Windshield Frame doesn't fit - help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003, 10:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Windshield Frame doesn't fit - help

Hi , I'm new to this board so I'm hoping someone will have a solution to my problem. I chopped the top on my '30 A sportcoupe and thought everything checked out. Unfortunately I didn't check the windshield frame to ensure it sat flat before I painted the car . Now with rubber seals installed (Stock type) , I have about a 3/16 inch gap at the top of the piller that tapers to nothing at the bottom of the frame. Placing a straight edge on the face of the pillar shows a bulge just above the cut area. My guess is after welding and skim coating the pillar with metal to metal I created a bulge. Other than stripping down the Bc/CC is their another option to sealing the frame? Thanks , Dale

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

My reader comprehension is about a 3 from 1-10 so forgive me if I get your question all wrong. Is your problem that you have a bulge at the top of the frame the prevents the winsheild from sitting flat with the rubber? If so this may not be totally your fault. That metal 2 metal filler is weird stuff. I used to use it, I did a '69 charger about 2yrs ago and used metal 2 metal and on 3 or 4 of the spots even though it was smooth and true right before paint about two weeks later it started to bubble and bulge. Try sticking it with a pin in a few places and put some pressure on it. If that doesn't lower the bulge, take it down and fix it.

To answer if theres and option other than the rubber seal, yes. Go to your local auto store and buy a box of 3M windsheild urethane sealent. Its a coiled up strip of black urethane sealent it will solve your sealing problem enen with the bulge. Never tried it on a verticle windsheild, but considering its pretty sticky stuff it could work with some clips to hold the windsheild in place, or maby chrome strips. I'm sure someone will have a solution for you if I bomb out.

HK
Old 01-03-2003, 05:15 AM

Ihave a 31 coupe stock no chop and it is the same way fits perfect at the bottom top has gap
i routed the wood at the top and set it back and i bought all new parts.i was told by many people
that some were like that
Old 01-03-2003, 04:00 PM

HEY 30: There was a story in Rod& Custom mag about a product for trimming around windows. The website is WWW.flexchrome.com it looks like a great product. I hope it helps. DAVE SHANK
Old 01-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

30...if you get a chance snap a pic and post in on here so we can better know what you are talking about then I'm sure we can help you solve it.

Kevin

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.