Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Windows in a chopped 46 Chevy truck
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

46 chrvy truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyFather
I was planning on having all my glass done at some glass shop in the area. Everyone has told me this is the best way of doing it.

My question has more to do with any modifications that I need to make to the regulator or anything else. I guess it's probably just cutting the new channels shorter? I notice that the existing glass has a metal frame around it. Is this necessary? From what I've read, it was added in 41 to cut down on broken glass due to channel wear. Can I just go back in with thicker glass with no metal frame?

Yes, the door top will need to be stretched.

So do you regret not having the hinged frame on your windshield? I figure it's going to be $300+ to source and modify a frame (and find the crank components). I need to find out from my son how important that hinged windshield is. We plan on doing a rag-top on this cab, so we should have plenty of air coming in that way to make up for the wind/bugs coming in through the windshield.
I was going to say you don't need the metal, but I think you will find it would be better with a cloth top. As far as the channel goes let your glass shop put those in, for the windows that crank up, you need a different channel than if you used power windows. The regulators should not have to be changed as you roll them up as far as they will go.

Bob