower in corner, thinking I asketh
(too many queries)

Decipher THAT
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

For people with windows just leave or auto update on. They are always adding key security updates that will keep you running.

Debian is a "version" of linux. There are many distributions of linux they have a pretty steep learning curve but I recommend it to anyone that just does basic computing. I you just surf the web you cannot beat it.

Linux is its own thing you dont put it on top of your windows. It's its own entity.

For new people to the linux game I recommend ubuntu(still free, I think). It comes ready right after the install no updates needed which most distributions are doing now.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 PM

Ok. so is Linux any good for gaming?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

Quote:
No,not really. There is a program called wine which will let you play some games. It has to emulate windows so the games can be played. It takes a long time to get games updated and it chews up more processing power in the process. And also linux is not capable of using windows programs unless its coded for both and that usually never happens.
If your gaming stick with XP. There is no better currently.
But like I said before, for just basic computing like word processing or web surfing linux is great. Other than that the lack of being able to install windows apps gets a little frustrating
Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
What is Debian? I have heard of linux, but do you need another OS as a base or what?
Also, I don't have SP2, so is this good, bad, or ugly with my aforementioned specs?

(I now cower in corner, thinking I asketh
(too many queries)

Decipher THAT
Debian GNU/Linux is the distribution that forms the foundation for a lot of others, like Knoppix, Ubuntu, Linspire. The standing joke is that there are more distributions of "Linux" than there are users. It's a joke, but is theoretically possible to do just because all the parts necessary are completely free. Debian home page: http://www.debian.org

You probably do have "SP2" if you're running MS XP. That's "Service Pack 2" and is installed if you've ever allowed the system to update via the Internet. That football coach I mentioned in an earlier comment didn't think he had it, either. He did.

Quote:
For people with windows just leave or auto update on. They are always adding key security updates that will keep you running.
That won't work for MS Windows 98 since it is past "end of life" and is no longer supported. Auto-update for MS XP and later includes the undesireable "feature" of sending personally identifiable information back to MS.

The "pretty steep learning curve" you mention for Linux is dependent on many factors. Ubuntu, as you recommend, eliminates the frustration for most people using most hardware. If it doesn't, just pop in another Live CD and try another distribution. Sooner or later, almost everyone finds one that fits them.

Quote:
That depends on the game. Doom 1 - 3, Quake 2 and up, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, all work better than under MS Windows. There are games that only run in MS Windows, such as EA Sports football games. You can get more info at http://www.tuxgames.com or http://www.happypenguin.org

Some games intended for MS Windows-only will run under Wine or Cedega, but I haven't used either one in a few years, so I couldn't even guess at the current state of either one. See http://www.transgaming.com/ and http://winehq.org/
Old 03-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
No,not really. There is a program called wine which will let you play some games. It has to emulate windows so the games can be played. It takes a long time to get games updated and it chews up more processing power in the process. And also linux is not capable of using windows programs unless its coded for both and that usually never happens.
If your gaming stick with XP. There is no better currently.
But like I said before, for just basic computing like word processing or web surfing linux is great. Other than that the lack of being able to install windows apps gets a little frustrating
I have a few nits to pick with you over that. WINE == Wine Is Not an Emulator. It doesn't emulate MS Windows; it's an independently created library of the MS Windows APIs. You might want to take a look at http://winehq.org/site/myths

As for MS XP being "better" for gaming, that completely depends upon the game. If the game is released for MS Windows only, your statement is obviously and unarguably true.

It's still a chicken and egg dilemma right now, as games publishers have no way of gauging how many Linux installations are out there. They can't count sales, because 1 CD can be used to install a million systems. They can't even go by how many government institutions, schools and businesses use Linux, because that doesn't tell them how many games purchasers are among the users.

id Software is the smart one, there. They release Linux versions, then when the game sales taper off, they release the source and reap the benefits of all those Linux gamers tinkering with it. They learned how valuable such widespread 'hacking' and feedback could be from their original release of the just the wad info for Doom 1. Now they do it for even the games engines themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.