Hot Rod Forum banner

windshield

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
have new glass and gasket. Wanted to find a video but cant find one with the curved glass like my 1962 pickup. Can someone tell me if there is one out there

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
this is a pretty good video for any rubber gasket windshield install
pretty much the same way a bud and i installed one on my 58 truk
no sealant, soapy water (windex works) and a rope; this one also has the metal trim
2 of us installed mine in about an hour, 3 people would have worked better

and if you haven't been over there look at the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum
The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
best site i've seen for chevy trucks of all years :D

#3 ·
The glass is curved and the rubber gasket will not stay on without tape. Is it ok to put liquid butyl in the part that holds the glass or do I tape and remove the tape when the rope reaches it? Would not be haveing this problem if it had a almost flat glass like a 1965 or so. Another question I have is do I start pulling the rope from center top or center bottom? You can see by the before and after that the cab had a lot of rust that I sand blasted and fixed. Thanks for the info and any more would be helpful.

Attachments

#5 ·
The glass is curved and the rubber gasket will not stay on without tape. Is it ok to put liquid butyl in the part that holds the glass or do I tape and remove the tape when the rope reaches it?
If you can warm the weather strip up in the sun or near a heater do that. DO NOT us any glue. As for were to start.... I don't think there is a must start position. The end is always the hardest. If I remember the ones we have done, we do one side and then the other, you can pull one end of the rope then catch up with the other. It does help to have someone with experience to help set the glass as you go around just in case it does not drop in.

#4 · (Edited)
glass install

Make sure the flanges are smooth, hammer and dolly, sometimes the guy doing the welding would have his spot weld gun crooked. Also make sure there are no sharp burrs or spot weld flash that would damage your new rubber. File sand or grind the flange as needed. It can help to have the rubber warm, almost too hot to handle. usually the nylon cord is doubled at the top. , start at one side, around the perimeter, then doubled across to the other side.
for a while my brother worked at Ford, would do a windshield with a helper in about 5 minutes, install the rubber to the glass, then into the truck. I still have a couple of factory windshield tools I bought at the Garage Sale when they closed the factory, to install the cord to the slot in the rubber, it has an oval ring welded on the end of a screwdriver, thread the cord thru the hole then pull it around the rubber. Another "regulator" tool, A 1/4 inch tool steel rod turned down to form a 1/4 in ball on the end, 1/8 in neck taper back a couple inches. the end is bent L shaped with a 1 inch leg. Then it was pressed into a screw driver handle. It is used to help pull a stubborn rubber inside and not tear or cut it.

#14 ·
Make sure the flanges are smooth, hammer and dolly, sometimes the guy doing the welding would have his spot weld gun crooked. Also make sure there are no sharp burrs or spot weld flash that would damage your new rubber. File sand or grind the flange as needed. It can help to have the rubber warm, almost too hot to handle. usually the nylon cord is doubled at the top. , start at one side, around the perimeter, then doubled across to the other side.
for a while my brother worked at Ford, would do a windshield with a helper in about 5 minutes, install the rubber to the glass, then into the truck. I still have a couple of factory windshield tools I bought at the Garage Sale when they closed the factory, to install the cord to the slot in the rubber, it has an oval ring welded on the end of a screwdriver, thread the cord thru the hole then pull it around the rubber. Another "regulator" tool, A 1/4 inch tool steel rod turned down to form a 1/4 in ball on the end, 1/8 in neck taper back a couple inches. the end is bent L shaped with a 1 inch leg. Then it was pressed into a screw driver handle. It is used to help pull a stubborn rubber inside and not tear or cut it.
Timothale - Could you post dome pictures of those tools?? :drool::drool:
We would really appreciate it
Thanks

#7 ·
the gm manual for the 55-59 trucks (same sort of says install the rubber to the glass, then install the rope around the perimeter with the ends overlapping in the top centre. lay the window in and use the rope to pull the rubber around the window opening flange. have a helper push on the window and rubber. what it doesn't say is to tell the helper not to push too hard in a concentrated area because the glass will break easily. BOOM, NEW WINDOW PLEASE!
just saying, be careful. check the window in the opening first with the glass to make sure it fits with the proper clearances. just cause it's new doesn't mean it fits.

#9 ·
tape the rubber on, just leave a flag for easy removal of the tape
installing a windshield is easier than it looks, no brain surgery or rocket scientists needed
put a blanket on your hood, rubber on glass, rope in rubber from the bottom edge and tape it to the glass
it does help to put tape on the center of the glass and frame to help with the initial set

#10 ·
I like to use a fairly thin rope and I go around the glass twice starting at the bottom. Use tape to hold rubber to the glass 1 1/2 or 2 " masking tape works great. Leave it long enough so you have plenty to get a hold of to remove it as you come to it as you install the glass. Pull the rope from the inside and if you can have someone on the outside putting just a small amount of pressure on the glass. Go around the glass twice with the rope.

#15 ·
Yeah, how about a few pictures of them with a ball point pen next to it to show comparison size.

Your description is awesome and I think I have the idea, and it makes perfect sense. I will be making myself one. I need to swap out the glass in the Rambler, prefect timing for me to read this. Thanks for bringing it back up George!

Brian

#16 ·
this brings back memories.... about 6 years ago, i found a good windshield from a junker. paid $65 for it. decided to have a glass place install it because i was by myself and didn't want to crack it. they screwed around with it and eventually cracked it trying to get it all the way in. they got me another at cost and installed that one MY WAY. i took some murphy's oil soap with me and made them use it. that did the trick.

#17 ·
windshield tool

Here are picts of the tool to install the cord. The regulator tool must be 300 Mi south , You could make one by spinning an old phillips screw driver with the shank in a drill and using a small grinder to make the taper and the ball end, heat and bend.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.